Bugs | Pad Patter 4.30

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Apr 30, 2023.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

It's that time of year when all the bugs are making their come back! I would never complain about warmer weather, but the bugs I could do without. I really dislike spiders, but I get that they can be useful. I think if there's one bug that I wish would go away forever it would be stink bugs. I hate them so much!

Do you have a most hated bug?
    And if anyone has any ways to keep stink bugs away, I'd love to hear them!

G.J. and umyesh like this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Bugs are why spring will never be my favorite season. Spiders are my least favorite. Good luck with the stink bugs!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

MOSQUITOS!!!
    They are the only thing I hate about living on the lake!! We bought a mosquito vac this year from a friend who swears by it...so hopefully it help!!

G.J. and IntenseMagic like this.
  4. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I've never heard of stink bugs.
    I'm allergic to insect bites, so this time of the year I'm taking lots of antihistamines.

5. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Cockroaches ... when I lived in military housing it was a constant battle to keep them at bay. That was 40+ years ago, but I still worry about getting them in my house. It doesn't help that the teens love to eat in their bedrooms and leave open packages of food laying around ...

My next least favorite bug are cave crickets (aka camel crickets or spider crickets) ... the darn things jump towards you instead of away. I've seen fewer and fewer of them in my basement since having termite bait traps installed around my foundation. Am guessing the termite bait attracts and kills them too.

Not a fan of stink bugs either ... or gnats, esp. when I'm trying to mow my lawn.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

ok, so I leave bugs alone, and usually they leave me alone. :giggle I'm not a fan, but they didn't do anything wrong, and they are usually around for a reason that is beneficial to me... I know, not all, but I'm weird.

I have one bug(?) that I really dislike... and only cause they appear in my basement at times, and they jump. I freak out a bit. They are called Spider Crickets or I've heard also called Camel Crickets or Cave Crickets. UGHHHH.... when they get startled, they jump at whatever startled them! Meeeeee! Aaaaaaaaa! if they weren't occasionally in my basement, I wouldn't care about them as much.

IntenseMagic and Memaw2Wm like this.
  7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I've heard that spearmint oil will keep stink bugs away... and that they don't like dryer sheets. A friend rubs a dryer sheet on her screen doors and windows, lol!

G.J. and IntenseMagic like this.
  8. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

Definitely mosquitoes! I always feel bad because my daughter is a mosquito magnet so we'll all be fine sitting outside and she'll discover huge welts from bites.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

@dawnmarch I’m exactly like your daughter, doesn’t matter what country I’m in I get bitten by mosquitoes. Often I wonder if I need to drown myself in mosquito repellent or Aloe Vera spray as I am so much of a target.

10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I had stink bugs outside last summer around my garage door. I had to ask my neighbor what they were, I had no idea. He said they were accumulating because we were in a very dry period with little rain. They were also hanging around my new Ring motion lights that had been put up in July. There were a few on the patio light but not like the front garage light. Thankfully, they never got in the house but I did have to keep my garage door down and I love to have it open during the summer! A quick google says they are attracted to light which explains why they were where they were at my house.

Another reason for the garage door being down was I had a whole lot of bees hanging around a plant that was very close to the garage door. I'm talking all over my autumn joy sedum. In the 3 years I had that, I had never had that many bees. It and limelight hydrangea (bees in this one also) next to it were also getting too big for the area so I had all of them taken out when the landscaping company did the fall cleanup in December. I'm having gold mop cypress put in there instead (love the ones I already have).

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

Wasps - hate them ... they're just so mean. And scary. lol

IntenseMagic likes this.
  12. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

My most hated bugs are ticks. I lost count already how many I've pulled off me this year alone. I hate them so much because here in Missouri USA, they get so bad I can't go trail walking anymore. :angry

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

I utterly totally devotedly HATE HATE HATE them all. Have arachnophobia (for real - if I get a spider on me, I go into full-blown panic attack). But the most pointless, disgusting little thing is the earwigs. YUK!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I have a pest control come monthly LOL Our house is on a sandy soil and slab foundation. When we moved in, in Oct 1999 there was an infiltration of ants... I was having rugs replaced and moving company coming in with furniture and the rug guy removing the old rug saw a 6 inch swarm under the rug around by the front window.. I only had W-D40 as everything else was packed so I sprayed quickly LOL the next day started our relationship with the pest control company. We would get ants in the Spring and also in October for whatever reason.. now the pest guy has it under control and takes care of ants, spiders and the rest of the insects for me :)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I should add - there are lots of harmless bugs and they do have their place and role on Earth. I find them fun to photograph. I like beetles for example. Had a nice population of Rhinoceros Beetles in SA, TX. I also LOVE butterflies and glow bugs. I do not want spiders to touch me, but they are welcome in my home (within reason) as they eat other bugs. Jumping spiders are the cutest ever! Don and I make a point of not killing spiders. If it needs to leave the house, we'll scoop it up in a cup and place it outdoors (any poisonous to human spiders are fair game to kill however...them or me. Them.)

IMG_7693.JPG

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

We get a couple of stink bugs in our house each year and they always startle me. Lol. I just relocated them outside, which means they probably just find their way back in. Oh well. Thankfully it's not a lot of them ever. I do not like spiders in my house. They get smooshed. (Sorry Lisa) Lol. If I could get rid of one bugs it would be mosquitos. They are evil and make me itch so bad! I know they are good food for other creatures though, so I guess I just wish they'd leave me alone! Oh! I take it back. Ticks are THE WORST. They are creepy and gross and I want those all dead!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Currently dealing with lots of ants in my house. Don't know where they come from. But it's save to say I do not like them.

I'm not a bugs person AT ALL but I mostly hate slugs and snails (in Dutch we say 'slak' to both so I count them as one). Ugh. Especially slugs are my worst nightmare.

ETA:
    Grasshoppers always seem to find me. They're in and around my house and car and once even jumped on me while I was watching tv. The scariest. Nobody understands my fear and they never believes me when I say they follow me, until they actually see them on my windows. It's weird and scary.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    IntenseMagic and Memaw2Wm like this.
  18. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

I was going to say mosquitoes, but then you reminded me of ticks. I hate ticks! They're a huge problem in my area too, and apparently there's a new species ("an aggressive biter") to worry about (this in Ontario and Quebec).

IntenseMagic likes this.
  19. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Um yeah. Hard pass. I say no to any and all bugs. Even the praying mantis we have around in the Fall creep me out. We get those dang stink bugs too- they tend to be seasonal here and we usually get a ton all at once crawling all over the house- thankfully I haven't ever found any inside. barf...

20. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

I don't like bugs but my son will not let us kill anything LOL so he usually takes them all outside for us. He especially likes spiders...eek, crazy boy! I really hate house centipedes though, they creep me out so bad. They do kill spiders though.
    [​IMG]