Couch to 5k

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by Angie4b1g, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

Anyone considering it? Could be fun to do as a group!

2. aballen

aballen Don't make me break out the milk

I've tried doing this twice and for one reason or another I didn't finish it. The last time I actually made it to week 6. It felt great!! I should start again, :run

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  3. amyjaz

amyjaz amyjaz

I did it last year! I ran a 6k in December for the first time ever. It felt great. As soon as I get settled in our new house, I'd like to do it again!

4. Pheeebzzz

Pheeebzzz Well-Known Member

Did it back in 2009-2010, felt great and planned on running a marathon in 2014... then I got pregnant :D.
    I'd happily join but winter is coming here and don't think I can run with the snow out there + I can barely keep up with the shred because of my clingy and super needy baby and I guess running would be hard too for the same reasons. Too bad, because I really need to move.....

5. amyjaz

amyjaz amyjaz

Haha! I forget that not everyone lives in Arizona, where we are just getting into running season. We'd die if we ran during the summer when it's 115 out. You have a very valid excuse.

6. Angie4b1g

No excuses!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  7. Pheeebzzz

Waow, I'm impressed ! Please, don't tell me to go running outside in the snow with my wee one on my back :D...

8. Angie4b1g

I tell my clients... if you don't make yourself a priority, who will?

9. Dana

Dana Dana

i should start again too ... i really want to get back to running ...

10. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

I'm just finishing up, but would love to be a part of the group... I have my 30 minute run today... and so I hope that next week I'll be working up to actually running 5K and not 2.5 miles LOL... just hurt my back last night so we'll see if I actually do anything... I don't want to hurt it more and then not be able to run on Thanksgiving

do you have any good low back stretches or exercises you recommend Angie?

11. Pheeebzzz

Yes, you do have a point. I'll work on that...

12. sparagus

sparagus "I accidentally slept with a call girl"

I started this in May and LOVED it. I run with a friend of mine, and without that motivation I'm not sure that I would have made it to 5K, honestly! But now we're running that much 3-4 times a week and it feels great! I'm all for group motivation :) It really does help!

13. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

I really wish I would make myself try this. I hate running - just despise it. I feel like I look like a weirdo out there, and I don't have any buddies to do it with. I think I'm better with indoor exercise videos LOL. I am so in awe of all of you that are doing this!

14. Angie4b1g

15. Angie4b1g

I hated it for like an entire year. lol

16. Pheeebzzz

I hated it too until I realized I didn't know how to run. Yes, sounds silly to say but it was true.
    Someone pointed me to a couple of books among which "Slow Burn" by Stu Mittleman and it really made a difference. That coupled with the C25K program made me love running and I never thought I would end up loving it, at best I hoped I'd tolerate running for the sake of my health.
    Not trying to convince you or anything, just sharing what worked for me :)
    (80 cm of snow out there and a snow storm in progress, not a time to go outside running)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  17. sparagus

sparagus "I accidentally slept with a call girl"

I completely agree. I've always hated running, and the "knowing how to run" thing was true for me too. Now as for winter running...I'm still trying to decide if I have the toughness factor to keep running through the cold :)

18. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

I thought about you on Friday, Angie, when I attempted to run again for the first time in a couple of months. I've been dealing with knee issues for a few years and knew I just had to take some good time off. I am even rolling my legs, doing the melt method, lunges, etc... and after I ran on Friday (only 1:30 at a time every 4 min. 8 times) my knees felt horrible and I just felt OLD! I'm 33 and I just don't think this running thing is for me anymore. I guess it's just not made for my body. AND... wasn't even heel striking! :giggle Sucks. But, looks like I'll continue to just do my fast walk 3-5 miles a day instead. Boo.

19. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

walking is so very good, too, though! i lost most of my baby weight w/ #1 by walking (i detest pushing jogging strollers).

20. Valoriew

Valoriew Valoriew

I'm totally up for it! I need instruction though...Angie- will be telling me what to do each day or week? lol

i can't say i like running but i want to....hope to...need to.