April Nominations

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by crystalbella77, Mar 8, 2016.

1. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I've read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children some years back in a book club at a different scrapping community. There is a movie from it now and there are two new books. I'd like to read it again. :)

tinkerbell1112 and bonnenuit like this.
  2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Good grief, the Kindle edition is $0.99! I'm buying it just to read, so whether we choose it or not, thanks for the rec! :)

3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

this is on my to read list -is it really spooky? i havent really be brave enough to start it since i got it- i think kids in the horror genre can be really creepy sometimes... but i want to but i think it'll mess with my head and sleep... if i see a movie it might affect me for a night or 2, a book stays with me for weeks...

4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I know @gonewiththewind read it. Maybe she could chime in?

bellbird likes this.
  5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Not creepy, just peculiar. Like think children with unique gifts . . . I mean, there are some creepy beings that are not the peculiar children. I don't know. I found it immensely enjoyable as an adult, but still felt that it was written for the young adult crowd.

bellbird likes this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Just wanted to say Thanks to all of you who've talked about "Miss Peregrine's." I bought it for my 8yo, who is a precocious reader. I was planning to wait until she was 10 to give it to her, but perhaps I'll wait even longer! If y'all enjoyed it, then I'm gonna have to read it for myself (which will also help me gauge when she can read it).

bestcee likes this.
  7. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Ransom Riggs' Peculiar trilogy is wonderful! Definitely YA as the heroes are all teenagers, but every adult that I know that has read them raves about the stories. Excellent writing! Not spooky or horror, but definite 'bad guys' and the children must go through a series of trials in which they rely on each other's peculiar gifts to save themselves and Miss Peregrine.

Tree City likes this.
  8. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

My 11 almost 12 year old wants to read it. We had one of those first three chapter things. But I thought I'd read it first. I do think it's supposed to be more for the tween/teen years

Tree City likes this.
  9. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

great suggestions so far! YAY!

There are pictures in the Miss Peregrines book that freaked me out..but I scare easy haha!

Tree City, bellbird and Karen like this.
  10. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I'd vote for Miss Peregrines

tinkerbell1112 likes this.
  11. Beckybesendorfer

Beckybesendorfer Member

With all your guys talk, I ordered Miss Peregrines. I have a Kindle but I read on the reviews that it is not a good book for the Kindle.

12. HeyJude

HeyJude Professor of Digital Wizardry

I've read the Peculiar trilogy and LOVED it. I'm very excited for the movie to come out - the trailer looks amazing. It's really not any spookier than the Harry Potter series.

Tree City likes this.
  13. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Is that because of the photos? The actual book has photos, which I found myself referring back to as I read.

14. HeyJude

HeyJude Professor of Digital Wizardry

I read it on a Kindle and it was fine.

15. Beckybesendorfer

Beckybesendorfer Member

Yes, it was because of the pictures. I guess it won't hurt me to read a paperback every now and then, but I will admit my Kindle has spoiled me!!

Tree City likes this.
  16. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I know what you mean! My biggest beef with reading a real book is lighting. I'm so spoiled by my Kindle and not having to worry about where I am in relation to a lamp!

bellbird likes this.
  17. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I am not sure where I read this. Maybe it was even in the notes section of the book itself, but the author used to go to flea markets looking for photos. All his characters are based off of these photos he found at flea markets. He even stated that he had thought of a bunch of different characters that he hasn't been able to work into the stories. That was after book one, so maybe he has by now.

I am so happy there are sequals. I read the first book and was very angry with the ending because well it just ended. At least there are sequals now!

18. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I'd love to nominate The Circle by Dave Eggers.

19. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

I am going to start voting thread tomorrow! <3 so last call for nominations!

20. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns