Digi paper portrait collage for PSP

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by zinzilah, May 5, 2014.

1. zinzilah

zinzilah One step at a time

This is something I've been promising for a while, a tutorial for digi paper portrait collage for PSP or with you help maybe not only.

This whole thing started when I saw the pin by Neisha on Pinterest with the geometric portrait of Twiggy with a promise of a tutorial. The links unfortunately were duff, but I thought to myself how hard would it be to figure it out, and after experimenting on 2-3 pictures of ducks I then spent 3 days trying with the first portrait. Several scrap-its and lets-start-it-agains from scratch. I made a mistake and created it first in the original resolution of 1024x768 and then liked it so much I wanted to do it again but this time not flood filling, instead using the solid papers. I finished it after 3 days and about 20 odd layers (all of which are merged layers in their own right)and it still looked too "patchworky", more than I wanted. So I set up a new task, and tried again until it comes almost easy. I will try to explain it to you here, but please remember I am hardly a wordsmith, so ask questions, if I can I will answer here, if I don't know, I am sure somebody will pick it up. I would like to keep it like open source, so we all add to the tutorial, and the experts in other programs if and when they work it out, or need to change something do so by adding to the thread therefore making it more usable by the others, and making more accessible and wide-spread. One more thing: I can hardly call it a tutorial, it's more of my thoughts on the matter and the looksie into how I do it. With that being said...

Let's begin. :) I thought it would be easier to show it on the new image, I haven't finished it at this stage, but I am sure we'll find out what it looks like in the end... eventually. If you want to learn from my mistakes save the intermediate stages! I lost my work around midnight last night (I guess I was too tired to notice which file I was closing without saving) so had to start again this morning but the first steps would have the last night's results showing, keep in mind that no two results from the same image will be the same. You don't have to choose a portrait, it can be landscape, full body, duck, sillhouette, you name it, it can be done, but I like portraits, so I open the photo made to fit the size I need it to be when I will eventually use it. Mine comfortably fits into a document 12x12 inches.
    tut1.jpg

I zoom in on the part I want to start with, I usually start with the eyes, so zoom in on the eyes, and select the area you will be filling with colour or paper next, again, you can use different tools, I do it with the lasso in Paint Shop Pro that I feel more comfortable with, having used it for 10 years. To create not too jagged an edge I use the point to point lasso with the smoothing of 13.

tut2.jpg

tut3.jpg

I open the white paper reverse the selection (Ctrl+shift+I) and hit delete, so that I am left with two blank eyes for that lovely zombie effect ;)

tut4.jpg
    tut5.jpg

I make the layer invisible (if at any point you need to ask HOW about anything, please, do, but for now I assume that you already know) and select the next portion of the eye.

tut6.jpg

Here is a small trick: I open the folder with different papers next to the portrait many a time to match the colour better, like now whilst looking for the colour of her eyes.

tut7.jpg

Now I use brush (round somewhat squashed and tilted) in black for the pupil, and white with reduced opacity for those highlights, I add a couple of lights using my trusty lassoo for those stray hairs in front of her baby blues, and then lighten the colour of selection with the Shift+B and playing with the sliders (remember that trick at any point of the game), if you want the two or more shades of the same tones of colour.

tut8.jpg

Continue building your image like that using papers to replace the selections. Remember you don't have to go from the bottom up like for a cake, if you want to create a detail of the cheek, and then decide to go for the major part of the face in the other colour, just position the layer underneath, save your time, not having to go carefully around the cheek highlight...
    tut9.jpg
    I keep blending the finished areas, that way you will keep it to a more manageable number, note, I saved the eye details separately from the face so that I could go back and add the eyelashes in between.

tut10.jpg

See when I finally get to doing them, I make them too dark to look realistic, (I used the lasso with smoothing 2 to create the shape) so I use the trick with Shift+B again to lighten them.

[​IMG]

I start working on the hair strands, this time I use freehand tool on some of the strands, and point to point on the others.
    [​IMG]
    I didn't save the intermediate photos and now only have the last png file but I hope you have understood the principles of building the image up, and merging once you are happy with the result. As a cheat in some of the other portraits I have done, I used one main paper to do the whole face, or arm for instance and then altered lighter and darker patches by using the lasso tool and Shift+B darkening or lightening the areas I wanted to change. See the dress for this exact technique.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Angela Toucan and Kate like this.
  2. carolee

carolee Humming along in the Neil mobile

Very cool Olga! Thanks for sharing this!

3. Valoriew

Valoriew Valoriew

oh i love this!!!! I played a tiny bit in the past! You're making me want to play again!!!! fun fun fun!

4. AmyG

AmyG Member

This is so cool! Thanks for this!

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  5. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Am I really that rotten? I can't remember. I'm s

Wow, this is so unique! What a fun tutorial!

6. sushimommy

sushimommy Could you point me to the helipad?

Thank you Olga! I snatched up the set Laurie Ann released with your written instructions and all of the papers this weekend as soon as I saw it in the store! Love the pictures - super helpful!

7. JuliettePerkins

JuliettePerkins I eat, sleep, breathe Apple.

I had a play with this in Photoshop CC last night, and having seen Olga's awesome tutorial here I can see where I went off on a different tangent with it. I decided to use the 'Poster Edge' filter to make my image look blockier (in terms of the transition between colours and tones), and from there I used the Magic wand tool to select each colour area. I expanded each selection by about 10px and then smoothed it by 10px, before opening a new layer and filling my selection with the paint pot. This created a mask that I could later clip the papers to.

And, now, I must now give it a try using the point to point lasso tool in Photoshop, it gives different (and much better) results to my mixed up version!

8. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

This is so cool!! Thanks for sharing!

[​IMG]

9. Katherine B

Katherine B 2, 4, 6, 8, who do we appreciate?!

10. loves2scrap

loves2scrap Member

Ok... I was able to play a bit with your tutorial. The pictures really helped! I thought of using the the cut out filter( Number of levels 3-6, Edge Simplicity 4, Edge Fidelity 2) but it doesn't give you as an organic look... it gives you a filtered look but it does help your eye to see where you need to make color changes and what colors. You could use both. Run the filter then use the lasso tool ( instead of the Magic Wand tool) to make a selection then copy the selection out of a paper that you want to use. Just for those like me who have a hard time seeing the subtle colors in a picture. Does that make any sense? Anyway here is my attempt. I did it without running the filter because I really wanted to see if I could do it. I don't think it is anywhere as good as Olga's.

I didn't have eyelashes (decided to avoid the eyes on my first attempt) but
    For the Eyelashes you could use a brush.
    http://www.deviantart.com/resources/applications/?q=eyelashes
    Or just draw them on yourself with a hard small brush

[​IMG]

Angela Toucan likes this.
  11. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

this is on my to do ASAP list! thank you so much for this!!!

12. Jenna

Jenna Jenna

Eyelash link is broken.

This is AMAZING! I bought the skin-tone kit this weekend, too. Cannot wait to play!!

13. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

Wow, well done!!! This turned out great!

[​IMG]

14. loves2scrap

loves2scrap Member

Sorry about that.... it should work now.
    Thanks Cristina!

15. Jenna

Jenna Jenna

16. zinzilah

zinzilah One step at a time

By the portrait number 10 I will do the freehand eyelashes on the first attempt I bet! LOL! I only corrected one piece on the last one which is debatable 8 or 9 in number, it's just that I can't be bothered to check ;) Love seeing the others trying their hand at this! Try it if you didn't yet, it's easy and so rewarding, I am working up to the four that I actually want to hang up on my walls for my birthday next month!

17. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

oh I know I blew up brain cells, but had fun!
    [​IMG]

Angela Toucan likes this.
  18. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

wOw to all this!!!!!

19. Lynne-Marie

Lynne-Marie there is beauty in everything

This is so fantastic!!!

20. pbrooks

pbrooks I need a realtor!

Unbelievable! I want to try this, thank you for sharing the tutorial.