Babysitters - how to find them?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by cherryberry, Aug 29, 2011.

1. cherryberry

cherryberry Hottie Patottie!

I seriously need some help people.

My boys are 7 and almost 4 and have never had a babysitter. We do not have family close by. It's like we have had a 8pm curfew every night of our lives for the last 7 years. I think it's about time for DH and I to break curfew once in awhile.

Now the hard part. How do I find a babysitter? I don't really know anyone that uses one so word of mouth is out. Do I call the middle school or high school? Does Red Cross give a list of kids who have completed their babysitting course? We have neighborhood kids - do I just ask them? :giggle I'm at a loss.

What age do you think is appropriate to look after a 7 and 4 year old for an evening? I'm pretty sure I started babysitting neighborhood kids when I was in Grade 6 but that seems awfully young.

2. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

My daughter, who is 13, babysits for some of the families in our neighborhood. Ironically, I personally haven't ever used a babysitter that young. I actually prefer at least 16, but it's tough because many of them have boyfriends by that age and are going out themselves on the weekend. Besides word of mouth, which I know you said won't work for you, I've found the local community college to be a great resource. The early childhood education program here has a special board where you can get hooked up with babysitters. Typically, these girls have good training, references and they need the money. HTH - you need a night out!!

3. Arumrose

Arumrose Filling up my passport!

You can also ask other parents in your neighboord if they ask some babysister they can give you some references and tell you wether this one is serious or not...

4. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

i prefer the older kids - more like 15/16+ish.

we've been blessed to find them usually through church, VBS (i always scope out what older kids are working) or word-of-mouth. lately, i've also found a couple of good ones who are swim lesson teachers. sometimes, too, i've found older siblings of playmates are also good.

good luck - about time you had some alone time, out, w/ DH!

5. karen perry

karen perry LOCK THE DOOR!

Oh tiki shall I send some of mine were the opposite I got that many nieces and nephews nans and sisters that argue over mine especially gabbi and we rarely go out,I don't know what to suggest cause I've never had to do it but good luck and shout if you want me to ship one of mine over lol

6. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

ya tiki i was going to suggest asking at a church. a lot of times they'll have teens whose families are really well established in the church & the staff would be able to vouch for them. having moved so many times, we've encountered this issue time and time again. we have usually ended up finding someone word of mouth, but finding someone through church has worked well too.

7. Leah

Leah Member

That's a tough one...

My parents are close-by, but I don't like to rely on them to do ALL the babysitting. So when our youngest (now 5.5) was 6 weeks old, we advertised for someone to come in once a week, so that we could go out and play slow pitch (ball). We really lucked out! But I was very specific in what I was looking for as well.
    Since then, we've had really great babysitters. But when we moved back in to the city last summer, we had no one and had to start back at square one.

I advertise on a local website. I prefer to have someone 15+, but would consider younger if the maturity is there. I want someone that is not wishy washy. When it's bedtime, it's bedtime. When the answer is no, it's no. KWIM?
    I'm willing to pick-up and take home the babysitter, but having their own transportation would be a bonus.

We just got a new babysitter a couple of months ago. She's 18 and has her own car. She's worked with kids before, but I am finding she's a little flaky. But then again, I'm also anal. ;)

8. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

Aww Tiki I feel you...I hope you can find one! Date time is so important.

For many years we didn't have sitters..and right now we're still in transition post-move and haven't found one yet. Asking a neighborhood kid is a good place to start, or older siblings of the boys' friends? Is there a rec center or ymca nearby? Sometimes they have babysitter lists. And it usually will be a list of those who are "certified" and have taken the Red Cross class, etc. Or connections through church? We've been blessed to find good child care options through church.

I've heard a bit about http://www.sittercity.com/ here and there in news features and such, but I've no personal experience with them. But it looks like it may be an option..seems like they have references and background checks and such even.

9. jdesai

jdesai Wonders what's in a name?

I'm in same boat as you are. Hubby and I have never gone out once by ourselves once our daughter was born almost 7 years ago. In our case, hubby doesn't want to leave kids with a babysitter. We just end up doing all kids activity. I'm really frustrated is an under statement.

10. crazygirl

crazygirl Opening a post office

do you go to a church?
    we have a plethora of confident teens through our church.

i belong to the church of jesus christ of latter day saints. the mormons.
    if you have any friends through school or in your neighborhood, who are LDS.
    just ask them for some names of some girls.
    i guarantee they will know lots.
    and you will love them. too bad you don't live by me.
    my daughter LOVES kids. she is THE BEST baby sitter in the world!
    LOL

good luck!

11. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

We've gotten most of ours through church, either pastor's kids or kids of the staff. Also from the high school associated with our church (a public evangelical Christian school) - the school office has a list of names of kids interested in babysitting. Once we get one we like, we pay them what I think is very well ($10 an hour, rounding up to nearest hour - so 3 1/2 hours we pay $40). But, we expect them to interact and actively engage the kids while they are awake. And our 2 boys can be a handful sometimes. :)