Daytime Movies

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by enjoyyourpix, Oct 21, 2016.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I rarely go to the movie these days.

BUT.... when the kids were little and my husband worked from home, I would sneak in a daytime movie every once in a while. When they were around the 2-3ish range, whether or not they actually napped, they had "quiet time" in their rooms for a couple hours each day. I would time it to start quiet time right before a movie started, put them in their rooms, and dash out the door to the nearby theater to catch a quick movie. My husband was home in case anything happened, but 9 times out of 10 they didn't need anything so he could just keep working.

A group of moms here have an Oscar movie watching "club", where they try to see all of the Oscar nominated movies while they're in the theater before the awards ceremony. They go during the day. I just haven't been able to make it work with my schedule yet.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  2. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Our cinema doesn't open until 3:30 during the week and noon on the weekends. But the movies they show that early are kiddy movies that I'm not gonna see in the cinema.
    Personally, when I think 7pm movies are early and it always feels a bit weird to go watch a movie that early in the evening.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Good to know, because that's the one I wanted to see! LOL

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Hearing about The Accountant makes me call that a Redbox movie...worth $1.50 (maybe).

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  5. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

Totally, Maureen. Lots of good stars in it. Anna Kendrick is cute/quirky/funny. Just not worth $10.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  6. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

This might make me sound bad, but movies are usually too people-y for me... I have some pretty strong ADD tendencies, so I am easily distracted. The last movie we went to see in the theater, I can't even remember what the movie actually was, but what I DO remember is that the dude next to me had a jumbo popcorn and he was rustling through that bucket and digging deep...wayyyyy down to the bottom... then he would grab giant handfuls, shove it all in his mouth, spill half of it on his lap (or mine, if the popcorn bounced when it hit him), and then chewed with his mouth open. It was stellar. Between that and people getting up and leaving and coming back in about 1billion times, I just couldn't pay attention. I literally cannot remember what the movie was, I was that distracted. :bat

bellbird and enjoyyourpix like this.
  7. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

We rarely go to the movies at all (for the same people issues that @RebeccaH mentioned), but every once in a while one will tempt us out. Rogue One is going to be one of those, and last year it was The Martian followed shortly by The Force Awakens. That felt like a lot of movies in a short time for us, even though it was 2 in 3 months! Most of the time we stay home where we have a projector and a pull-down screen and the popcorn is a LOT cheaper.

This summer I did go to a 10am movie with my niece while she was here visiting, and it was a lot of fun. It was at one of the nicer theaters here, and they had a $1 series of kids' movies all summer along with $2 soda and popcorn combos. She had a blast, and it was a fun thing to do with her.

bellbird, enjoyyourpix and RebeccaH like this.
  8. aballen

aballen Don't make me break out the milk

We like to go to the movies early while the girls are in school. It doesn't happen often but it's always fun, :)

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

We've had bad experiences with day movies - like DH and i went on my b'day to see one of the Hunger Games movies - but the ticket attendant gave us the wrong tickets, we ended up in the wrong theatre in the middle of a different movie that we assumed was a preview and took us a while to figure out what had gone wrong; WHEN we did go to the right number theatre we were late but the projector or something wasn't working and after another half hour they gave everyone refunds - sould happen to anyone but the few times we've gone (to not see a movie with kids) this kind of thing happens

The only real time i went on my own - for the Divergent movie (b/c i am and was a huge fan of the book); this elderly couple came in about 20mins into it (no idea why they would have picked this film on release day whic was the only time i could see it); there's like 5 people in the whole room and he asks me where to sit and i said 'um anywhere'; he sat ON me; so kind of shocked, i moved, like half a row over, so he could have my seat; then they got up followed me and sat right next to me - i couldnt concentrate at all; they ended up leaving with like half an hour of the movie to go but it ruined it for me & havent been back by myself so i totally get what @RebeccaH and @scrappyjedi were saying

RebeccaH likes this.
  10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Sometimes these human beans can really be weird! and there are so many of them!!! @RebeccaH & @bellbird

RebeccaH, bellbird and enjoyyourpix like this.