August 2018 Book Club - The Great Alone

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Lucky you Michele! I'm STILL waiting for my copy...

michelepixels likes this.
  2. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Soooo I just got myself a membership at my library and put this book on hold! It wasn't available in my city, but it was somewhere else in the province. Now it's waiting time. Hopefully (but probably not) it will arrive tomorrow or saturday because I will leave for a vacation to France on Monday morning. I already put a lot of books on my ereader so I'm good anyway, but it would be nice to be able to read along with you. I like the premise of this book!

bellbird and Karen like this.
  3. Karen

I'm finally going to start this one tonight! At least it's sorta in the same month... although we'll see how long it takes me to read it! I've been reading at the pace of a snail lately.

bellbird likes this.
  4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I finished! I'm exhausted. What a heart-wrenching story! I did love learning about life in Alaska and a little bit more about the time period in which I was born. (I was born in '71.)

I read a review on Goodreads that said the end was too rushed. I don't know that that was a problem, but it was kind of jarring. I also wondered if the book was based on a true story, so I was especially interested in the acknowledgements section. She does seem to have had some ties in Alaska. Less dramatic ones though, thankfully.

bellbird, Karen and MrsEm like this.
  5. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

Ugh. Guys. This one was so tough. White: I really struggled with being mad at basically every character in this book at one point or another because I was like NO, DON'T DO THAT STUPID THING immediately before they proceeded to do stupid thing. :banghead

The domestic violence also hit so close to home and I got so mad at Cora and Leni and everyone in the whole Bush that didn't shoot that man. I had a hard time accepting that the only time Leni finally decided to do the smart thing was when she stopped calling to check on Matthew when all her stupid mistakes prior were what lead them to their sad situation, but as a mother I guess I understand the mountains we will move to protect our children.

I almost threw the book when Matthew tried to climb down the crevasse instead of running to get help. :rollingpin

Okay I know that all sounds bad but I actually did love the book for it's beautiful storytelling and I ended up giving it five stars. I also ugly cried, so there's that.

6. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I just finished this last night. I really enjoyed it. I agree this one is heart wrenching and such an emotional drain but I learned a lot about a place I knew little of and enjoyed the narrative very much. I would love to see this one as a series or a film (not that movies are better than the books, they almost never are - but I think this could make for a great screenplay.) The ending had me in tears at times.

7. michelepixels

Yes, Matthew and crevasse is probably the point at which I hated the story the most.

I might watch it as a movie, but I'm such a visual person and hate to watch violence. The images would stick in my mind too much.

MrsEm, bellbird and Karen like this.
  8. jenn mccabe

See now - I felt the opposite. I felt he 100% had to go down there after what happened to his mom. There was no other way. The whole story was tragic so I expected nothing but that climb down to save Leni. (end).

9. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I just got this in her newsletter!!! :beat

"I know what else you want to know. Movie news. Ha ha!! I am THRILLED to share the hot-off-the-press news that Black List screenwriter Julia Cox (“Do No Harm” and “The Takeaway”), is set to adapt The Great Alone for TriStar! Woo hoo!! I was lucky to have a meeting with Julia, and she is going to do a great job. In fact, she's on her way to Alaska to do research. I hope to have casting news on The Nightingale soon, and speaking of The Nightingale, here’s a photo of me at the so-cool movie party at Chateau Marmont. You’ll notice the number of women in this photo; we are so proud of the powerful women behind this project. A female director, producer, studio head and writer. What could be better for a movie about incredible women facing extraordinary odds? Pretty awesome, huh?"

MrsEm, bellbird, Karen and 3 others like this.
  10. michelepixels

Yeah, I wasn't surprised. But I still hated it.

11. jenn mccabe

Yes, that is so awesome. My daughter is an aspiring film "something" - she's not sure what but she definitely wants to go to college for something film, TV, screen writing related ... she wants to see more woman empowered in hollywood and indies - the industry is long overdue! This makes my heart happy, TFS!

bellbird, Karen and amien1 like this.
  12. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

So I just picked my copy up from the library along with Septembers book. I am not sure how fast I will be able to read though. (I'm so used to ebooks by now, this actual physical book seems HUGE!)
    But I am very excited for it. I haven't read the spoilers, but I like that so many of you seems to feel feels, either positive or negative.

13. Karen

my opinion in white>>> No, I don't think he did appear there. I agree though that did seem confusing to me too.

bellbird likes this.
  14. Karen

So I finished this one last night about TWO HOURS past my bedtime. Whoops... but that is a testament to much much I loved this book and couldn't put it down. (spoilers in white)>>>> I did have to keep reminding myself sometimes that it wasn't set in present day, but almost forty years ago at the beginning and that helped make it more realistic for Leni and Cora's silence and endurance rather than reporting SO much abuse. I LOVED Matthew and Leni's storyline and that it wasn't all roses and sunshine, but that they ended up together in the end. I too loved that he wasn't miraculousy all better at the end. That he was better, but not perfect by any means and that she didn't care and still loved him.

I was worried that the story was going to end abrubtly after Cora shot Ernt and that I wouldn't know what happened after that (I read an ebook, so I kept having to check how many pages were left). I liked how much time was spent after that showing them running back to Cora's parents and how that relationship changed and that they all learned from their past mistakes. I could kinda see Cora dying coming and I knew she was going to try to clear Leni's way back to Alaska, but I honestly didn't see the sheriff or police chief tricking her into confessing until he told her to write it down. I wasn't sure how that was going to end and while it was probably not realistic, I love that it wasn't drawn out into a trial and that she got to go back and see Matthew.

Did anyone else think that Mr. Walker was taking her to see Matthew's grave until they came to the wheelchair ramp? I was dying a bit during that.
    (end spoilers)

MrsEm, bellbird and jenn mccabe like this.
  15. michelepixels

I didn't see any of those things coming that you mention @Karen And your last idea, yikes! Glad that wasn't the case! I was already so shocked by what she endured already.

Karen likes this.
  16. jenn mccabe

Yes, @Karen regarding - you're last sentence about Mr Walker - I totally thought that too. So happy that was not how it ended! spoilers: Random thought: I did not think Cora would be the one to kill Ernt - thought Leni or a neighbor but not Cora. (end)

MrsEm likes this.
  17. Karen

Yes me too Jenn! (white) TOTALLY though it would have been Large Marge or even Matthew somehow (end)

jenn mccabe and bellbird like this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i think Large Marge was my fave character in this - for me, it's peripheral characters like that can make or break a story and help it do well as a movie - like what would Harry Potter be like without his BFF's (not that i've read/seen most of it - but like the store owner with no name in Britt Marie was Here, y'know the iconic sidekicks and 'not in the title' characters

Karen, jenn mccabe and MrsEm like this.
  19. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

Also definitely thought that about Mr. Walker. I was just like oh noooo. :cry

Karen likes this.
  20. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

Large Marge was my favorite too! I loved her backstory.

jenn mccabe and bellbird like this.