April 2018 Book Club - Britt Marie Was Here

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Dec 21, 2017.

1. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

I listened to this one and really enjoyed it! I like how Backman's stories (so far I've read Ove and this one) highlight how people change people in a reciprocal way. A few more thoughts: I also was not a fan of Kent and just wanted her to tell him to bug off BUT, I am sure, as Maureen mentioned, that it would be very hard for Britt-Marie to do that after 40 years! I was glad that B-M finally admitted that she loved Sven though, towards the end. I thought there were a lot of highlight-able quotes in this book too, and a couple of my favorites were:
    “She wonders how much space a person has left in her soul to change herself, once she gets older. What people does she still have to meet, what will they see in her, and what will they make her see in herself?"

“My mother worked for the social services all her life. She always said that in the middle of all the crap, in the thick of it all, you always had a sunny story turning up. Which makes it all worthwhile.' The next words that come are smiling. 'You're my sunny story, Britt-Marie.”

Karen likes this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I had requested the audiobook from the library and when I got it I was too busy with other things and the loan expired before I got a chance to read it. I did read a chapter or two though, and it didn't hook me, so I don't know, maybe being busy wasn't the only problem.

Karen likes this.
  3. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

So better late than never- but it seriously took me FOREVER to finish this one- like I started reading it the beginning of July- then read a few others in between! I don't know why I just couldn't get into the story. Man called ove was on my list- but now after reading this one I'm not so sure. :/

Karen likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

So if you didn't love this one, I'd say skip A Man Called Ove. I did like them both, but Ove took me until the very last 1/8 of the book to appreciate it and actually like it and I didn't feel that way about Britt-Marie... that one was easier for me to get into.

amien1 likes this.