Anyone ever try to make the Harry Potter Butter Beer?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Jan 1, 2020.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

We were lucky enough to go to Universal Studios Hollywood the other day over our Christmas vacation, and I had some of the yummy frozen Butter Beer. Oh, goodness that was good! I've tried looking online for recipes, and there are as many recipes out there as there are posts about it. So I thought I'd check with y'all to see if anyone has successfully made it.

I did read an article on Huffington Post about its creation, but that the ingredients are a secret (naturally!). I thought that once I have a working kitchen I'd try some, especially if it was dairy free.

KarenB likes this.
  2. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

I've made a version of butter beer that is ice cream, cream soda and butterscotch all mixed up in the blender, and of course, not dairy free. It's so sweet you can only handle a little bit. But my nieces and nephew request it at Christmas!

cfile and QuiltyMom like this.
  3. QuiltyMom

It's amazing just how many varieties there are out there! I did see this one, but only in my dreams... :-)

4. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

cream soda, butterscotch "syrup"?, and whipped cream is how our library makes it at Harry Potter parties, and I used that same recipe for my sister's wizard themed baby shower about 18 months ago.

the butterscotch syrup stuff I can't remember if it is dairy free. But they do make dairy free whipped cream. I need to get these ingredients so my daughter can try it... because I totally forgot until just this minute typing it that we have dairy free whipped cream in the freezer left over from thanksgiving pies!

I've done the secret menu at starbucks before (something I googled online a loooooooong time ago)... pretty sure it had toffee nut in it with some other stuff.

@cfile is a huge HP fan and has been. She may be able to give another recipe!

5. QuiltyMom

6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I have a recipe that calls for imitation butter flavor. But Walmart was out! So, I haven't tried it yet. The other ingredients are cream soda and ice cream. I think there is dairy free ice cream though right? Coconut milk ice cream? Hmm...I wonder if you could use a bunch of ice and something non-dairy for the cream flavor....

QuiltyMom likes this.
  7. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I have made it two different ways.. one is with cream soda and butterscotch syrup, but the have a butterscotch soda that I have used. I will have to dig up my info and post it Jan. I know I have made a page. I will have to dig later for you :)

ps:
    Made with Flying Cauldron Butterscotch Soda:
    [​IMG]
    made using cream soda butter rum extract and a condensed milk topping
    [​IMG]

This is one I did make prior to the above experiments:
    Ingredients
    • 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
    • 1/4 cup butterscotch topping
    • 2 tablespoons whipped butter, room temperature
    • 1 1/2 cups vanilla cream soda
    Directions
    Combine condensed milk, butterscotch topping, and butter in a glass heatproof measuring cup. Heat in microwave for 1 minute. Remove and stir until butter has melted and incorporated into mixture. Meanwhile heat cream soda in another heatproof measuring cup for 1 minute 30 seconds.
    Divide butterscotch mixture between 2 (10 to 12-ounce) mugs. Fill mugs with heated cream soda and stir thoroughly. Serve garnished with an old-fashioned butterscotch candy stick.

and a cold version:
    Recipe: Butterbeer (from Fox News)
    • 1 cup light or dark brown sugar
    • 2 tablespoons water
    • 6 tablespoon butter
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
    • 3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
    • 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
    • Four 12-ounce bottles cream soda
    1. In a small saucepan over medium, combine the brown sugar and water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring often, until the mixture reads 240 F on a candy thermometer.
    2. Stir in the butter, salt, vinegar and 1/4 heavy cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
    3. Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the rum extract.
    4. In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture and the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Use an electric mixer to beat until just thickened, but not completely whipped, about 2 to 3 minutes.
    5. To serve, divide the brown sugar mixture between 4 tall glasses (about 1/4 cup for each glass). Add 1/4 cup of cream soda to each glass, then stir to combine. Fill each glass nearly to the top with additional cream soda, then spoon the whipped topping over each.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    QuiltyMom likes this.
  8. cfile

Jan, You may want to google where you can get it near you. Sometimes you can get it at a book store or places that have HP displays like Books a Million or Barnes & Noble.

When we have the Butterscotch soda, we just pour that over Vanilla Ice Cream and make like a float.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    QuiltyMom likes this.
  9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

omg...I'd never heard of this and when I read the title of the post, I almost gagged. 'Real' beer + butter = ugh and made me think of the yak tea with (often) rancid butter.

As you can tell, my experience with Harry Patter is limited! I do think dh would like the float though

QuiltyMom and cfile like this.
  10. cfile

ha ha Maureen you make me giggle.. It is actually quite good.. the one at Universal in Orlando at the HP Park you can get it cold, get it like a slush and in the winter can get it hot.. also they have butterbeer ice cream that is done in a swirl.. very good.. I went to HP Warner Bros. Studios right outside of London and if you never had the one at Universal you would like it, however, it is not comparible to what you can get at the park in Florida. I assume the Universal park in Cali would be the same as Florida.

I like it with the Butterscotch soda as a float over homemade vanilla ice cream. It is a big thing in the HP books as are other normal English desserts and foods like Treacle Tarts, Cornish Pastys etc.

Butter+beer to the normal "muggle" (non Harry Potter magical people aka normal civilians lol) would sound yuk so I agree there! Happy New Year my friend!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  11. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@cookingmylife I'M RIGHT THERE WITH YA! haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I drank beer once when in High School to try to "fit in". I hated the taste.
    [​IMG]
    Tasted another about 5 years ago at International Festival. It was Irish beer, so I thought it might taste different, even if I had no intention of making it a part of my life. I just don't like beer at all!! Not an HP follower so I hadn't heard of it either. Having read this thread now, though, I am still not tempted. Tummy is too sensitive after gall bladder removal so it wouldn't be worth that sick feeling! But y'all can go on and have a go with this!

12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

When I read the HP books I always wondered what Butter Beer tasted like and I've never been to any of theme parks to try it... cream soda with butterscotch flavor sounds pretty good though... I might have to try these with my kids. I think they'd love it!

13. QuiltyMom

I had the frozen one because there wasn't any carbonation (something I'm not supposed to have). I'll try letting the soda go flat before making and see how that works.

Courtney, I do have some imitation butter flavor (as well as imitation cream cheese flavor...). I use it with my vegan butter when cooking to boost the butter flavor. So, I have that part! And I can try it with coconut milk ice cream. Thankfully I LOVE coconut, so I won't mind the flavor difference.
    Oh, Thank you, Christa!!!!! I'm going to experiment with these and see if I can find suitable substitutions.
    I'm going to have to look for this.
    I've never really been into the HP books and such, but going to the Wizarding World pushed me over the edge into fandom! DH & I both bought wands (he Dumbledore and I got Queenie Goldenstein). His was the interactive one so I had fun going around and doing the magic spots. Now I'm tempted to visit Universal Orlando to see what it's like.

Karen and cfile like this.
  14. Susan - s3js

Susan - s3js Well-Known Member

If you have Kindle Unlimited they have a Harry Potter cookbook on there. My grown kids like the recipes.

QuiltyMom, cfile and bestcee like this.
  15. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

I made an alcoholic kind in college. It was pretty good. ;)

bestcee and QuiltyMom like this.
  16. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Why yes, I CAN help you get to Disney!

We went to Universal Studios for the 1st time in Nov! We tried a regular and a frozen butterbeer. They were good, but I don't know that I would want to sample the "bad" recipes while trying to come up with a good one! There were M&M's a couple years ago that apparently tasted like it. It might be fun to try. I bet I could use my girls as guinea pigs to try some! :) Let us know if you find a recipe you like! (and one that's easy)

QuiltyMom likes this.
  17. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I have had some bad versions of it that people made. Love the "real" stuff at Universal Studios. I am thinking you just need another trip there...

QuiltyMom likes this.
  18. QuiltyMom

YES!!! But to Orlando this time. It may have to be a girl-only trip because my DH has used up all his vacation this year with scouting events...

BevG and cfile like this.