April Book Club: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by berniek, Apr 3, 2016.

1. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I'm so excited to find out one of my favourite books was chosen for this months book club! I just went and made a thread for all of us to start talking. :)

[​IMG]
    As always, keep spoilers until halfway through the month so that everyone can come in this thread and share. If you post spoilers, make sure it's big and bright and clear so people can choose to read it or not.

Enjoy this weird book and tell me what you think!
    I'm going to reread it starting... now!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  2. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I haven't started it yet. I am trying to finish a book already in progress first, but I downloaded it and I'm ready to go..

3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

interesting.. saw the previews with the movie.. I am thinking about getting it to read.

4. gillscott

gillscott Waldo's just my alias

will pick this up monday, can't wait to start!

5. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

Will you guys tell me if it's scary...or like startling? I don't like to be scared or creeped out lol Let me know before I start it haha

Lindzee and enjoyyourpix like this.
  6. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Just started it, so far pleasantly surprised.

bellbird likes this.
  7. berniek

It can be a bit weird and creepy more then scary. In the beginning (I think chapter 2?) the main character talks about some scary nightmares. I'm at chapter 4 now, and all chapters have ended with a cliff hanger that might give you creepy feelings if it's the last thing you read before bed. But personally I think it's way less scary then you might think. If you read it during the day, you're probably going to be just fine.

crystalbella77 likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I haven't kept up much here because I don't get to read a lot during the school year...just not enough time in the day with everything going on, so I binge read in the summer lol. But I LOVE this book. I read it about 3 years ago and am getting ready to start the 3rd book in the series as soon as I have the chance!

9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I've already read this book twice! LOL I read it and then re-read it when I read the second one.

I'm interested to see what y'all think . . . I loved it!

bellbird likes this.
  10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'm going to go see where I can get it! Sounds cool!

11. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I put mine on hold at my library. 5th in line, so I have a wait.

bellbird likes this.
  12. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

I should get my library copy soon as well. There were only 7 in front of me last week and lots of copies throughout all our inter libraries

13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I picked this up from the library on Thursday, but haven't started it yet. I picked up an actual paper book this time too since some of you said it was better to read it with the pictures handy.

Lindzee, bellbird and enjoyyourpix like this.
  14. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

oh yay! got my notice that it's available for me at the library :) Gotta head there after work tomorrow!

bellbird likes this.
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

SO I'll start with some non-spoiler-ish talk... I was quite surprised that I enjoyed it for the most part - there were some creepy-ish bits like @berniek mentioned above, but most books have an equivalent to a bad guy/s. That said the only thing stopping me giving this to my 10 1/2y.o. book-devouring DD now, is I am pretty sure there was a reference made to a certain man in a red suit ... , i can't remember which chapter but it was early on. I hate when that happens or that a bunch of swearing gets in the way of a story otherwise suitable to share with her. But of course, I can't find it now going back thru, can anyone confirm?

16. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I got my copy from the library today. Will start soon!

17. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I just started and am making slow progress without a lot of time to read.. I've just finished the first chapter and haven't heard mention of the red suit guy *wink* but I'll keep an eye out going forward.. ;)

18. berniek

Yes I think you're right, I'm gonna go check it back.
    Now this might be an unpopulair comment, but aren't 10 year olds done with believing in that certain man? I'm not a mom and in my country we don't believe in that man, but we do have Sinterklaas, which is an equivalent and kids are kind of expected to know the truth about him at around age 9.

19. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

Ooooh, I got the book! For some reason if I access the 3M library directly from my Nook, I somehow bypass the other hold list on the main library web site. I feel a little guilty about it, as it has happened several times for me.

20. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I'm not finding it scary. I finished the first book and I am now about half way through the second. It's definitely written to a more adolescent audience, but I do find the pictures disturbing in a disturbing sort of way. Even the innocuous pics of seemingly normal people just standing, the lighting and the black and white is unnerving.