Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM? Anyone have this?

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by Nettie B, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Nettie B

Nettie B Guess what color my hair is!

Anyone have this little "pancake prime"? What do y'all think? Looks very, very tempting for the price.

2. asali

asali Mad for Marzipan

to be honest I haven't heard about many people having it. Much more popular is 35mm but of course its price is quite high. I'm not sure if it makes sense to buy this kind of lens with f/2.8. It would be quite dark I think. The best way is to check some website with the photos taken by people and read some reviews from different websites

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have a 35mm 1.8 that I really love to play with, but I don't know anything about the one you listed.

4. toriloowho

toriloowho Yep… I'm an over thinker.

It gets really good reviews at FredMiranda.com and at B&H. No, at f/2.8 it's not as fast as the 50mm 1.8, which has a similar price point, but I think the appeal of this particular lens is that it's so small. I've been quite intrigued by it as a walk around lens. The small profile would make it so much easier to carry my camera around with me more.

5. Nettie B

Nettie B Guess what color my hair is!

Bookmarked several reviews, and the walk shots are just impressive... that's what I was after, a quick walk around lens - and boy, would this be small profile. There's a grand re-opening sale at the local camera store, maybe I'll get to go play...

6. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

huh?

7. asali

asali Mad for Marzipan

I meant we buy (also for bokeh) 1.4 or 1.2 prime lenses so comparing to these ones it would be darker. I had an option to play with prime lenses f/2.8 (not this one) and I noticed the difference. It depends what we want to photograph. I'd miss the option to go at least to 1.8. That's just my personal opinion.

8. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

I have three lenses that all open up to only f/2.8 and have never considered any of them being "too dark." That aperture is still considered to be a fast aperture.

9. mollyc

I shoot Nikon, so I can't help with the actual recommendation for the Canon pancake lens, but I believe the reviews for it are all pretty positive. :)

10. asali

asali Mad for Marzipan

of course it's fast I just compared it with f1.8, 1.4 ones as recently I had to buy one of the prime lenses and I have chosen the 1.4 one instead of the cheaper f2.8. It all depends on what we need it for.

11. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I see....I'd never heard of anyone thinking f/2.8 is too dark before, but you could easily solve that problem by adjusting your ISO and/or shutter speed. =)

Also...I think shooting at wider apertures can be tricky, and I wouldn't recommend shooting wider than f/2.8 for a moving subject or multiple subjects. I know what you're saying about bokeh...I do love both of my f/1.2 lenses, but, it's hard to justify dropping $1,000+ on a lens, unless you're a pro. ;)

12. asali

asali Mad for Marzipan

I totally understand your point but there are also cheaper options like 1.4 or 1.8, ISO is a way of solving problems but if you don't like grain and you have shoots indoors some slight differences can make a big difference. I've tried some lenses with the same settings at f/3.5, f/2.8, f/1.4 and I saw the difference during my photo shoots that's why I prefered to wait some time and went for 1.4. I repeat that's MY personal opinion based on my experience and what I like.

13. mollyc

The 40 mm pancake lens is a specialty lens, though, sacrificing a bit of light for the sake of weight and size. The whole point of it is to be a walkaround lens that is very low profile. If you want a fast lens, then you have a different need that this lens may not be suited for. :)