Crash course in grief

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by amko22, Aug 31, 2015.

1. amko22

amko22 Active Member

On Saturday, August 22nd, one of my dearest friends and her two children were involved in a car accident. My friend and her daughter didn't survive. Her son is still in the hospital and everyone in our community is rallying behind him and his father in hopes he'll recover without too much lasting damage. It's basically a miracle that he even survived at all.
    Tiffany was my son's second mom. We babysat each other's children very frequently. We were like one big family. We were going to grow old together and watch our kids grow up and be lifelong friends. I stopped explaining to people that our kids weren't actually siblings. I've known her for eleven years and in the last two of those, we have been closer than ever. She left her partner a few months ago and actually moved into the apartment right next to mine. It's been rough, both being on our own and struggling to care for our children. It was a struggle to have each others' backs but also to take care of our own needs, and I regret that in the last couple months, we stopped babysitting for each other because taking on extra children was getting to be a lot of work. That's the problem with thinking something is going to last forever. You think you will have time later to make up for it. :(
    She was my biggest supporter in all of my creative works, especially photography. I show my love through my lens and I wanted to document their family any time she would let me. I'm so glad we had this photo shoot. I pressured her into it and she even skipped out on work to do it. I never could have imagined photos from this shoot would become photos on their obituaries. It hurts my heart so much.
    [​IMG]
    But
    Her son is alive, and it was my responsibility this week to go through her computer, camera, old phones and any memory cards to recover photos. Not only have I spent six years documenting her pregnancies and children's little moments, but now I have a lot of her photos as well. I would love to make memory books for her son. For mother's day this year, I made her a book with motherhood quotes that went along with the pictures I've taken and she loved it. Now I need to do something like that on a larger scale. It's a big task, but no one else that I know does any digital scrapbooking and it's so important that Marshall has something to hold onto instead of only something to scroll through.

So now I've had this firsthand experience with what it means to leave a legacy. I've been a huge slacker lately with documenting our life, especially beyond cell phone photography. I need to record more quotes. Save more moments.
    "In the blink of an eye" and "nothing lasts forever" and "now or never" used be ideas to me. Things that I logically understood, but now I can feel them in my heart.

I'm numb today. It's been a very, very rough week. I'm not entirely sure how grief goes as I've never lost anyone this close to me before. I just know I'll be using art therapy to get through this, and I'll be using the Lilypad products to help tell the stories of two beautiful people. :heartlub

2. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

So sad and my heart breaks reading this. Take time for you as well. It's going to be a journey. Don't put pressure on yourself to finish those books right away. I think you will find that this is one of the things you can do to most work through grief. It will be a process. But you need time to process your own grief as well. Hugs and prayers

3. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I am so sorry for your loss. Carilyne had good suggestions, I think. I pray that your faith will help you through this difficult time.

4. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

My heart is broken for you and your community as well. What an honor that you are going to be able to share your gifts and provide such a wonderful treasure for everyone. I'm so sorry for your loss. hugs hugs hugs.

5. AmaG

AmaG Born in the wrong decade

What a tragic loss, especially for her young son. So heart-breaking. My thoughts are with him and you...

6. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

Just the saddest thing, life can be cruel occasionally. Prayers for her son and for you to get through this. xx

7. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

So so sorry for this tragic loss of life.

8. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I am sorry for your loss.

9. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

So sorry. My heart goes out to the family!

10. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

I am so sorry to read this, I can't imagine a more tragic loss for you or her family. I hope your work on this project for her son will give you some degree of healing and peace. My thoughts are with you.

11. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

I am so very sorry for your loss. Your grief is evident. I cannot begin to admit to understanding things like this within the confines of my frail human mind, but my prayers are with you, your children and your friend's family.

12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

oh Amie, I am so so sorry for your loss. I am glad though you have those wonderful photos to capture Tiffany's life and love of her children. Her son will have a long road ahead and will be glad for these photos and whatever you choose to do for him for him to look back on. Hugs and prayers to her son for a quick recovery and take time for yourself as well to mourn. She is with you and will be with her son always.

13. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I'm so sorry for your loss, Amie. Hugs to you and prayers for you and for her young son. Such a tragedy.

14. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

my heart is so so heavy for you Amie.

i've seen your work and know you will do an amazing job of putting together beautiful photos and memories for Marshall. (and for yourself). sending hugs and love your way as you go through this process of creating this project and with dealing with the loss of your dear friend and her daughter. life is so very fragile. this is really an eye opening reminder. hugs.

15. kaphelps

kaphelps CT - OLB

I am so sorry for this tragic loss - hugs & prayers to you & your families.

16. Dana

Dana Dana

oh i am so sorry :( i am sending virtual hugs to you .. and hoping for the very best for her son (((hugs))).

17. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

aw, hun big squishy booby {{hugs}} Loss is always such a hard thing to let those of us on this side of it to comfort others easily. The best we can do is say what a wonderful reason to continue the special memory keeping to keep her life story alive. ♥ Sending out thoughts of peace for everyone and healing for the little brave guy.

18. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Oh…I am so very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you must be feeling. It is wonderful that you will make Marshall a book - I'm sure it will mean so much to him as he deals with the loss of his family.

19. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

Oh Amie... I'm so so sorry, my heart is just breaking for you. Your photos are beautiful and you are amazing to take on this task for your friend and her son. Big huge hugs for you.

20. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

:( HUGS girl...I am SO sorry you are going thru this. What a great friend you are for preserving her (and the daughter's) memory for her son.