Do You Have an Instapot?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by JillW, Dec 7, 2017.

1. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

We've been debating about getting an "Instapot' or something comparable ... do you have one? Do you use it? Do you love it?

2. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I bought one on Amazon prime day. I haven't used it a ton, but it has been super helpful for when I have a time crunch. I will say, it's a bit deceiving when it says "Roast in 45 minutes" because there's also the time it takes to come up to pressure, and the time to bring it down. So if you get one, read the recipe carefully and add ALL those times together. I'm not sure I use it enough to truly justify the price. Funny thing - I LOVE it for hard boiled eggs. They peel off in one solid shell. And rice is super quick.

So, yes I have one. I use it somewhat. I wouldn't say I love it, but I haven't given it much chance.

3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I have one and love it! I use it for baked potatoes, mashed potatoes the most. I also do frozen chicken breast with any kind of seasoning. It cooks so fast and shreds great for sandwiches. Hard boiled eggs are the bomb. I would have bought it if that is all it does.
    I have friends that do tamales in them, and more. I haven't really ventured out yet, but my favorite part is that in the summer it is 110 degrees here, and the instant pot does not heat up my kitchen! big plus!

MrsPeel, Sokee, Karen and 3 others like this.
  4. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I have one. Makes the best ribs. I use it like once a month, but that's because my kids don't eat grown up food, so it's just me & DH. Oh, & I made crème brulee in it. Amazing!

5. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Asking for one for Christmas :)

Karen and JillW like this.
  6. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I have one on my Christmas list as well... we'll see if I get one though.

Karen and JillW like this.
  7. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I LOVE mine!! I have the 6st Lux60 V3 which is an older model without the yogurt button (because I am NOT making yogurt!) and I use it ALL the time, mainly for meats.

There is a learning curve, but it's not too terribly bad. I love that I can brown my hamburger meat in there, drain the grease and just add the rest of the stuff when I make unstuffed cabbage soup without having to have yet another dirty dish to wash. Other than the cabbage in my cabbage soup, I haven't cooked veggies or rice in it, but people rave about it. I also haven't tried hard boiled eggs yet, there seems to be a lot of hit/miss with that. I've made one pot spaghetti with sauce in it and it turned out good!

My first roast, I'm not sure what happened to it; most of it was fork shreddable, but for some reason a chunk in the middle wasn't tender and was kind of dry? Not sure if I didn't add enough liquid or if I cooked it too long or too short, hubby still ate it though.

I do suggest getting the non-stick pot, it does make cleaning a lot easier!

JillW likes this.
  8. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Bought one for my hubby last year for Christmas. He's used it once. Those were some pretty good ribs.

9. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I have the 6 qt one and love it! We use it mostly for rice, potatoes, boiled eggs and chicken.

I was afraid to use it at first, so I watched a youtube video and Indigo Nili is the best. Here's her youtube channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9xO_tJeaa6yXkGx5-piTNGIOQ6poIP4t

Here's the unboxing and assembly one. Watch it first.

And the water test to make sure it's working properly before you try cooking.

MrsPeel and wvsandy like this.
  10. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

We got ours last year for Christmas. I use it for hard boiled eggs, black beans, and mashed potatoes. The hard boiled eggs make it worth it for me.

AnneofAlamo and JillW like this.
  11. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I have one and love it...for all the reasons everyone else has mentioned :). I am so bad about forgetting to put things out to thaw for dinner, so I love that I can cook chicken from frozen in no time. I've done lots of variations by changing up what I put in there with it.

JillW likes this.
  12. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I ordered my Instant Pot on Cyber Monday and I’ve used it almost everyday since receiving it. I love it, unlike my air fryer that I hate!

Karen likes this.
  13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I really should get one of these because I have like ZERO time to cook anything good at home these days. I'm intrigued mostly by the being able to cook chicken from frozen to shreddable... that would be SO handy! And my family inhales hard boiled eggs whenever I make them... which is rare because I hate peeling them. Lol.

14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

:giggle

15. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I had one, but I actually didn't love it... I know, I know, I am probably the ONLY one lol. I do love my crockpot, though.

16. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

We're getting one for Christmas. I want to cook soup beans like lima and pinto. The eggs intrigue me.

17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I have a similar all-in-one cooker, a Ninja. Can't say how it compares to the instant pot but it works great to use as a crockppot and pressure cooker. I no longer use my old manual pressure cooker. The electric cooker is so much easier.

18. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

I have one...and I LOVE it!! It makes up great meals...SO quick!!!

19. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I was looking through the forum in the hope of remembering more names from yesterday chat and saw this so I thought I come give my 2 cents :) not sure if it is the right expression! :giggle
    I am a bit with Julie, in the I m not sure it justify the price for the amount I use it.....and 100% is deceiving on the time to cook stuff...because not only the waiting for the heat to get to pressure point, but also the preparation it takes.....
    The girls (Sarita and her best friends) gave me as a pre Christmas present, they got me a King Pro which is very similar in shape/design, and cheaper here in the UK.
    I loved it when it arrived, it is smaller and lighter than my slow cooker which means I can move it, (our kitchen is tiny so I have to store it) but then when we got on to make stuff, I realized that the main reason I had bought it for, the fact that I can make everything in the same pot is not a reality in the one we bought, because of the shape, is impossible to golden meat or saute stuff properly in that small, tall space....so some recipes it is faster to do it in frying pans and then the cooking time for the rest is quiet fast in most my recipes so I haven't really given much use till now.
    The meat preparation, frying the beef/chicken/whatever and onions and garlic, then some recipes also ask for you to cook an extra 5 or 10 minutes in a different setting without the lid and then cook on pressure, we haven't used that much.
    Now the one thing we want to start doing after Christmas, is what I think Anne describes...
    If you have time to prepare stuff, say marinate chicken, make portions of fish with garnish, cut freezable veggies and generally almost anything you can freeze to then stick in the Insta Pot...it maybe much better than the microwave... I find the microwave somehow transforms taste with some recipes, so we intend to get cooking for the week and freeze for later, so I guess we will find out, I hope it works as I am determined to do MOC this year!!!! (I think I made 28 or 29 pages last year!!!!)
    I will though, try the hard boil egg thing...we both love them, but with my arthritis my hands suffer to peel hard boil eggs so thanks for the tip Julie!!!! @mrs2a50

20. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.