do you have life insurance?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by la, Jan 22, 2013.

1. la

la A closet sap

I keep tossing around the idea that i should get some soon.. I priced stuff out the other day and got totally overwhelmed -.- I'm only 30 so these 10 year fixed rates seem pretty idiotic.. it's just going to get super expensive as i get old. I also want one of these no medical exam ones seeing that's the whole reason I want life insurance.. if I up and keel over lol.

So do you have insurance? did you shop around? did you get a 10,15,20,30 yr fixed term rate or did you bite the bullet and get whole life insurance?

2. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

absolutely do! too much earning potential to leave my family without if the unthinkable happens.

3. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

We have no insurance of any kind right now (other than car and renters). It's super scary to me, but hopefully DH will be working full time again soon, supposedly the company he works for has really awesome benefits for their employees...his last company the benefits were awful. I would definitely prefer to have life insurance (lol and health insurance)...I don't know what we'd do if something happened to one of us, but right now there just isn't the money for it.

4. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

Rick has it. I don't right now...because I wanted to lose weight first. If I lose about 30 pounds, it will be like half the price! (famous last word) I don't need much on me...maybe $300,000 or so. He has his pension now so if I just have enough on me to pay off the house, the cars, etc...and some extra, he'll be just fine.

I will have my sister-in-laws mom get mine for me. She's a broker...and I trust her! :)

Rick shopped around for his.

They have some where you don't have to get a medical exam? Never heard of those.

I'm going to get a 30 year on me since I'm still "young". Rick has a 20 year...I wish he'd gotten a 30 year now.

I definitely think you should get some La!! I think everyone should!

5. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

None on me, but my husband has $1M. We are trying to get $2M more, but now that he's a private pilot, the rates are ridiculous.

He said he feels like he's putting a bounty on himself. :rofl

But seriously, as the only real wage earner, he can't just up and leave me high and dry!!!

6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

we have life insurance through DH's work. We based how much coverage each of us should have by what the survivor would need. So, if I die, there's enough money to cover full-time care for the kids (because I refuse to let my MIL be their caregiver and DH knows this) for at least 2 years as well as buy a house and have their college taken care of. If he dies, there's enough money I can move back to MI (where my parents live) and buy a house. And never have to work.

7. lmjrocko

lmjrocko See that in my rear view mirror? That's Michigan!

I have a 20 year fixed that I can cash in if I need too in 20 yrs. The way the dividends are paying right now in 20 yrs I could cash it in in 20 yrs for what I have in it. So I'm looking at it like a retirement if I don't kick that so called bucket lol.

8. jenny

jenny jenny

I've had life insurance since I was 18 and DH since the year we got married. It's just the two of us, but I like that we have some kind of security should something happen before we're you know, much older.

9. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Am I really that rotten? I can't remember. I'm s

Yes, absolutely. We both have it through work but Eric also has another larger policy on himself b/c our home is owned by his job, so if he dies the kids and I are homeless.

After seeing my brother-in-law pass away at age 30, I think EVERYONE should have it. Things happen that we don't want to think about.

10. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Just through my work for me. John has a separate policy on him.

11. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

We do. We've always had it as an option with employment. Scott was in the military and had a policy with them (that was a must have)... now we have less, but our goal is about 100,000 each. If we can get more, then great. If someone happens to him for example, he's the bread winner and in a short amount of time, we'll have a baby to provide for too.

It's hard to think about, but in the long run, it's a necessity.

And we are young too, mid thirties.
    We've had it for 8+ years already too.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  12. Heather Prins

Heather Prins Heather Prins

yes we bought ours right after we got married.

13. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Our financial advisor recommended we both get $1M 10-year coverage as a minimum for looking after the kids. In 10 years, they'll be almost old enough to be on their own, so we'll see whether we renew. Also, we have mortgage insurance, so if dh dies, it is all paid off.

Funny story, when we were getting our home check-up for getting our life insurance, they discovered I had crazy high BP (160/110!), which led to finding out I had a mass on a kidney, electrical problem with my heart, a mass in one lung, so needless to say, I was declined... Unfortunately, I'm the higher wage earner, so that's a big problem for us (but only if I die!).

If only we had done this a year earlier when none of this was a problem. So do it now while you are healthy!

14. kim21673

kim21673 I'm slowly getting there!

Yes...we have private insurance and insurance through Tim's work too. We also have policies on the boys too.

15. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

my husband and I each have a policy - more on him than me since he is the breadwinner! We had a whole life policy, and got a real bad taste about it - not sure if is the best route, but that probably all depends on each indiv. situation! We now just have 30 yr. fixed policies! If you can get some at a reasonable price I say do it!!!

16. karen perry

karen perry LOCK THE DOOR!

We have it but I've only done it in the last year or so after losing my brother in law I expectantly so young,my sister was prepared cause she always had her affairs in order but we never had and it got me thinking why and how would my children pay for our funerals,I didn't want that burden for them so set up a plan which would leave them with a substantial amount and the funerals paid too,I also did separate policy's for me and my husband because if it was joint if something happened to one of us and claimed it would then be void and would have to set up another which my husband would not have a clue how to do

17. cherpea

cherpea Well-Known Member

Life insurance is a must... I have it and have had for more than 20 years now... actually need to look at bumping it up cause its really not enough to cover settling my mortgage now... and being a single mama I want the girls to have my house to do with what they want NOT have to sell it to cover part of the mortgage...

It grates on my nerves watching the premium go up each year (damn getting older!) and see it come out from the bank each fortnight but still I wouldn't be with out it... or house/contents/car the last couple of years here in Canterbury with the earthquakes has seen me claim on the first for the first time ever and the contents again...

18. melrio

melrio I will hunt you!

Got my paycheck last Friday and about fainted with how much insurance I signed up for. I'm worth more dead than I am alive! Even told DH that if anything happens to me, I'll have everyone hunting his butt down first! LOL But seriously, I think you can never have too much life insurance especially with a family.

19. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

Yes, we both do. DG has it through work and an additional policy on top of that. And I have one as well. We both also have wills (which I believe is enormously important). GL finding a policy that best fits for you!

20. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

I agree totally! At first my dh just had $200k. I was like "what am I supposed to do with that?". He said "pay off the house!". AND THEN WHAT? Not like I can suddenly find some kind of awesome job making what he makes minus what the mortgage was. I told him if he really loves me, he'll make sure that I never have to work again. The least he can do for leaving me. :giggle