Do you have a process for.....

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Mar 24, 2023.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

downloading and unzipping?

I find it the most tedious task after organizing (but I've given up on that pipe dream for now). So do you have a tried and true method to make it less overwhelming for lack of a better word?

I already have 7zip that I have used for ages.

Maybe it is just because I tend to be downloading/unzipping large quantities at a time (think either a number of products or a good few older Storyteller Collections worth at a time)

umyesh likes this.
  2. ninigoesdigi

ninigoesdigi Designer

Buy, download, unzip at once lol
    If you are too greedy and wait then comes the painful work lol
    Plus some files might be corrupted and you'll have to get back in there anyway so better know right away, no?

Not helpful, I know :lol

I do use 7zip too. Love it but it's just unzipping, it's not doing the organizing work for you so the only way is to do it gradually and if you do grab a lot at once you should unzip and tidy right away because it will just pile up. Unless you keep the folders as they are which I don't. I am super specific on how I want my files in a kit, and I even change designers files names for preview if I don't like it! I AM A FREAK with DIGI OCD, remember!!!!! :lmao

3. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

me ... so over whelmed

upload_2023-3-24_22-54-54.png

LivyBug likes this.
  4. littlekiwi

I'm getting better at not waiting to download now that I am not buying while on my phone (my phone is currently dead) so I figure if I am buying while on my computer I might as well download while I am at it. Unzipping and organizing into the correct folders well that takes a bit longer unless its for CT work then I do it immediately

5. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Since I'm mostly doing CT stuff, I unzip everything at once when I'm working. But regardless I'm not a big procrastinator with my files. I unzip and immediately file.
    I create the kit folder in my downloads folder.
    ex. kit name
    Then I open the unzipped folders one at a time that correspond to that kit/product
    I grab all the papers and move them into the folder
    I repeat for each different folder....ie. elements, cards, alpha etc
    Then it's all in that one folder ready to use.
    I delete all the unzipped folders that went to that product and start with the next product.
    The only thing that goes differently is for a strictly template designer, like FDD or SWL
    I only download the TIFF files.
    I move them into their main folder. So I can see them all at one time like a big preview window. I don't keep those in folders at all.

Cath_ likes this.
  6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I download, unzip, file and create a layout.
    Sorry not much help.
    I love my goodies, can't wait to unzip and play.

jk703, ninigoesdigi and Cath_ like this.
  7. designbylime

designbylime Definitely a cat person.

I've the designer, when I'm downloading something I make a map in the designers map with the name of the kit or what I'm downloading and then I unsip right away. I can always check the days in folders so I think that is a bit easier. Helpful, I don't know if it helps but I've done this since I started download anything. At least I've everything with the right designer :)

8. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I always unzip as close to downloading as possible.

9. ninigoesdigi

ninigoesdigi Designer

Oh right. I didn't think about buying from phone. I hate using my phone for that. I always work from my desktop.
    Phone is just for calls, texting, social media and browsing lol, I don't even like to log in to a forum from my phone. My chubby fingers get the best... worst? of me :hairpol

10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

When I buy any kits I list everything on a spreadsheet that I track what I've bought and if it has been backed up. Then I start downloading and I save each zip into a folder for the kit in the designer folder. I don't use my downloads folder at all for this stuff. Then I just unzip using windows right into the kit folder. Once all zips are extracted I copy all papers and elements into the main folder. Alphas go in sub-folders in the kit folder. Empty folders are deleted.

Once I have extracted and organized each purchase, I copy the folders to my 2 EHD's (zip files included). The zip files on the EHD's are moved to folders where all my zips resides (and, yes I have needed them in the past). The zips on my desktop drive are then deleted.

Then I update the spreadsheet as to the date when the kits were put on the EHD's.

11. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I don't have much of a process for unzipping. My mac downloads and unzips. I do download them into a specific kits download folder. Usually i download from the store invoice. Occasionally, I will buy something from my iPad and then I'll be sure to check for the download links next time I'm on my computer.

Sometimes that download folder will build up a bit. I like to combine everything under one kit folder before moving into my kit stash. Once that is done, I'll move them into sort of a temporary folder called "new stuff" that will let me more easily import it into lightroom (I tag the preview for each at this point). That's kind of nice too, because then I have all the new things in one subfolder of my digi-stash. Eventually, they will go into designer folders. I'm a little behind on this part.

12. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I download and unzip right away. I download all files to my general TLP folder. Then, I use ACDSee to Unzip the files into a folder for that kit (folder structure is TLP<Designer<kit). Even after unzipping, I do keep the unzipped files in my general TLP folder until I have tagged that kit. It is my reminder to go back and tag if I'm too impatient to do it at the time I download the files.

13. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I unzip and download as soon as I purchase. I never thought to clear out my downloads folder until people mentioned it here so sometimes I clear it and sometimes I don’t.

14. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I almost always unzip right away. The only time I don't is when I'm downloading those daily freebies or other things that are on a timeline & it's not matching up with my time! ;) Usually those get unzipped in a day or two tho- when I'm free next to get them organized. Once unzipped- everything either goes into my "CT WORK" folder or "TO BE USED" folder (separated by store.)

15. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

might you explain a map

16. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm grateful Mac computers unzip automatically. All I have to do is move my new kits from my Downloads folder to my TLP folder. But first I do look inside each folder to admire my new goodies and I change the folder icon from the blue folder default to the kit preview so while I'm scrapping and scrolling through my TLP folder it's easy to see what I have.

17. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

I used to unzip as soon as I purchased but lately I haven't. I didn't think about files being corrupted, so YIKES! I better get to work on this and then just keep up like I used to.

ninigoesdigi likes this.
  18. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

I use Chrome on a Mac, and I have it ask me where to save when I download, so I pick one of my folders (either for CT or New Stuff I've bought). Once everything I've bought is downloaded I go and unzip right away and delete the zips. Then I combine the folders (on Mac this is simple - select the folders, right click 'New Folder with Selection' and I name it (kit name - designer name). Once I've gone through and combined and named them, then I add the previews to the folder and tag them with the store and year bought.

Sounds like a lot of work but it's like maybe 60 seconds per kit? I'm bad at moving them out of my 'New Stuff' folder into my organizing folders (by theme) though - because I don't want to miss using the new stuff, but the new stuff goes back 6 months+ lol Usually around the big sale weeks (NSD, DSD, Black Friday) I get the urge to file them into the theme folders.

19. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

I unzip them right away if I can! I use WinRAR which can extract multiple at once and you tell it where to extract to. So say for a kit with 5 ZIPs, I can unzip them all directly into a folder "Kit Name - Designer".

20. littlekiwi

hmm, maybe I need to unzip directly into the right folder cause at the moment I unzip to a 0-To Sort folder (added the zero so it is the first folder) then I sort into the right designers folder and delete any extras etc so I'm probably adding more steps than I need to

LivyBug likes this.