Backing Up Scrapbook Layouts

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Jenna, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Jenna

Jenna Jenna

How and what do you back-up "scrapping" related? I have two external hard-drives that I put all my edited 4x6 photos on separated by date and per child. I also backup all my TLP kids and resources as well as all my completed layouts in Photoshop format. I want to get some online storage but I am unsure of what to backup online. In a crisis, I would MOST want my edited pics for the kids and full-size layouts in .jpg format that I could still print for them.

What do you back up? Where?

2. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I back up my whole internal and external hard drive through CrashPlan. There's no limit so why not do it all?

3. lizj

lizj Active Member

I too use Crashplan and really recommend them. They will send you an EHD to which you load the initial back up. Then you send back the EHD, they load it at their end, and then you set the backup for any new data going forward. You can do the initial back up online instead of using the EHD, but it takes for.ev.er and in my experience it is a nuisance to do the initial back up on line.

I also have a Flickr Pro account to which I load all of my photos and saved for web lo's. but for saving full size Crashplan is better.

And because I happen to have a Mac and a PC I also use Time Capsule on my Mac. But I like the online storage, in case anything happens to my computers, I know I can retrieve the data from Crashplan.

4. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I'll be different, I use Backblaze for my online storage. Backblaze also backs up attached EHD's, but you have to make sure you have it connected at least once every 30 days so they won't delete your data. I considered switching to CrashPlan because of this, but I read a comparison somewhere that confirmed that Backblaze is faster at the backup than CrashPlan. So I just attach my EHD each month when I get the reminder email from them.

I backup all my document folders (non-scrapbooking), my finished layered files (I can always recreate a jpg for print), and digi supplies that are on my internal hard drive, as well as my music and video files on my EHD. I should add that periodically I also back up everything on both internal HD and EHD to a desktop EHD

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  5. JuliettePerkins

JuliettePerkins I eat, sleep, breathe Apple.

I second this - having recovered from three (yeah... seriously...) EHD failures as a result of CrashPlan I can't recommend them enough, also their customer service is literally excellent. Either by ticket or by real time chat.

6. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

I use Crashplan, too. I back it ALL up both to an EHD that sits next to my desktop and to their cloud storage. I've recovered a full crash and only lost a little tagging of stuff because I was just doing it at the time. And then there was the time I accidentally deleted my whole Anna Aspnes folder.... {got that back, too}

7. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I did my initial CrashPlan backup online. How long it takes depends, of course, on the size of your drive(s) and the speed of your internet service, but I didn't have a problem with doing it this way. I'm pretty sure the EHD offer is US-only anyway. At first I selected to backup just my photos, to make sure that was done first. Once that was backed up, I checked all the boxes and now everything is backed up. Easy peasy.

8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm still doing all my own backups. I store all my pictures, digi supplies and layouts on 1 portable External Hard Drive. Then I have a 2nd internal HD in my computer that I use to backup everything on my EHD. I also take my EHD to work once a week and back up to a 3rd EHD that I keep there as my offsite back up.

I used to back up to DVDs and MAN did that take forever! I guess as another method of backing up, I upload all my layouts to Shutterfly since that's who I use to print my photobooks. If anything were to happen I could reprint all my books through them.

9. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I back up my original photos & full-size layouts to Flickr. I also have multiple EHDs, including one at my mom's, where I back up my supplies.

10. Jenna

Jenna Jenna

Thanks for all the feedback. I never in a zillion years considered there would be reasonable UNLIMITED backup plans. Ever. Thanks for enlightening me!! :D

11. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

Interesting!! I've been thinking about an online backup too. I'll check ot out to see how much it costs...

12. JuliettePerkins

JuliettePerkins I eat, sleep, breathe Apple.

Oh oh oh... I use crashplan. I had a hard drive failure on Sunday afternoon and am drawing everything down to my drive again. I can't recommend it enough - even the initial pain on your bandwidth and minor expense is worth it to protect you stuff.

I back up literally everything - all photos, all layouts (in psd and every printable that I make), all my stash, all my original zip files as downloaded, all of it.

13. emkayess2

emkayess2 I is a member of the grammer police ...

I use Backblaze-- it's only $5/month to constantly back up my computer and EHD (which I keep connected almost all the time on my desk). The EHD is the most important because it has photos since 2001, plus all digi supplies and layouts (which I save as TIFFs and a small jpg for web use).

It gives me so much peace of mind!

A little PSA, though. I organize with ACDSee, and I almost learned the hard way that it does not embed your ACDSee data in files unless you manually tell it to. Fortunately my hard drive had NOT failed when I thought it did and I was able to get everything embedded on my EHD, but just know that you should be going to Tools>Embed ACDSee Data>All Files frequently.

14. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

The old line is true re failures/crashes...It's not if, it's when.

I too am a serious backup person with my auto backup to a 2T ehd via Mac's Time Machine, and that plus my 3 other ehds get backed up via CrashPlan. I know we have been darn lucky not to ever lose anything but I check my electronic tools a lot and keep em 'clean'. For all the work we do it's well worth the effort. imho.

15. katieFLapple

katieFLapple Active Member

Another vote for CrashPlan. I used their seed service where they send you an EHD and it was so quick! Gives me so much peace of mind knowing that all my data is safe! I also back up to an EHD here at home to be doubly protected.

16. Ink and Pixels

Ink and Pixels Active Member

Crashplan.. I back up everything.

17. PLM

Okay, I'm going to ask a perhaps stupid question... Is it possible to have several persons using the same Crash Plan account? My sister and I would join up, but don't know if it's possible. And if it works in Belgium too. I am going to do some searching today...

18. PLM

Well, my family apparently has issues about the privacy of the things you upload. Do you only do photos, layouts, graphics, etc... or also personal documents?

After reading the several threads in the forum, I read alot they did promos in the past at CrashPlan.
    Do they stil do that? And if yes, can you tell at what date(s) that usually was?

19. dailydwelling

dailydwelling Confidently cooking and creating

I use Carbonite for my online backups. We've used it for several years now.

20. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

I almost think I remember a Crashplan promotion around Black Friday last year...