*CLOSED* Blended Photo Mask Technique Scrap | iNSD 2020

Discussion in 'iNSD 2020 Party Pad' started by keepscrappin, May 4, 2020.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Masks are a helpful part of our life with the covid 19 pandemic going on right now. A couple of weeks ago I participated in a service project to sew 5 million masks to help protect local healthcare workers. I made 100 masks and it gave me such a great feeling to know these masks would help others. That got me thinking about another kind of mask that helps us as digital scrappers. I'm talking about clipping masks and today I'm going to go a step further and show you how to make your own blended photo mask to clip your photo to.

Rules and Prizes:
    • Submit a page featuring your blended photo mask.
    • Please post the gallery link or linked image BB Code in this thread.
    • Your page should be new and made exclusively for this challenge. It should not be submitted for any other challenge/game. All who complete a page, should post the page in the gallery here at TLP, which means it needs to comply with gallery rules. Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products. (Templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.
    • Layouts must be posted by Tuesday May 5 at 11 am EDT to be eligible for prize.
    • Participants completing/submitting a layout by the deadline will receive a $2 coupon to The Lilypad store.
    • Prizes will be distributed after the iNSD sale, as coupons are not valid during store-wide sales.

Blended Photo Mask Technique Scrap:

This technique slow scrap was inspired by a video by Scrapping with Liz that can be found here.

The instruction and screenshots below were created in PSE 19, but the steps are similar in other versions of PSE and Photoshop.

1. Start with a favorite textured paper. It can be mostly solid or as much texture as you'd like. I'm using a collage paper from Rachel Jefferies' Pocket Art: Signature Kit no 5.

2. Add a photo to blend. I changed mine to black and white because that's the look I wanted, but a color photo will work too.

3. Add a new layer to your layout by clicking the create new layer icon at the top of the layers panel.

create new layer.jpg

4. Click on the newly created layer and select the elliptical marquee tool by pressing M. You may have to press M another time to toggle to the elliptical marquee tool. In the tool options at the bottom select 150 px in the box for feather. (Make sure to change this back to zero later)

feather tool options.jpg

5. Drag out a circle. You can hold down shift to keep it a circle or not for an oval. You can also reposition it while dragging by holding down the space bar. This will give you marching ants around your circle.

6. Now you'll make the photo mask. Make sure the newly created empty layer is still selected and then select the paint bucket and click inside the circle to fill it with paint. This will add a feathered circle to your layout.

feathered circle.jpg

7. Press control D to deselect.

8. Rename this layer photo mask and drag it under the photo layer in the layers panel.

9. Clip your photo to the layer mask by selecting the photo layer and pressing control, alt, G or alt G in other versions of PSE.

clipped layers.jpg

10. Resize and reposition your photo to show how you'd like it to in the photo mask. You can also resize the photo mask as needed.

11. Blend the photo into the background paper. This is done by selecting the photo mask layer and selecting a blending mode and/or adjusting the opacity. You can use the arrow keys to scroll through the different blending modes to find one you like.

blending modes.jpg

12. You can also blend the photo by adjusting the fill opacity. As you can see in the above photo there is no fill opacity option in PSE. However, you can access fill opacity by using shortcuts.
    shift 0 is 100%
    shift 9 is 90%
    shift 8 is 80%
    shift 7 is 70% and so forth.
    Note: I prefer to use fill opacity over opacity when blending. Fill opacity only changes the layer contents but opacity changes everything in that layer including any blending modes or layer styles.

13. I ended up not changing the blending mode from normal. I just adjusted the fill opacity to 90% using the shift 9 shortcut for my finished layout.

[​IMG]

I can't wait to see all your beautifully blended creations.
    Have fun and keep scrappin! :hi5

A copy of the tutorial is attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  2. keepscrappin

I'm adding the screen shots right now... sorry they didn't copy over in the thread but they are in the pdf you can download.

The screen shots should be there now. :agree

3. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Just a beautiful LO - thanks for taking the time to teach us

4. keepscrappin

You're welcome! Thanks for coming to the demonstration. I can't wait to see everyone's blended photos!

5. keepscrappin

6. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

Kiss! Kiss!

7. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

So Sorry I Missed Your Chat!...I Blend Everything...I'm No Stranger To These Techniques...But I Have Been Trying To Figure Out How To Make My Own Masks For Awhile...I Would Like To Try This Technique...If I Have Some Time...I Have Other Things That I Have To Complete First...Great! Technique Challenge Idea!...:beat...

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

9. garrynkim

garrynkim I'm not messy, I'm just really creative!

Fun times! Thanks for the challenge:
    [​IMG]

Lisa B and keepscrappin like this.
  10. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Thank you for the tutorial!
    [​IMG]

11. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Thanks for teaching me something new Kayla! I wasn't able to feather my edges as much as yours, but I still like how it turned out. I used a Hard Light blending mode.
    [​IMG]

Lisa B, keepscrappin and wvsandy like this.
  12. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

Thanks for the technique, very useful. I had to show my geekiness by observing Star Wars Day - have the movies going all day.
    [​IMG]

Lisa B, keepscrappin and A-M like this.
  13. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Nifty technique that worked so well. Thank you.
    [​IMG]

14. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Sorry I missed the chat but thanks for the helpful and detailed instructions. I chose to do an oval mask rather than a circular one. Probably need to play with the technique more but I did like the kind of dreamy almost watercolor look that this attempt gave me.

[​IMG]

15. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

I am so sorry... I just realized I missed your chat, was deeply involved with finishing a Blind Scrap!... was really looking forward to it... so glad it is posted.... hopefully will get to do it anyway....

I am always blending photos and do make my own masks at times but your instructions are differnt so will try if time allows... 2 pages ahead of you...

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Kayla, thanks for the chat & challenge. You were awesome! Here's mine. I started off with an elongated oval, then ended up using a layer mask to brush out some of the background.

[​IMG]

Lisa B, keepscrappin and cfile like this.
  17. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

Learned lots of things with this one!
    [​IMG]

Lisa B, keepscrappin, mcurtt and 2 others like this.
  18. lmjrocko

lmjrocko See that in my rear view mirror? That's Michigan!

19. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

20. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Sorry I missed the chat, but here's my page.

[​IMG]

keepscrappin and mcurtt like this.