Creating Signatures

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Mar 8, 2019.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I struggle with creating signatures I like and usually end up with less than great ones when I try. I bought a new kit this week that I’d love to use as my signature but not sure how to make a nice signature i’m happy with. I know all about sizes and uploading etc but does anyone have any tips to create great signatures?

LoveItScrapIt and keepscrappin like this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@littlekiwi Jennifer, I would start with a font for your name.. choose a fun font or an alpha that you like... I tend to like this one I am using now but in the past i have used watercolor and other styles. Once you start with that, you can move on to the next thing.. it really is similar to making a page but in smaller format. I know some designers (see example below by SWL) have templates you can use for signatures, but for size purposes I save my signature as a psd file and then when I want to change my signature I already have the base set up.

For my signature here, I started with my name, made it sticker like by adding a white stroke around the edge and then a shadow and then add paint underneath and add little elements for the theme I want for the month or the quarter etc.

I hope that helps. I would suggest looking at others and get an idea of what you want to change yours too and what you like.

BTW Scrapping with Liz has a Siggy Template that will be great to help you :)

[​IMG]

3. littlekiwi

Thinking about it more, my issue seems to be that I haven’t managed to create a cluster (which I generally suck at anyway) or something of interest in my signature to tie everything together.

My current signature is an alpha for my name, a single element (the kiwi) placed near my name and a painted frame (ferns) but nothing is really connected with each other.

4. littlekiwi

Thanks @cfile for your ideas too.

cfile likes this.
  5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Jennifer, I don't do well clustering in my signature, either. (Let me say that I love your Kiwi, though! It's too perfect!) I don't mind on my pages, but for some reason my name gets lost in the clustering in my signature. To help myself make a signature, I work on a 300ppi canvas (not web size), which is easier for me to work on. (I know you know about resizing and stuff. I'm just explaining my process, if that makes sense lol.) Then I shrink stuff more than I would for a LO: I'm used to a 12x12 canvas, and of course the signature is smaller and I realized my issue with clustering on signatures was that stuff looked too big. Maybe really resizing stuff would help you? IDK, but that's what I've figured out for myself...not that I have a super clustered signature right now rofl! But I like my little flowers and sequins. I'm happy. Also, those signature templates look really helpful!

littlekiwi likes this.
  6. cfile

@littlekiwi clustering is not as hard as it seems and just like you would cluster on a 12x12 page, you also would do the same on a signature.. pick something like FDD designs template and pull out the section of the template that has clustering.. the J and R of your name are great anchors. Just cluster around them :)

7. littlekiwi

It’s a yucky rainy day here so my plan is to stay home and play with all the new goodies I’ve acquired through the daily sales. Going to try my hand at a signature or two and hopefully some monthly challenges too.

8. cfile

YAY have fun Jennifer!

9. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

My siggy is old but I still like it, so I'll keep it for now. All great ideas here from Christa and Sara about the templates and shrinking the elements and such. What kit are you wanting to use for your siggy? You could look at example pages for that kit in the store or gallery and scraplift some of the clusters to recreate for your siggy. We are here to help. If you get stuck, post here and we'll help you. You can do it, we're rooting for you.

Tree City likes this.
  10. littlekiwi

It’s great in theory but I’m not a clusterer at all really - I’m far more of a clean and simple gal

patsyt and cfile like this.
  11. cfile

Even clean and simple you can cluster... I did this the other day for the speed scrap.. I have a very small cluster of a bow, a button and a cord.. or even that label with the little flowers on the ends of the label.. you can do it Jennifer :)
    [​IMG]

12. littlekiwi

Thinking of Alison’s latest kit and alphas that she just released but that could change - just really feeling the “girl power” theme with it being International Women’s Day on March 8th (today for you guys? it’s Saturday morning here)

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. littlekiwi

This is the kit and alphas I’m considering

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@littlekiwi That is a great alpha you want to use.
    My suggestion is to in a sense do a scraplift of someone else's signature that you like the look of.

By the way... your current signature does flow nicely... the little bird foot prints along the bottom helps flow everything together.

cfile likes this.
  15. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I love to cluster on my layouts, but keep my siggie fairly plain. Something on the S, a bow on the T or F and a dot on the I. I love the siggie you have now, love the bold wooden alpha, the kiwi and the fern framing. Don't feel you have to cluster if that isn't what you love to do. Or use a template to help you along.

Or find a siggie you love and "scraplift" it?
    I find that Christa's is usually very on trend and I may have borrowed her look a few times before now.
    Good luck and have fun.

QuiltyMom and cfile like this.
  16. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

With this kit and alpha, I would start with a horizontal element like the banner, paints or pom pom ribbon to act as a shelf for my name. Then, I'd accent with a few of the elements that catch my eye. Like others have said you don't have to cluster a lot if that's not your style. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  17. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Great thread. Didn't realize there are templates for sieges. That's helpful.

QuiltyMom and cfile like this.
  18. littlekiwi

well I had a bit of a play this afternoon and came up with two different signatures (neither one used the kit and alpha I was originally going to though). Not sure which one I'll use first because I kind of like them both for different reasons

First one used:
    iScape by Little Butterfly Wings & Studio Basic
    Girl Friday by Kim Jensen
    A True Friend - Girls by Little Butterfly Wings & Studio Basic
    [​IMG]

Second one used:
    Then & Now by Just Jaimee
    Heatwave by Alison Pennington
    Storyteller October 2018 by Just Jaimee
    [​IMG]

19. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.