Crashplan Subscribers

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by navaja77, Aug 22, 2017.

1. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

Did you get your email from Crashplan? They are discontinuing their consumer market products and partnering up with Carbonite. From my email, it states my subscription will end on 11/4/2017 and they will delete my backup. They are however extending my subscription by 60 days at no cost to me (which is nice).

I'm bummed because I like Crashplan. There was a reason I didn't pick Carbonite and now it looks like I may have to go that route. I will have to do more research.

What backup do you all use? Who has a home server set up that serves as your secondary backup? I may go that route if I can make it work for me.

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I saw that they are discontinuing this morning in a group! I'm sorry for you!

I use BackBlaze. I like it. It works. It's not finicky. And everyone I know who has had to restore files has not had an issue. The biggest complaint I hear about it is it doesn't keep files that have been deleted over 30 days. That doesn't bother me because 1) I also have an onsite backup drive 2) I check files randomly to make sure it's working 3) I monitor the files/size of my backup, so if an entire folder of photos or digi supplies disappeared, I would notice.

3. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I am also using Backblaze and the few times I had to restore a file it worked fine. No complaints and it is inexpensive to boot.

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

What a bummer for you, and really for anyone with Crashplan! Hopefully you figure out a new setup that works for you asap, just so you can have it figured out before Nov 4!

Anyway, I believe in the 3-2-1 Rule. I'm even a bit overzealous about it. :) (In case you're wondering, this is what BackBlaze says: "A 3-2-1 strategy means having at least 3 total copies of your data, 2 of which are local but on different mediums (read: devices), and at least 1 copy offsite.") I keep 2 almost-full EHDs at my parents' place 700 miles away and I've got 3 EHDs here kept in 2 different areas of the house (in case there's a burst pipe above one location or some other "home catastrophe.") And I've got Backblaze. I don't keep all files on my laptop so I don't even consider my computer when figuring out how many "backups" I have. Like Courtney mentioned, I check on my files about once a month, plus BB sends a summary email. (I just randomly pick something to download after taking a look at both the size of my backup and the contents lists for my laptop and my EHD.) I've never had a problem with a download. [This post might seem like a LOT of info, but I wanted to explain it for anyone reading--like someone on the fence about trying a Cloud backup.]

KellyM and bestcee like this.
  5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've been happily using Backblaze since around 2010, including some file restoration, switching from PC to iMac, and reformatting my hard drive a year ago. I also consider Smugmug to be a second cloud back up for me, though it's manual and only backs up images. But images are the files most important to me! I actually don't have a backup at home. Someday I'd like a home server or something like that, usable by the whole family, with lots of space.

6. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

I received the same email and will be switching to Crashplan for Small Business. Crashplan is not closing down completely, just restructuring their plans to be business oriented. I think it's $10 per month for each computer on the small business plan, and I only back up one computer (and the associated external drives) anyway.

I used Carbonite for a couple of years, but got frustrated when they throttled the upload speed for data after a certain amount every month. They may not do it any more, but they certainly did when I was a subscriber. They also didn't support EHD backup then, though they do now for some higher-tiered plans.

7. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

Here's a snippet from the transition page for those moving to a Small Business plan with Crashplan. They offered me the plan through the remainder of my term, and then for 75% off for a year after that.

Screenshot 2017-08-23 00.35.49.png

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    bestcee likes this.
  8. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

@scrappyjedi Thanks for that info! I found a previous email stating that I could upgrade to the Small Business plan. I took advantage of that offer :)

9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I use Backblaze, have had to have files restored, have used the service to grab something I accidentally deleted - all in all, very pleased!

10. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

FWIW, I've used Carbonite for years and been happy with it. I have the plan that includes an EHD. I like that I can look at any of my files with the app on my phone. I've restored twice when I changed computers.

11. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I got the email too! My current subscription isn't up until March- so I think I'm honestly going to put it off for awhile & figure it out later! ;) #procrastinationforthewin

12. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Thanks for all the good info here. I too am considering my options because I currently use crashplan and it will expire 11/2017 + 60 free days to transition.