Do you still use a camera other than your phone?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dawnmarch, Oct 3, 2022.

1. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I only use my phone if that's all I have. I LOVE my dlsr's - I've had a Nikon D500 for about 3 years, and a few months ago bought a D850. I can't quite make myself jump on the mirrorless bandwagon, and I wanted to grab a full frame while they're still available. I just really enjoy the challenge of mastering an actual camera vs. point and shoot with a phone.

2. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

1. Do you use a non-phone camera like a dSLR, point-and-shoot or (gasp!) even a film camera?
    I use my Nikon D500 with a variety of lenses (macro, wide angle, zoom, primes) probably about 40% of the time, my Nikon P950 50% and my Sony mirrorless RX10 IV 10% of the time. They all serve a purpose and I enjoy having them all.

2. I see some AMAZING phone photos online but I confess that I'm a way better photographer with almost any other kind of camera. Are you good a phone photography? What are your secrets? :D
    I try to frame/position my shots as best I can to avoid distractions in the background if they aren't part of what I want to capture. I look for pleasing angles and composition/framing. Using my iphone allows me the chance to grab a few quick shots in a setting where I might not have much time, is non-obtrusive and is great for selfies.

3. If you shoot with a non-phone camera, how do you decide when it's "worth it" to lug it along?
    Of all my cameras, my D500 gives me the best quality so I'll use that when possible but when weight, portability or distance of walking is a factor, then I will use one of my lighter cameras, Nikon P950 for wildlife or Sony RX10 VI for indoor/outdoor walk around use (good for holidays).

Another plus of having the P950 or RX10 IV is that they are very light so I sometimes hang one of those around my neck as I carry the dslr so can shoot with either of them easily. I often do this on photo walks when I want a combination of wide angle landscape shots and super zoom for wildlife.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  3. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I feel like I always find something that makes me regret not having taken my "big" camera, but this is usually how I approach the question also.

4. dawnmarch

The Olympus cameras are really well rated and I would be tempted if it weren't for my ill-fated foray into Fuji which made me realize that I'm too old to switch to a new system! The funny thing is that I shoot with about 20 different film cameras and have no problem with that but I just couldn't ever feel comfortable with the Fuji mirrorless. But you mentioned the one thing that has me holding off -- the ML cameras are changing and improving so rapidly that I've been delaying buying one to let the market sort of level off a bit. Not sure if that'll ever happen, tho. :D

5. dawnmarch

This was part of the reason I got the D6 back in the day but I found the transfer interfaces kind of clunky so I mostly stopped using them. Hopefully they have gotten better or will get better.

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  6. dawnmarch

I feel like it is the low light photos where I'm most dissatisfied. Maybe I need to work on my phone technique. The convenience is definitely key, though, and I have gone on several small vacations only taking my phone because of that.

7. dawnmarch

Me too! I just find there is so much more versatility with a real camera. As a compromise, I bought a Ricoh Gr last year which is a "prosumer" point and shoot that lets you adjust shutter speed and fstops and ISO, etc. So mastering that has been a fun challenge also.

8. dawnmarch

I carried two cameras back in the day shooting weddings. They'd have to be really light these days for me to do that again. :D

9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

1. Do you use a non-phone camera like a dSLR, point-and-shoot or (gasp!) even a film camera? Yep, I have 3 Canon cameras. A Canon Rebel T5, a Canon SX540 and a Canon SX740.

2. I see some AMAZING phone photos online but I confess that I'm a way better photographer with almost any other kind of camera. Are you good a phone photography? What are your secrets? :D Absolutely horrible with taking photos with my phone. My hands shake when I use my phone as a camera. I just can't hold it steady enough to take decent photos. I will use it to take a photo of something in a store that I want to research later but that's about it (and only if I don't have my "purse" camera with me).

3. If you shoot with a non-phone camera, how do you decide when it's "worth it" to lug it along? My Canon SX740 is what I call my "purse camera". It is small enough that it fits nicely in the purse or even a pocket if I'm taking a walk. And, it is easy to take photos using one hand which is something I can't do with my phone. If I'm going to special events then I will pull out one of the other cameras to take or maybe even both of them since I do have a bag that will hold them both. Then I can determine which camera to use when I get there.

10. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I used to carry my Canon A95 as my purse camera. Nowadays I just use my iPhone as I am able to hold it steady. I do have it in an Otterbox case with a built in Pop Socket so I can take the occasional selfie. Pre-Pop Socket I couldn't manage to hold the phone in one hand to take a steady selfie.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  11. LynnG

LynnG Designer

Do you use a non-phone camera like a dSLR, point-and-shoot or (gasp!) even a film camera?
    I do, although mainly for work shoots because news photo agencies won't take phone pics ( I occasionally get called in to cover news events here for Getty). Sometimes I have to take video on my iphone as well, and then I am juggling the heavy camera and the phone and it's a challenge!

I've got a big old Canon but I have also bought a mirrorless Fuji which takes lovely pics, and is MUCH lighter. I only have the kit lens for that AND am not as quick yet at changing the settings while literally on the run (photographing protests etc) so I am still using the Canon for work for now. I hope to switch to the Fuji for the sake of my shoulder AND also for taking photos while travelling. I admit, though, increasingly my go to is my phone for photos for my own use and for my partner's site. And it is actually better at taking low light/night shots.It's a little scary to be honest!

But the DSLR/mirrorless is better at creative shots like those taken with very fast/very slow shutterspeeds.

12. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Yeah, I had a Canon A95 as well for many years. That was my first "purse camera". I tried others but none had the feel of the A95. I still had the A95 so measured it and looked for a camera that was close to those measurements. SX740 met my requirements and has filled the void left by the A95.

If I hold my phone with one hand, you can't even tell what the photo is of because I just can't hold it steady. I have to have a death grip of my camera. LOL

13. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I have a nice cannon digital camera and I am looking to upgrade to a nikon in the near future (I used a nikon at the photo studio I was manager at the last year).... but most day to day photos are my phone...
    although I have been pulling out my cannon more often to snap

14. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Oh, I totally understand this! Two camera, camera bag, tripods... Then if we were shooting video with the old professional cameras, along with the battery packs and those massive tripods. At least some of that has gotten considerably more lightweight as time has gone by!

15. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

my phone doesn't have camera on it.
    I use a digital camera that's a hybrid point and shoot / SLR.

16. dawnmarch

I hadn't anticipated this answer but it makes sense that lots of people don't have cameras on their phones. My step-dad doesn't even have a cell phone so he uses a camera. He was a police photographer back in the day, so I should ask him what he thinks of cell phone cameras (he uses my mom's to post stuff on ebay, I think).

Angela Toucan likes this.
  17. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I don't even know where my DSLR is right now. We had some flooding in the basement almost a year ago and moved things to different rooms in the house. With how crazy work has been We still haven't put evrything beack where it goes. My camera was in my bag still from our last trip. I know it wasn't water damaged, but I have no idea where that bag is at. I am going to have to find it. I basically just use my phone unless I am taking shots of the moon.