All the feels! Crazy 24 hours. UGH.

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jenn mccabe, Aug 7, 2018.

1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Thank you all so much. Still no phone call - never came. Now I wait for the first letter in a few weeks (thank goodness for snail mail - my postal carrier may soon fear me from stalking her!) and I just hope he gets through these 13 weeks successfully (no injuries, no setbacks, and that he stays strong)!

Christina W likes this.
  2. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

That is too much for a couple of days! Wow! Hope you are feeling a little bit better. A mother's heart is so fragile sometimes. I remember dropping my daughter off at college---so hard!!!! Gratefully, they come back and often and often come back to live for awhile. It's wonderful to love somebody that much. Hard to have your baby get in a car wreck too.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  3. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

Jenn- I will be in your shoes just after the new year- my son enlisted a couple of weeks ago but the Air National Guard/Air Force is waiting to send him to basic until a slot opens up in the cyber security school (his rating). So, he had his first guard drill last weekend and that was so strange- knowing that he was 3 hours away but not sure what he was doing and how it was going. Yesterday, he paid for his first semester of community college and I had him go by himself (he asked a lot of questions!) to the bank to transfer funds from his savings to his checking account, then to the school to make the payment. He has also taken a few day trips out of state this summer to different destinations and I have been trying to step back each time. Learning to parent an adult (even a young one such as our boys) is such a bittersweet experience. Anyway, thanks for sharing your heart during this time and I will be thinking of/praying for you, your son and the rest of your family. Plus, I am so glad your daughter was ok in her accident and thankful for the kind Samaritan who stopped and stayed with her!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  4. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

@KayTeaPea "Learning to parent an adult (even a young one such as our boys) is such a bittersweet experience."
    So true and it doesn't go away as you and they grow older.

Jenn, hugs to you!

jenn mccabe and KayTeaPea like this.
  5. Katherine B

Katherine B 2, 4, 6, 8, who do we appreciate?!

Oh, Jenn ... my heart. Praying for peace for your beautiful heart.

P.S. I soo appreciate the sacrifice that your son has made on my behalf, and on behalf of every man, woman, boy and girl in our great country. HUGE heartfelt thanks to him. And to you and your husband, too, for raising a man such as he that he would give so selflessly of himself.

BUNCHES of hugs to you, sweet friend.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  6. jenn mccabe

My son enlisted a year early and was a poolee that entire time - the first time they take them for an overnight, it is very weird. I remember exactly what you felt! He did monthly things with other local recruiting stations too. He also spent some time on trips with friends on adventures (including out of state) as well. I thought I was more prepared for this - I had no idea how hard it would hit me. The technology we have today and them being completely off the grid makes it hard to adjust. We are so used to instant gratification/notification from family/friends/etc. It's hard to have that cut off cold turkey!

The best thing I did since he left has been to join a FB group. It's run by parents who have been through it. They walk us through everything and it really helps connecting with those that are going through the exact same thing. Find one if you can when your son goes next year.

I think it's awesome that you are teaching him to do these things himself. Letting go and "parenting an adult" as you say, is so bittersweet and emotional. I will hold your son and family in my heart Kelly. Reach out to me if you need to talk ever. :beat

KayTeaPea likes this.
  7. jenn mccabe

So wonderful to hear from you @Katherine B - I've missed you! :beat Thank you for those words. Means a lot to me.

I have to admit though, I do think it was all him - not his Dad nor I. This is just who he is through and through!

Katherine B likes this.
  8. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

What an emotional coaster you rode! I think your good deed with that young girl was repaid by the woman helping your daughter. So glad everything fell into place for you.

jenn mccabe likes this.