Christmas/Holiday Cards

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by SeattleSheri, Dec 4, 2019.

1. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

So I know sending cards is a bit of a dying art, but I still like to send and receive holiday/Christmas cards. I am having a MAJOR creativity block on my card! We took family photos over the weekend, so there is no shortage of photos, but I'm totally drawing a blank, sigh.

Do you send out cards? If so, how many? Do you design your own or go with a pre-made design?

p.s. if you have designs you're willing to share, would love to see them! :heartlub

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I don't send cards any more, but my sister sends more than 300 every year. I don't even know 300 people, LOL!

3. SeattleSheri

Oh wow, that is a lot! I used to send close to 100 (and I thought that was a lot!), but now I'm keeping it under 50. I send a digital version to work colleagues.

rach3975 and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  4. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I just ordered mine... we did something different this year. The front of the card is an illustration of our family drawn by former Lilypad designer Emily Merritt. The back is a collage of photos from throughout the year. I'll resize and post here later. We send/give out around 75 each year. I love mail, so I figure the best way to get it is to send it :-)

Last year I didn't have a big photo to use (our oldest's first year away at college and I just didn't get one taken), so I almost didn't do a card at all, but at the last minute, I decided to do one and used this template by Paislee Press...

[​IMG]
    I used the collage template on the back for a series of small photos from throughout the year.

A couple of years ago I just added this word art by Mommyish to my photo for our card...

[​IMG]

What has you stuck about your card design?

SeattleSheri likes this.
  5. SeattleSheri

@tkradtke those are great ideas! thank you for sharing ... and that is so cool that Emily Merritt did an illustration of your family!!! What a super fun idea for a card. I really look forward to getting cards. I'm actually surprised I haven't received any yet. Usually a few have tricked in by now.

I think I'm stuck because I'm trying to find something unique. I started designing a card yesterday and realized it was an almost exact replica of last year's card. I keep looking through my stash for inspiration but continue to draw a blank.

6. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

Because I don't have enough on my plate for the month, I've decided to make holiday cards this year. I haven't done any for years now and I figure since I'm starting fresh on everything else, why not this too? I mean, besides the fact that I've never made cards before, and getting them printed and ready to go is going to be an exercise in pure determination ... but other than that, sure, there's no reason not to, right? Ugh. Sometimes I just want to stab myself with a fork. :-D

SeattleSheri likes this.
  7. sthomas51004

sthomas51004 Well-Known Member

I have mad my cards for many years. When my son was younger we did photo cards each year but now that he is an adult I don't have photo cards so I make cards. Either with my collections of stamps or I use my Silhouette. I was not prepared this year and have a lot to finish before I can send them.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  8. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I still post out Christmas cards to relatives and friends who live away from us, mostly in another state here in
    Australia as we moved interstate 6 years ago. I think I have about 35 on my list to send to this year.
    My cards are mostly papercraft with rubber stamping.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I made my own again this year. I usually use family photos, but decided to do something else this year. I get mine printed at Walgreens and have been very happy with their work over the years. I'd love to show you mine (they're digital of course) but I didn't use Lilypad designs. I'm selling them in my new online store, though. I just had 5x7 flat cards made and personalized the back.

I just remembered, I posted some cards on my Instagram feed - I used the card with the fox on it. *wink wink* The link to the store is in my IG Bio, too.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    SeattleSheri likes this.
  10. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I've never created my own. I always just buy a box at the store. But I think I want to create some to send digitally and then I'll buy a box for those I want to mail.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I used to always create my own... first with rubber stamped designs (TOO much time) and then I started making digital cards. I had one year that I loved so much that I couldn't think of anything to top it, so I've been just buying cards at the end of Christmas when they are on clearance and I just hand write a note inside and send those out with school pictures of the kids. Last year I REALLY pared down my list to about 20 people too. It's so expensive even just for stamps when I was sending out almost 100 each year. I will say that both buying premade cards and then limiting the number of people I send them out to has really decreased the pressure and stress of sending those cards out each year.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  12. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I haven't sent out cards for many years except for my Dad/Martha. I still send a card to Martha. The last time I did a card for anybody else was 14 or 15 years ago and it was a photo card from Shutterfly of my 2 dogs in costume. I sent out less than 20 cards.

For years I sent out cards but finally realized that many I sent to didn't send out cards and I wasn't receiving anywhere close to what I was sending out. Then with the cost of postage getting higher and higher it just got to the point I felt it was a waste of money. And, I really didn't enjoy getting them ready to send out. So here I am. Not doing cards and not stressed about it.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  13. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I’m only sending out a handful of personal cards this year. Instead, my focus is on providing cards (with handwritten notes) to our local nursing homes. I’m also participating in a project that is sending out cards to the veterans at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

14. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I do digitally 4x6's printed at Walmart for 9cents each! I get 75 usually. 50 to my church family, so don't think I am all that popular! lol I send 10 out to family, and 10 more to friends far away. The digitally FB and email to others. I love them
    12072015-fam-pic1-copy.jpg 4x6cmas.jpg
    00cmas card 2018.jpg
    2009finalcmascard.jpg
    these are old and I stretched from powerpoint (that is what I scrapped on in 2005!!), but they are our favorites!
    cmas-cards.jpg

15. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I make a personal card for my hubby.. I send box cards as I do not want to worry about printing etc. We have no kids so sending boxed works for me. Over the years the amount has dwindled.. I am down to about 40 now... If I don't get one back I cross off the list for next year.

I used to get my boxed cards at Kohls... last year also at AC Moore Craft store.. this year, not a one was found at Kohl's or AC Moore (I went there yesterday knowing it is a going out of business sale) but nope they never stocked them to sell this year at either place. I even tried Walgreens and they only had Hallmark Boxed which had 15 cards for $20 and I said ummm NOPE! LOL I will go back to Walmart this weekend and pick up a few boxes.. unbelievable hardly anyone selling boxed cards anymore.

LoveItScrapIt and SeattleSheri like this.
  16. pagefrocks

pagefrocks ♥•:*¨¨*:•♥•:*¨¨*:•.♥

I make a handful of cards for friends who are big on the card giving/receiving, but that's it. I purchase cards for colleagues for our annual holiday lunch/gift giving event.

Most years I have ambitious plans that never come to fruition . . . this year, I'm trying to be realistic.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  17. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I still send holiday cards! Usually about 100 or so. I actually mail about 60 then between both hubby & I's work peeps & neighbors, those take up the rest.

I have designed my own in the past, but I've found that there are so many good designs already between Tiny Prints, Shutterfly, etc that it's not worth my time! ;)

Our card this year:
    20191117_143551.jpg 20191117_143559.jpg

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  18. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Love @AnneofAlamo 's collaged card! Awesome!

I haven't sent in years. I used to make my own - handmade. I still love receiving them but just have not been one to send in quite a few years.

I hope something you love comes to you. You'll have to share when you finish!

SeattleSheri likes this.
  19. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I got my cards back from Walgreen's yesterday and I LOVE them!

SeattleSheri likes this.
  20. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I usually make my own and post them on social media for everyone to see.

BUT this year I did something totally different and I kind of love it. We had actually gotten family photos done (for the first time in 7 years) as a gift from some of my homeschool moms so I had nice photos to use and decided to order Christmas cards from Shutterfly. I just got them today! I love them. I only ordered 15 so now I have to decide who to send them to. Probably just immediate family. I'll probably still design my own and post them on social media on Christmas day.

Maybe next year I'll order more.

SeattleSheri likes this.