August Accountability!! Put your goals here! GET Fit or FITTER

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Aug 1, 2018.

1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I am no KETO expert - but from what I've read berries are among the fruits that are most recommended in small amounts. Though some say to introduce them later. Blueberries, black berries, cranberries, raspberries and strawberries. They each have slightly different carb counts. I do eat a bit of yogurt but I make sure it is as low as possible in sugar and whole milk not a % of low-fat. I only have a bit of yogurt and a sprinkle of fruit maybe 2x a week. And then I'm extra careful about carbs for the rest of the days meals. That yogurt and tiny bit of berries makes the carb count go up quickly for the day!

Here is one list (of many) of foods and carb counts -
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kg5tJVTEqlHJTFiQ64ORQ0P6s3qEnjALPVFI_rIuW7I/edit#gid=0

Here is the calculator I used for determining my Macros (the amount of protein fat and carbs you should be eating for your intended goal, IE weight loss, etc) from Ketogains website https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/...acro_calculator_and_how_to_set_up_your_macros

more FAQs: https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

If you know the Carb amount you want to stay under (say 20 grams of Carb per day) using an App like Carb Mgr or my Fitness Pal etc - will help you understand how many carbs you are eating each day and where they are coming from. You track your meals and snacks and your get an estimate of your calories too. It is very helpful to understand that! (at least to start). I lost 8 lbs in 2/3 weeks and I did not exercise at that point. It was ALL diet.

2. EllenT

EllenT I live for that hourglass ...

Thanks so much Jenn @jk703 . The sites are very helpful and I will download the Carb Mgr app now.

3. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I posted this in the Q&A section, but there are more people reading at this location, so I will repost it here:

WE've been keto-ing for over a year. Since DH does it with me, it has been pretty easy. I lost about 30 pounds, then stalled. I have now added intermittent fasting, and just love it--almost a euphoric feeling. It was scary at first, but I survived, and each time, it is easier, and it makes life so much simpler. I've not decided on a fasting routine for the long run yet, but until I've lost a lot more weight, I will do extended fasts (3-5 days), interspersed with 24-hour fasts (going from keto-dinner to keto-dinner--no breakfasts or lunches). Surprisingly, DH, who has always been afraid to miss a meal, is fasting too! Not as frequently as I do (he is pretty slender, and I'm way over-weight still), but he learned he won't die, or even suffer much (!) if he skips breakfast and lunch. Our grocery bill is shrinking even faster than our waists. I feel AWESOME. Thought I'd be weak and lethargic. Quite the opposite. I'm energized, and my thinking seems sharper too! I was inspired by, and follow Dr. Jason Fung's book, "The Complete Guide to Fasting," and also listen to podcasts for encouragement. Some non-scale benefits: No more acid reflux waking me up at night...no more heartburn at all! My joints don't ache any more. I'm more flexible. I've been able to get off my diuretic meds. I expect I'll soon be able to lower or eliminate my blood pressure meds. etc. And BTW, I will be 72 years old next month, and feel better than I have since I was in my 30s.

The thing I have to remember is to get enough salt, so I make chicken bone broth (in my Insta-Pot), and drink a cup of that every day or two. Magnesium is also very important. I take a "high absorption" supplement, and also have a bottle of magnesium cream to rub on my legs if I feel restless leg syndrome coming on. If I could get in and out of the bathtub more easily, I would soak in my Jacuzzi with Epson salts. After I lose a little more weight, I'll try that again, because absorbing magnesium (present in Epson salts) through the skin is the most efficient way to get it.

I also have to hydrate, but that is easy. I keep ice water in a thermal cup. When I feel the occasional hunger pang, I drink water, and find something to distract me until the pang goes away (and they always pass quite quickly, and come less frequently the longer you fast).

As to fruit: Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries are fine in moderation. Blueberries have more sugar. Watermelon and other melons have way too much sugar, as do the other "standard" fruits such as apples, bananas, pears, peaches, etc.

Carrots, peas, corn: Nope. Too high in sugar.

Artificial sweeteners (all of them, even the "good" ones), are insulin stimulators. They may not have the calories of sugar, but if you are insulin (or carbohydrate) intolerant, they are as harmful as sugar. Bad news, I know. I've always been a sweet-a-holic, and thought artificial sweeteners were a good alternative. I thought it would be really hard to give up my diet Pepsi, but it hasn't been. On my keto-eating days, I treat myself to ONE low-carb cookie (I make them) after dinner. If I had to go totally without sweets EVER again, I wouldn't even WANT to continue. At least that's how I feel NOW. I hear that too may go away. But I can't imagine not eating a few bites of wedding cake when the opportunity arises! LOL

MrsEm likes this.
  4. EllenT

EllenT I live for that hourglass ...

@SharLamb. You go girl!! You gave a lot of useful info. So do you just eat dinner on the days you fast?

@jenn mccabe. I got the carb manager and tracked what I ate today, 50g of carbs! 15% net carbs, 63% fat and 22% protein . 1234 calories
    I have to have milk, but I will cut that in half . And I will have to throw out the grapes, peaches and cantaloupe that I just bought. And poor Abby, she will really miss the cool whip treat at night .

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  5. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

@SharLamb I too love fasting!!
    I fast every monday, all day until after I swim on Tuesday break it at 130. I try to do the intermittent fast also. My window of eating is 2pm to 6pm. YOU are so right to the energy and clear headedness! I get so much accomplished!

breakfast is hard meal for me to have, cause I do treadmill in morning and then swim at 11am. food in tummy not good combination! lol

SharLamb likes this.
  6. jenn mccabe

It's eye opening right? If you find a good list of acceptable and unacceptable foods - it helps.

7. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

Hello, girls. I've been MIA all week to celebrate my birthday but I got back on the mat tonight for practice #3. Chair pose is straight from the devil but tonight I actually enjoyed the trembling and burning. Possibly losing my mind. I'm on track to get my 10 in in the month of August but I'm going to try to do another one tomorrow so I stay ahead, wish me luck.

8. AnneofAlamo

@MrsEm luck and perseverance to you. Woo hoo

9. SharLamb

Sometimes I do a 24-hour fast, which means I eat a Keto dinner, then don't eat again until the next day at dinner (also keto). Sometimes I just skip breakfast, so it's more like an 18-hour fast, followed by keto lunch and dinner. Right now I'm in the midst of an extended fast...planning to go 5 to 7 days. Tomorrow I'm playing golf after 2 days of fasting...my first time trying that. In the pre-fasting days, I used to think I needed an extra big breakfast before playing golf, and plenty of cheese and chunks of meat to snack on DURING golf. I'd be nervous about tomorrow, but my experience is that I don't lose energy, rather feel MORE energetic. Tomorrow the main goal will be to keep hydrated.

10. jenn mccabe

:giggle

Good for you - you got this ... and happy belated birthday!

MrsEm likes this.
  11. jenn mccabe

Finally ... after taking way too many days off from exercising ...
    I did 4.8 miles of hills yesterday (walking) in the blazing heat. It was not pretty but hubby was with with me to keep me moving. Being only about 1 week into the low carb/keto thing again - I was feeling really light headed and dizzy. Kinda scary actually. Hoping to move my butt today too!

I deftly want to try the fasting thing @SharLamb and @AnneofAlamo and have read a little bit about it and am taking notes from you two, but I think I'll wait until I get a little deeper into this Keto thing ... maybe when I hit a plateau with the weight loss. May be knocking on your doors for more advice at that point.

12. SharLamb

Yes, Jenn. Fasting is easier once you are "fat-burning adapted." Your body already knows to stop whining for carbs and just go ahead and burn fat.

I'm concerned about the hard workout you did in the heat--feeling dizzy/light-headed. 1. Why are you doing that kind of exercise? If it is to build strength or aerobic improvement, that's one thing, but if you are doing it to lose weight, you might as well stay home and watch a movie. Exercise does NOT CONTRIBUTE TO WEIGHT LOSS! It builds muscle, but seriously, has nothing to do with weight-loss. I can't think of any good reason to do that kind of work-out in that kind of heat. The old "calories in/calories out” preaching is wrong. It may make logical sense, but the honest research shows it doesn't work that way. 2. You may be low on SALT or other minerals. Low salt is often a culprit when on keto and/or fasting.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  13. meggersjm

meggersjm bunny ears, bunny ears, playing by a tree

Wish me luck on Saturday!

Saturday's Goal: to eat sensibly, no drinking, at the town festival, which is focusing on sweet corn and beer. It will be a very social event, so the challenge here is to do it without offending anyone. I have already strictly warned my hubby that I am not participating in any beer drinking. I don't like beer anyway, but it is usually brought to me. I will be selling beer tickets, which I am not a fan of for several reasons. However since my social group is putting it on, they have been begging me to do it for weeks now. I wish I would have held strong. I am already doing fire department stuff (parade, waterball, etc) and I am coordinating a touch a truck event in the morning. Gah that was a brain dump! - I guess that is where my stress eating comes from! Not gonna let it happen this weekend!!

jenn mccabe and SharLamb like this.
  14. meggersjm

I was going to say too @jenn mccabe, that you need to make sure your body is ready for that sort of exercise.
    I mowed the lawn for a total of 45 minutes yesterday and it wiped me for the afternoon. Not because I'm THAT out of shape, but because I feel like my minerals are still out of whack and my body is still healing and adjusting to the ketoish diet. I ended up with a terrible headache!

When fasting, I break the fast when I feel light headed and weird, and if pink salt water does not help. I just feel like my body is asking for more than what I am giving it. But I'm NOT giving it any carbs!!

jenn mccabe and SharLamb like this.
  15. meggersjm

ha, missed this. Love avocados too! They should just call it the avocado and bacon diet!

16. jenn mccabe

Yeah, so true! :) I totally forgot about that part and it was the hottest part of the day, but the only time my hubby could catch a break. I use the MiO in my water bc it has a shot of sodium in it. I alternate a 24 oz bottle of regular water with a 24 oz MiO water to stay on top of my minerals... and do take my supplements to keep my electrolytes up.

Will deftly be a bit smarter next time - I can handle it when it is not blazing sun. :eek:

17. jenn mccabe

I have a party Sat ... let's give each other strength to get through this weekend!!! [​IMG]

18. SharLamb

Best salad I've ever eaten: sliced avocado with sliced heirloom tomato, topped with a drizzle of creamy italian dressing. Operative word: HEIRLOOM! I don't even bother with the tasteless, watery red things the grocery stores are trying to pass off as tomatoes! LOL

19. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

You y'all are doing so good! (said with my best Southern accent - ha). Keep it up!!

@meggersjm - Sounds like you are going to be really busy - that will distract you. Tell them you need water to beat the heat and stay hydrated so you can work. Have fun -- you can do it!

Down 1 more pound. Water - check, no eating after 8pm - check, 10,000 steps a day - not so much... But hey, a pound is a pound I won't see again. I am also listening to my body and trying to only eat if I am hungry. I was one of those eaters out of boredom people...

Next week goal - continue on and give up the sweets... baby steps
    Beginning Aug 17 - no chips or other chip like snacks in the house (salty is my weakness)

MrsEm likes this.
  20. AnneofAlamo

yesterday was a total cheat day...and oh so fun! lol
    but back on treadmill today.....felt good to sweat!
    I am hitting the pool in a few minutes...and then a big salad and avocado!! woot

Gonna be a great weekend of organizing with my baby boy. Him and I are rearranging his room tomorrow. Then swimming together! Should be fun. Gonna make some zucchini bread with him too!

BevG and MrsEm like this.