Creative Team advice

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by abandy, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

Yes, I joined CTs to keep me accountable. Whether or not they offered actual challenges or prompts varied. Most of the individual designers that I created for didn't have side-challenges or anything, but I was responsible for "x" number of pages per month and I always wanted to hold up my end of the bargain. But with the store CTs I was on there were usually challenges, either ones that I was responsible for running that month or ones that someone else spearheaded and needed example pages for. I was always grateful for those.

It was far too easy for me to take time away from scrapbooking if I didn't have a responsibility to someone. I mean, I don't make time in my schedule to scrapbook NOW because I know that I won't fire me. If I was on a creative team or two I'd schedule that in - and that's why it really worked for me to be on a few teams at any given time. Also it challenged me to use product that I might not have used otherwise, and then I'd expand my horizons a bit and embrace new styles and techniques. Like I remember I used to stare at realistic items in kits and be like "I can't use these!" - but using them required me to really concentrate on shadowing.

And being on a creative team was what got me journaling (and subsequently turned me into a journaling advocate) - because when I joined the creative team at the (now closed) We Are Storytellers, there was a big push to really TRY journaling on every page. And I needed that push to get over my "I'm not a journaler" mentality. Creative teams are great for that, especially if you're like me and are reluctant to change.

So I really can't say enough how important of a role creative teams played in my journey as a memory keeper.

2. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

Good thoughts in this thread! Here's a question for designers...

Do you ever have people contact you asking to be on your team? How do you feel about that? I've got a few designers I LOVE, but haven't ever seen them do calls. I've toyed with the idea of just asking, but I'm too nervous! I tell myself that the worst that could happen is they could say no, but I also don't want to seem like I'm pushy/just trying to get their stuff for free/think I'm that awesome. If that makes any sense...

3. milo82

milo82 milo82

Def and what everyone else said too!!! :D

4. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

The free stuff is nice, but what I've discovered I *really* appreciate is having a fire lit under my butt. It ups my game to be around so many layout stars, both IN the teams and outside the creative teams. Deadlines can be stressful, but really, the benefits of getting layouts done that I *like* and that challenge me to do better is a huge part of what I like about it.

I agree with the others-it's super important to feel at home at a store and with it's overall style, and with the personalities of the folks running the store and the forums, and then the community that they grow. I have felt "at home" at few other stores since I've started, but not quite like The Lilypad.

5. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

Ditto.

6. Angie4b1g

Clearly. As I think my post count here is more than every other scrapbooking site I've ever visited COMBINED. Haha

7. mommatrish

mommatrish mommatrish

Hmmm.... I've been on many, many a creative team over the past 5 years. At first it was all just for the free stuff. It didn't even matter to me if I was more than just luke-warm liking the designs. Then I had the amazing opportunity to be part of a store team that required the team members to be exclusive to them. That's when I got really picky about what I used because I had to buy a lot more. I found that I only bought from here and one other place, so I got active in those places and told myself that I'd only apply to calls at those places if I ever left where I was.
    A year later and here I am at The Lilypad. I don't do it just for the free stuff anymore. I have to really like the group of people that I'm working with or I feel uninspired and unmotivated. Doesn't matter how much product they throw at me. I also have set myself a strict limit of no more than five teams. That way I don't feel too overwhelmed and can give each designer/store the proper amount of attention and promotion. It also makes me super selective on who I apply to.

8. mishou

mishou mishou

I haven't had a call since I started back up here this summer but I've had several girls approach me about being on my team. How do I feel about it? I love it actually! At this rate I may not have to do a call at all LOL! But I imagine that not all designers would like it as much as me because they already have complete teams and may not have any spots open. I can say for myself though that I'm totally open to recruiting this way and so far I've had really good luck with it. All the girls were customers and showed me samples of layouts they had made with my designs which helped their case a lot. But most of all I think it takes a lot of guts to approach a designer this way and you wouldn't do that unless you were really in love with the product and enthusiastic about promoting the designer. That's really important to me in a CT member, maybe even more important than their creative skill. Someone who is super talented but is "meh" about working for you isn't going to be much help in the end.

So all of that to say - I think if there is someone you really want to CT for, just go for it. Like you said, the worst that can happen is they'll say no, or "not right now" if there aren't any spots available. Nobody will think you're being pushy, they'll just think you really like their product!

9. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

As far as being a CT member, I love to have a designer or store CT forum that is active. I like the designer(s) to pop in and comment on pages. I like when there are behind the scenes conversations going on. Of course the product is a huge pull too, but even if I love the products, if the team isn't fun, then I'm probably not going to be very happy on the team. I love being part of an active team basically. :)

10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have been on a lot of teams over the years, some of them I applied to when they had a call, some of them contacted me and some of them, I contacted them. I was turned down a few times in the early years and it stunk, but it also got me to step up my craft courage a bit and try some new things. I was on the store CT for Scrap Artist until they closed. I loved their products, but even more than that, I LOVED the girls I got to know there and I was devistated when they closed and it had zero to do with losing free products. Same with here. The Lilypad has been my favorite store for years and years and I still pinch myself when I see the "Pollywog" under my name. I think it has a lot to do with the feel of being one of the cool kids who get to see a peek behind the curtain. :giggle. Everyone here in the forum is huge too. Just feels like home. :)

11. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

Hmmm...

What I consider when I'm considering applying for a CT, or when I'm considering whether to accept the invitation from a designer to be on their team, is their design style. I see no point in trying to create for someone whose products just don't fit my personal style. It's too much like forcing a square through a round hole. I also do best on teams that allow for a bit of flexibility. I think we all have super busy schedules, and it's hard to be scrapping around the clock, no matter how much I wish I could be doing just that.

As for staying on a team, I think it's important to showcase the designer's hard work in a timely manner and with a quality layout, not just one that's thrown together quickly to meet a scrapping requirement. If I can't scrap for me, and it becomes a job, in the end it's not going to work out.

Things I love about the teams I'm on... I love it when team members are active in the ct forum, and when the designer pops in regularly just to say hey or keep us informed. One designer I create for actually takes time in the forums to comment on each CT layout that's posted in the threads... that must take a ton of time, but I love that she is committed to doing that. It means a lot to know that our pages are appreciated.

As for getting on a CT to begin with... I don't even know what to say there. I tried and tried and tried and got turned down about a billion times when I first started scrapping. In the meantime, I just kept scrapping for myself, and developing my scrap skills (trying to lift other pages that I loved, learning about shadowing, etc). One day, I got a "yes" back from someone, and then a few weeks later I actually got a pm invitation from another designer. And it kind of went from there. So I guess my 2 cents on getting on a team to begin with would be to just keep trying, and don't let the rejection discourage you from trying again.

12. crazygirl

crazygirl Opening a post office

I LOVE this thread!!!!
    CT calls I dread... I HATE having to turn people away!!! WAH.
    There are SO MANY talented scrappers out there, I feel like everyone needs to be given a chance.
    Dani Mogstad took a risk on me, she was the first team I designed for. (Back then we were called DT members. LOL)
    Weird had it evolves...
    I personally love looking through the gallery and seeing how scrappers use my designs and I usually know right off if they will be a good fit for my team. I have asked girls if they've wanted to give my team a try and I have also received PMs asking if I have space available for team members....
    I don't mind doing either..
    Whatever I can do to avoid the dreaded call. LOL

13. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

I've applied to quite a few CT calls over the years, I always try to brace myself for the no, but to be honest rejection is never easy, but I wouldn't have had all of the amazing teams I've been a part of over the past 3 years if I hadn't taken a chance and applied. Only once have I PMed someone and asked to be on their team (and thankfully that worked well for me), and once I've been asked to join a team without applying for it (this is the best feeling in the world!). I love being a part of a CT. It makes me feel a little more connected to the scrapbooking world, and with a severely limited scrapping budget they're almost a necessity for me to stay current (not that I don't use old product as well .. I love my digiscrapping goodies).

14. Heather Prins

Heather Prins Heather Prins

Such amazing advice in this thread! I am very picky who I work for cause in the end all the free product in the world doesn't matter if you don't like the product. And it is work, especially if your designer creates a lot of product, but it is also so much fun! I think if you love the designer/community, your passion shows and getting on a CT will most likely happen.

15. Angie4b1g

I've been turned down so many times, it honestly doesn't even phase me anymore. :rofl

7+ years of rejection (paper, then digi) has hardened my heart I guess.

16. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

^ This.

17. liahra

liahra Active Member

^ just like i would've said it. i'm the pickiest ever when it comes to teams, but then again, i treasure each and one of them even more! :beat

18. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

It makes me feel a tiny bit better knowing that people that I consider phenomenal scrappers have been told no too in the past. But I will say that the first yes was pretty awesome! It's so tough to put yourself out there for CT calls. I've never tried the email/PM approach, probably never felt confident enough about my work to do that.

19. mrsski07

mrsski07 Hot for Harlequin

I don't think I have enough guts to do this! I'm a pretty outgoing/say what's on my mind type of girl but I guess I'd feel like I'd be bothering designers or feel like I'm pushing myself on them.

20. JenEm

JenEm Pollywog

Love this thread:beat

Personally I would not consider being on a designer's CTM if I did not LOVE that designer's style and product. I never want to be in a position where I create layouts because I have to, and not because I want to, KWIM?

That said, I love being on a CTM because it hold me accountable and I get things done. The designer's that I create for are very flexible. If I don't like a product of theirs, I don't snag it. (It hasn't happened yet, but it is nice to have that option!)

Rejection is hard, but if I had not stepped out of my comfort zone and applied to CT calls, I would never have landed the opportunities I have been blessed with. I have also been on the other side of the fence, and being approached by a designer is the BEST feeling! :beat