Correct CU usage for some Mommyish products?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by scrumptious, Apr 24, 2019.

1. scrumptious

scrumptious Well-Known Member

Last fall I went for Leah's amazing "Buy My Store" sale to buy all her CU products. I've been a longtime fan of her styles and other resources and filling my cart with hundreds of amazing Mommyish goodies during that sale was just about the best shopping experience, ever! (Anyone remember that old Toys R Us commercial where the kid had ten minutes to run through the store putting everything he could into his cart?)

There's a type of CU resource I picked up in the sale that I don't know the "rules" for, however, and I haven't been able to reach Leah to find out how they are supposed to be used. Lilypad customer service suggested I reach out here on the forums (I hope I picked the correct forum) to see if anyone else knows the answer.

The type of item I'm talking about is these CU kits of full-color items, like buttons (e.g. https://the-lilypad.com/store/CU-Buttoned-Up-29.html), flowers (e.g. https://the-lilypad.com/store/CU-Flowers-56.html), and charms (e.g. https://the-lilypad.com/store/CU-Charmed-4-Nautical.html).

[​IMG]

The TOU says "You may not resell, repackage, or redistribute these files in their original format." In the past I've always used other types of CU products as a base to build off of in my own designs, following the "adapt and remix" principle. I'm not really sure how to do that with these types of small, full-color, usually extracted items. These items look as though they are meant to be used just as they are, as opposed to templates or other items that are obviously meant to be recolored or combined with other things to create something new. For example, those blue buttons and nautical charms I linked to wouldn't take well to recoloring or to adding an overlay or a texture to them. But they're sold as CU items so I am trying to figure out what way they are supposed to be used in making kits. I'm wondering if maybe designers (making Personal Use kits) are allowed to just stick a flower here and a button there into our kits as-is? But I truly have no idea!

If you have any info about this, please let me know! I'm also interested if you know the "industry standard" for using this kind of CU item when designing kits (which would obviously not be a guarantee that Leah would approve of that usage for her designs, but would give me a helpful starting place, plus I'm just curious in general, having never used this particular type of CU item before, though it seems to be very common). Thanks!

2. mommyish

mommyish Style Addict

Hey! <3 Basically it means you can't sell this item as a CU item itself. You can use it inside its and what not. I need to simplify my CU TOU!) I'm sorry for not getting back to you more quickly!

bestcee and Angela Toucan like this.
  3. scrumptious

scrumptious Well-Known Member

Oh hurray! Thanks so much for clearing this up! That was easy :byay

4. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@mommyish does this mean with these types of items of yours that you do not need to alter them - recolor them for example to use?

mommyish likes this.
  5. mommyish

mommyish Style Addict

That's right - so for realistic elements you don't HAVE to change them up - especially if they match what you're making <3

scrumptious, Karen and A-M like this.