August Monthly Muse Week 3 -The Classics!

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by ArmyGrl, Aug 14, 2023.

1. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

AUGUST MUSE: THE WORLD OF BOOKS

In honor of National Book Lover’s Day in August, this month’s muse is dedicated to The World of Books and creating Bookmarks!

Week 3 Challenge: Create a Bookmark then incorporate the bookmark into a layout.
    Category: The Classics

The genre of Classical Books is diverse and vast! Classics come from all cultures and time periods – from the Greek Classics such as Homer’s Odyssey, to Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales, to Russian Classics such as Leo Tolstoy’s War and Peace, and on through the Great American Classics such as F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby.

Classical Books span many genres from horror classics like Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein to romance classics like Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice all the way through military strategy such as Sun-Tzu The Art of War.

The Classics include some of my ALL TIME favorites such as J.M. Barrie’s Peter Pan, Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol, and Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland. It goes to show that Classics stand up to the test of time and are generational favorites.

Seriously, this week – the world is your oyster! There is so much to pick from! If you need a little help and inspiration to narrow down your choice, Penguin Classics has a delightful list of 100 must read classics: https://www.penguin.co.uk/articles/2022/05/100-must-read-classic-books

Peeking through all the book covers may inspire your bookmark and layout page design too!

Additionally, here are some quotes from Classics that may help get your creative juices flowing:

1. “After all, tomorrow is another day!” Margaret Mitchell, Gone with the Wind

2. “Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” Charles Dickens, David Copperfield

3. “I was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life.” F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

4. “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” Louisa May Alcott, Little Women

5. “We’re all mad here.” Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

6. “Second start to the right and straight on ‘til morning.” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

7. “Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.” Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

8. “Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us.” Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

9. "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.” Edgar Allen Poe, Eleonora**

10. “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of The Ring

**Note: I do believe everything written by Edgar Allen Poe is considered a Classic. If you chose the Poe route, please keep to his stories only (poetry will be covered later).

In keeping with this month’s weekly challenges, for week three:

1. Create at least one unique bookmark based on The Classics book category.
    2. After you create your bookmark, incorporate it into a layout.

Your layout may be progressive style, adding each week’s bookmark to the layout. Or you may be inspired to create a unique layout each week.

You can create in any style – clean and simple, artsy, pocket pages etc. And, your layout may be digital or hybrid. Just be sure to follow TLP’s rules when posting to the gallery (at least 50% current TLP product).

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to Midnight EST August 31, 2023. Then post your layout into this thread by copying the “Share BB Code” located on the right side of your gallery image.

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! Every bookmark you create is equal to one entry in the random draw. So, if you create 1 bookmark + 1 layout you are entered once, if you create 4 bookmarks + 1 layout you are entered 4 times - this month it is based on the number of bookmarks you make. (Number of bookmarks will however be capped at 4. You can make more of course, but you will only be entered 4 times in the random draw.)
    [​IMG]

Paula Kesslering's gals reminded me of flappers - which reminded me of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.

Karen likes this.
  2. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

oooh, well I KNOW what I am doing in the next couple of days!! Thanks Lisa for a great week's challenge! :fairydance

Absolutely love your bookmarks and how they look in your books! :heartlub Gorgeous work as always and I definitely going to print mine out at the end of the month, I am in need of some new ones too!

3. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

I decided what book to focus on but I'm afraid I'm going to scare everyone. lol

garrynkim and wombat146 like this.
  4. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

Here are mine for this week, I am having so much fun making these!! I will definitely be printing some out to give to people at Christmas time as little gifts! :)

I used Anja's latest elf cards as the starting point, in line with the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit theme ........... I think the elves were the best part of those stories! :)

[​IMG]

and my layout:
    [​IMG]

5. ArmyGrl

You have me intrigued!!!!

6. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

This was trickier that I originally thought Lisa, so thanks for making me work for it :giggle
    I have read so many classics it was nearly impossible to choose 1! So I went back to the beginning and picked one of the first ever Classic books that I read when I was a kid - The Tales of Peter Rabbit (a childhood fav). I am loving this months Muse!
    [​IMG]

7. *sylvia*

*sylvia* Well-Known Member

thank you for the challenge

[​IMG]

amandac likes this.
  8. ArmyGrl

:giggle It's such a wonderful book category in that it's incredibly diverse! Really, any genre can become a classic or is a classic. I love that you picked Peter Rabbit!!!!

amandac likes this.
  9. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

When I took political philosophy in college, one of the books I remembered long after the class ended was The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. Not sure what that says about me. lol

[​IMG]

10. garrynkim

garrynkim I'm not messy, I'm just really creative!

Here is my week 3. My favorite classics: Little Women and To Kill a Mockingbird
    [​IMG]

11. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

12. nollipap

nollipap Well-Known Member