Cracker Jack Prize (AnneofAlamo's idea dusted off.)

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Serena, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

So, in Texas Cracker Jacks are these boxes of edible popcorn (I say edible because the taste is debatable) that had these small prizes at the bottom. Sometimes they were really cool, sometimes they were really lame but every time they made us excited and smile.

I'm bringing up the happy thread Anne started last time (you know, the one where I hugged her so tightly for it that she finally had to pry me off and feed me chocolate...) because I happen to know that quite a few of us here need bits of happiness for whatever we're battling through.

I wanted to share this layout because it has genuinely brought me giggles when I was strong enough and at least a soft smile when I wasn't.

[​IMG]

@BevG posted this gem right as my strength was flagging one night. I've been battling an allergic reaction to the point I was cutting my skin open from scratching so much. The steroids are the only thing that has helped while we wait for things to get back to normal, but they make me flu like. I've had fevers, worse headaches, body aches, exhaustion and extreme weakness. It started at the end of March and since the first bout of steroids didn't handle it, I'm on a second stronger dose. Which means I can't even get through a full day anymore. It's been completely depressing and my time here has been to put in a few hours at 'work' (I work from home on my computer) stare at this layout to give me the strength to get up and go back to bed and cry.

I have not shut down my computer since the day she posted this. I keep it up and look over at it for a little giggle, a little smile and point of brightness. So thank you, Bev, for sharing it. It's gotten me through a few days.

I have to try and get at least another hour of work put in today, but I wanted to come here because I miss you guys and wanted to make sure everyone else thought of something positive as well. It really helps keeping you going. All of the sweet comments people have left on my last layouts as well made me smile today, there's yet another positive. I promise to get the strength up to comment back on each soon. I've been two days off the meds and should hopefully bounce back to being active again soon. miss you guys. share your happy, always focus on the good, not just the bad. xoxo

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Ah thanks @Serena. That is so sweet of you. I am SOOOOOO glad it brought a smile to your face. The photo makes me smile too. When I was reviewing my photos (I took about 40 or so) and I saw this one, it cracked me up.

When I was looking through @Sokee's gallery for the scraplift, I saw her humorous one below and knew it would be perfect scraplift for my series of bird photos.

So sorry about your allergic reaction. I hope you feel better soon. I once had a bad reaction while on vacation. I am allergic to perfumes and the hotel must have been spraying our bed every night. I broke out head to toe. Once we left the hotel I was okay. Yours sounds so painful. So I am so pleased my layout relieved the pain, if for just a bit.

[​IMG]

3. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I have loved Cracker Jacks since I was little so this wording made me chuckle. I'm so sorry about the allergic reaction and hope all is well soon!

Serena likes this.
  4. Serena

Feel free to post your happy, or funny things too! :)

and thank you for the sweet words ladies!

5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hoping you start to feel better and sending some virtual hugs!

Serena likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Big hugs to you, Serena! I always adore your posts. They make me smile! Oh how I loved Cracker Jacks when I was younger! I am having one of *those* weeks, so I am definitely going looking for happy things!! I needed this thread :)

Serena likes this.
  7. Teri

Teri You bought a used lion?

I hope that things start getting better for you Serena.
    This is a fun thread and I knew what layout I needed to pull out for it.
    I was experiencing some pretty heavy depression and trying to work through it a few years ago. I was trying to scrap and came across this picture. It literally made me giggle until I was crying....both were emotions I needed to release. I made a layout and found myself pulling it up over and over again to giggle about. I even shared it with my sister (the wonderful women in the photo) and told her that she didn't realize it but she had helped me through a rough time. I think because of that she forgave me for making a layout with such a "favorable" photo of her. ;)
    [​IMG]

Serena, LoveItScrapIt and Juliestcyr like this.
  8. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

This from @jang put a smile on my face. Both my parents worked, so when I was in Kindergarten, my Grandparents babysat my baby brother and I every day. Grandma did not approve of my favourite cartoons (He-Man and She-Ra, both now on Netflix. I had forgotten how ridiculous they were). So, she had Grandpa tape movies off of TV for me. I had Annie, the Sound of Music and the Wizard of Oz on loop that year, almost non-stop. I can still sing all of the songs, and think I probably have about 3/4 of the dialogue memorized as a one-woman show.

[​IMG]

Serena likes this.
  9. Serena

@BevG Thank you for posting it, I know it was for a scraplift, but it's the photos and how you put the wording that made this layout a lifeline for me for a bit. ^.^ It always made me crack up because I have quite a few of the kids (and a few animal photos) that look about the same. "O. EM. GEE, STOP WITH THE PHOTOS, LADY!!"

I literally had one bird FALL ASLEEP on me.. apparently I'm THAT boring of a photographer... oh my, I need to see if I can find that in my instagram, one sec.

Here's the first photo: https://www.instagram.com/p/LvWnMUArMV/

and one towards the end. https://www.instagram.com/p/LvW5efgrMc/

What in the... (sorry for the links, I can't figure out how to get the image address off of instagram...)

@umyesh They were one of my coveted, favorite snacks as a kid and of course, I get nostalgic when I see them and grab them and then go.. uh... hmm. Not as good as I remember... -.-

@jk703 :happyhug I love warm hugs! (yes, yes I'm Olaf.. my kids delight in calling me that.)

@IntenseMagic thanks miss Jan!!! :heartslub I pulled up this video in case you couldn't find anything (I'm absolutely SURE you can, but I'm one of those boyscout type who has something "just in case".. ) Hopefully THIS will make you giggle: (work safe, I promise.)

@Teri What a fantastic memory!! That is hilarious!! I also really like how you made it a christmas gift, it's awesome! I feel like I could tear the paper off and get a gift! My sister would kiiiill me if I posted one of her like that! (but then with the background story, maybe not. hmmm.. wonder what I could get away with?:plotting)

@Juliestcyr I LOVED those cartoons, do you know I cried when I found out He-Man and She-Ra were siblings? I always wanted them to get together and make Baby-Ra. How awesome would that be?!?!?! (Also, I LOVED Tina, she was one of my role models..) That is a really cool memory!

Thank you for all the happy things guys! And the well wishes! You're the best!

(I'm ending with this smiley because.. well.. because I love it so much:

:laundry:laundrynaughty

10. BevG

@Serena - those bird pics are awesome! Thanks for the giggle. But that baby --- ah, the days when we were so easily entertained.

Serena likes this.
  11. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I saw that LO in the gallery and thought it was the best! So funny!

Sorry you are hurting @Serena I sure hope that allergic reaction moves on out and leaves you alone soon! It sounds so painful!

12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Bev's layout makes me think of this layout I made, when Olivia was more than a bit tired of me working on my photography skills:

[​IMG]

And this layout makes me laugh because my dad always makes me and my sister crack up AND because we have the same rat-like grin with our noses (which are quite a bit like our dad's as well).

[​IMG]

I'm just a big fan of laughing photos all the way around. I can't look at these layouts and not at least smile!

[​IMG]

And my hubby, well, he's the best at making me laugh. This guy, I'm telling you. He's special.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for encouraging us all to look for the good!

13. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

laughing is the reaction I had when I viewed these photos, they are my daughter's. I Loved your layout.... and the birds reaction to you taking a series of photos of her lol

14. Serena

@gonewiththewind THANK YOU. This was exactly what I needed!!! Those are AWESOME!!! I love the photo of your dad and sister, that's awesome!! The teen pics are exactly what I get here at home to, never thought to scrap them! LOL! (Well, I DID do one of Jace making this "Oh boy" face, really, again mom?" but I haven't re-done that one yet. It's in one of my scrap books but I can't post it anywhere because of the kits used in it.

Also.. uhm... your husband... he's got something... well... you know... just. .. just there... theeeeeere, in his teeth... no no, right the.... you know what? It's fine. >.>

And seriously, I don't want to seem stalker-ish, but I had THIS layout (alongside Bev's) up for that few days:

[​IMG]

Because it reminds me so much of my son and I as well. I have a layout in the works called "Always together, always classy." (I'm a perfectionist, so I haven't QUITE found that PERFECT kit for it yet.. but I have the bare bones..) that harnesses photos of my son and I like this. :)

Anyway, it was super cute and made me giggle, especially the "best face ever" little blurb. I really like how you layer your items in all your layouts and how fun and exciting all the colors always are. ^.^

Again, thank you for sharing those!!!

I also wanted to share a moment of bursting pride with everyone. I am the type that constantly hounds my kids. "For every negative thing you dwell on that happens in your day, think of TWO positive things."

It's an exercise I make them do constantly.

"Why are you crying (insert kid here)?"

"Today was THE WORST DAY EVER!!!!!!" ::snifflesnobsnortgurgle::

"Breathe. In. Out. Tell me one bad thing that happened."

"I dropped all my books and all the kids laughed at me!!!"

"Did ANYONE help?"

::pauses sniffling:: "Well.. actually.. so and so did pick up one book for me."

"Excellent, what else happened that was good?"

"My backpack didn't break, it was just unzipped."

"Very good. Now, tell me another bad thing."

I make them list two positives for every single negative that they come up with and I let them go through the whole list of bad things. If they can't come up with something, I remind them of something good that happened when I was there. Sometimes we have to 'force" the good thing. "Well.. uh... no kitten were harmed in the making of that film..."

As a mom, you sit there and re-iterate over and over these kinds of lessons and you feel like they never learn because they ALWAYS come crying about how their day was ruined and TOTALLY AWFUL because of one major thing that went wrong.

Cue last night, I was walking down the stairs and I fell partly down because of the dizzy and exhaustion I was going through. I cussed, I was more shocked that anything and VERY frustrated because this whole thing is ridiculous, I should NOT be feeling this way.

My ten year old came around the corner concerned and was like "ARE YOU OKAY!?!?!?!"

When I confirmed I was, she sat down next to me and pat my back.

"I'm tired. I'm tired of being sick and tired. I'm tired of having 12 spoons to begin with and then whatever this has been the last week taking my spoons so I only have 4 a day to work with. It's not fair and it's stupid!!! It's hard enough getting by with only 12 spoon!!!"

I was close to raging at this point because I don't like to cry in front of my kids, so I use my anger instead.

I felt this tiny little hand on my back and her soft words broke that cloud of anger quickly.

"At least it's not 2."

I looked over at her in surprise and listened as my ten year old spouted wisdom I never realized she fully used.

"You fell. But you didn't break anything and I get to sit with you a moment and hug my mommie."

I hugged her VERY tightly and then she stood up and pulled me up and helped me get down the second half of the stairs. I was so full of bursting pride at that moment I could have cried all over the place.

There, there is another one of my positives I choose to focus on. ^.^

I hope you guys have had plenty as well! Thank you all for coming and sharing with me, it means a lot, you are one of my positive lists as well.

15. BevG

Ah! So sweet of her. You are raising some fine, caring kids.

Here is one I did recently. The content is not TLP so that is why I did not post it here. Enjoy my funny dad, sisters, nephew and niece. Template is FDD but the content is by Grace Lee.
    Runs.jpg

Serena likes this.
  16. Serena

That's PERFECT!!! I loooooove it! There's something great about a family that plays along!!! Thank you, Miss Bev!!!! <3<3

BevG likes this.
  17. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Ahhh, dear @Serena . . . how quickly the spoons get used up! I really hate that I have to decide when and where to use my spoons and then miss out on other things because I have no spoons left! ((HUGS)) and prayers for you! So sweet that your daughter lifted you up . . . my 11 year old son does the same thing. When he prayers for me occasionally during our nighttime prayers, it melts my heart to hear his soul's cry for me to be better.

And keep finding the positive. In my chronic pain struggle, I do SO much better when I can focus on the positive in my life.

Serena likes this.
  18. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I totally remember Cracker Jacks!!! They used to be SO good in the 80's, but not so much anymore.

I'm not sure what happened this year, but everyone's allergies seem to be at an all time high this year! Hopefully the steroids continue to work and you're able to feel good again!!

HUGS!!!!

Serena and BevG like this.
  19. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Hugs {{{}}} to all of you feeling unwell. I have no physical complaints but my Dr. did talk me into having my god willing final colonoscopy! Apparently whichever one you have after 70 is considered The End. I asked...What if I live to be 110? and she gave me a Mom look!! Hope that brings you a smile!

Here are a couple of my happy face pages.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And those Cracker Jacks? I remember eating them in early grade school but when braces came along they were a serious No No. Now, I really don't care for caramel corn but when mixed with the cheese flavor...oh my! I could eat the whole bag.

Serena likes this.
  20. Serena

@gonewiththewind Yes!! I hate having to skip activities myself. :( Especially when the kids don't understand and just think mommie doesn't wanna hang. Meh!

I've been dealing with this for over 9 years, I was okay with it before (I mean, you just sorta realize, this is your life and you either let it control you, or you control it and keep living. I'd gotten complacent, hated that I was so young and unable to do stuff, but whatever. A couple of months ago, everything changed, I can't even drive now, I can't walk in the daytime when the sun is out, and sometimes can't even have the blinds open. I was freaked out, it shouldn't change, it shouldn't get worse, what was next?!?! Total blindness? These are the kinds of things I was facing. The loss of being independent really cut me hard. I was in a very very dark place.

So yeah, it's VERY important to me to keep my perspective aimed up, hence why the "we're all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars" is VERY important to me. I HAVE to keep looking and finding the good or I will drown.

I actually made this printable to remind myself, but I didn't post it because it's a direct copy of Elisa's "Anchored" layout.

[​IMG]

Also, super hugs to you, dear Cheryl! I've always got a smile for you if you need!

gonewiththewind likes this.