Decluttering and Downsizing

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Sep 25, 2018.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This! So much this.
    In fact, Peter Walsh has a book I really liked called "Let It Go".
    [​IMG]
    He gets into the root of the problem emotionally too.

Me too!

I have a little toy soldier that my grandpa played with me. It means something because I have photos that go with it. And stories. And I remember watching my grandpa play with my little brothers with it. So I totally get this!

My mom in law was like this. She needed to downsize from the 1200 sqft + 1200sqft basement/storage room that she lived in alone. It took about 30 years to get her to that point. And sadly, it was because it just became too hard for her to do the stairs. She ended up finding a 55+ community that doesn't feel like that. It feels like a little neighborhood, just attached houses. And she moved. She moved all her crap. And was trying to pawn it off on everyone. But it took moving to realize that she had a lot of crap. And besides the smaller space, what actually helped her out was finding a place to donate that she loved the mission of. She donates to a place that lets homeless and woman starting over shop free. And then sells stuff and donates money to the homeless. That lets her give with a free heart knowing someone needs it more than her. (Sorry for the book.)

This is so true! I'm a little worried because we've been here for 2 years, and will be at least 2 more! Sigh.

LOL! Keeping in mind - I'm a memory keeper. I have a binder like that that my mom kept for me. And after dragging it across the country and back, I've finally realized that it's okay to just scan it and let it go! My only goal is to make sure when I scan the handprints that I keep them true to size. I'm going to make a book out of the digital copies so it'll be enjoyable to look at. Right now it's so bulky and clumsy.

I have a pantry, and keep stuff there. My kitchen is the one "cluttered" thing I have that I let be. Everything else, I work on. I have sugar, flour, and rice in 5 galloon buckets because I prefer cooking from scratch too.

2. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I don't know if this will help, but my Aunt has a really good way of decluttering. She says everyone of us should pretend we are moving to a new house every 2 years or so. Then room by room lift every single thing up, really hold it, not just glance at the shelf it is sitting on, and ask your self "when I move do I need this " ? or " When I move will this take up to much space " ?. That and if you have not used something, or worn something for the last 2 years , you never will again.
    As for the inherited things ? Perhaps make a keep sake box for each person, and stick to keeping only the amount that box will hold.
    I have used my aunts method in all rooms ,and apart from my craft room, it works ! In the craft room, and on the book shelves it was much harder. But lots of the craft stuff I gave to charity ,like after school centres, or kinder gardens. Still got to much craft stuff though , and definitely have way to many books ( my hubby reads a lot too ) . But I can live with that for now.
    Good luck.

QuiltyMom and bestcee like this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Courtney, @bestcee Peter Walsh is the guy that I learned all of my decluttering tips from! I couldn't think of his name. His advice to the homeowners really struck a chord with me. I took his advice and have followed it ever since.

bestcee and QuiltyMom like this.
  4. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

My home is good. I have a husband who is not sentimental at all and gets rid of everything, to the point where he has thrown things away that I then will go and pick back out and have to tell him why we are keeping it! I do have a craft room, and even though it is organized there could be a downsizing in that!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I love this!! Thanks for sharing it!

bestcee likes this.
  6. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Oh well I’ve just moved into a much bigger place.. I did get rid of a lot of stuff before the move but couldn’t make it through it all. I’ve bought lots of new stuff too since I’m here.
    So difficult to answer the question.
    But I like decorating. And I like thrift shopping and then hacking or upcycling those things. My house is definitely not a minimalistic house.
    I feel like I’m a normal person: not too hoarder, not too minimalist.

My rule: if something is broken or dirty/ugly, dump it. If I’m not gonna use it, donate it. Everything else can stay for now!

7. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'm going to check if the library has a copy!

bestcee likes this.
  8. bestcee

I'm glad I reminded you! I really enjoyed what I've read of his, and am going to read another one soon.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

He just makes sense, Courtney.

QuiltyMom and bestcee like this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I used to love to watch his show. I would cringe when he would have people put photos in the pitch pile though... the memory keeper in me just couldn't handle that!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  11. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

He does! I used to love the show Clean Sweep, mostly cuz of him!

QuiltyMom and Cherylndesigns like this.
  12. QuiltyMom

I actually placed something in my consignment store pile today. It was an adorable antique mini wooden spinning wheel from Sweden that I bought on eBay. I love it, it's cute, but it has no sentimental value. So, away it goes.

One step at a time, eh?

Tree City and bestcee like this.
  13. bestcee

What?!?!? I must search Youtube...

14. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Wait, what? You've not seen the show?

15. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Clean Sweep aired on TLC from 2003 to 2005. I loved watching it!

16. bestcee

Nope!
    That explains it! I never had cable during that time. Poor college students... :rolleyes:

Tree City likes this.
  17. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

When we moved across the country 3 years ago with only the stuff that could fit in my Aveo & my mom's crossover SUV, we got rid of nearly everything. We have collected some since then but not nearly as much as we had before. Stuff is just stuff to me so I don't mind pitching it.

My dad and sister love to pass things down that they are not using anymore instead of throwing it away or recycling it. Those things, 9 times out of 10, don't even make it into my house. I take the object because that makes them feel good, and then I chuck it in the trashcan by the deck on my way in the door. This happens at Christmas, too, when my extended family has gotten me various cheap knickknacks or house items that I would never use in a million years. We get home from my parents' after I've already sorted stuff into 'keep' and 'chuck' piles and then throw it in the trashcan on the way inside.

18. Heidi Nicole

Heidi Nicole Well-Known Member

I've always prided myself on not having too much clutter and 'stuff'... but, all of a sudden, I'm looking around my home (and closet) and I don't think I can stake a claim on that anymore! How does that happen?!

I have started de-cluttering by vowing NOT to BUY anything more until after the first of the year... No more clothes, shoes, boots, or home décor. It's way harder than I thought it'd be!

Now, to attack my closet. It's a slow process, and I'm going a little at a time, but I'll get there!

But, reading this thread... we can take solace in that we are not alone in this daunting endeavor! <3

19. QuiltyMom

I used to watch the show. He was ruthless when needed, but still had a soft heart for those who were experiencing pain for one reason or another. That's what I loved most about him. He knew when to push and when to stop. It takes a special kind of person to realize this!

HavaDrPepper and Tree City like this.
  20. QuiltyMom

No, you're not alone at all! And the "no more" rule is hard to do, but my rule is I don't know what you're "missing" if I don't shop! I even walked out of the consignment store this morning after consigning without looking around, which was a feat in itself!

And it happens to us bit by bit, piece by piece. It's the "oh, I'll get to going through that tomorrow" syndrome. I have such bad ADD that by the time tomorrow rolls around I've forgotten what I was going to do... Sigh