Affinity Tutorial: Using png Photo Masks

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Angela Toucan, May 17, 2023.

1. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I scrapbook with the Affinity Suite, and have put a little tutorial together on how use a png Photo Mask or Blending Mask in Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher. The steps are the same in all 3 programs. I am going to be using Affinity Publisher in this example.

For this tutorial I have used the Catching Waves Photo Masks by A Whimsical Adventure, part of the Catching Waves Collection that is 50% off today (17th May 2023) for the SOSN sale.

1. Place your photo onto the page.
    2. Duplicate your photo layer by right clicking on the layer icon in the layers panel and choosing duplicate. Turn of the visibility of the duplicate photo layer. We will use this later.
    3. Place your photomask onto the page above the photo. (I'm using mask 2)
    4. Adjust the opacity of the mask so you can see the photo through it - this is a temporary thing we will undo this later. It makes getting the positioning of the photo mask easier.
    PhotoMask1 (Custom).jpg
    5. Resize, rotate and position the mask as needed to cover the part of the photo you want to see.
    6. Return the opacity of the photo mask to 100%.
    7. Right click on the photo mask layer's icon in the layers panel and chose mask to below.
    PhotoMask2 (Custom).jpg
    8. If you are not totally happy with the positioning, then right click on the photo mask layer's icon in the layers panel and chose release. Then repeat steps 5 & 7.
    PhotoMask3 (Custom).jpg
    9. Now I want the face part of my photo to be clearer. For this we will use that 2nd copy of the photo.
    10. Place a photo mask (can be the same one of a different one for the same set) on the page and resize and position it to cover only the face area. (I've chosen to use mask 4)
    PhotoMask4 (Custom).jpg
    11. Turn the duplicate photo layer visibility back on, and move the layer under the new mask, but above the previously masked photo.
    PhotoMask5 (Custom).jpg
    12. Right click on the photo mask layer's icon in the layers panel and chose mask to below.
    13. Adjust the opacity of this layer if you need to.
    PhotoMask6 (Custom).jpg
    14. Group the two masked photos so if you move them later they stay together. Select them both in the layers panel, rightclick, group.

My finished layout uses
    Catching Waves Photo Masks by A Whimsical Adventure
    Catching Waves Gradient Papers by A Whimsical Adventure
    Catching Waves Embelishments by A Whimsical Adventure

[​IMG]

CathQuillScrap and cfile like this.
  2. Angela Toucan

gonewiththewind likes this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thank you for sharing and writing up these Affinity Tutorials, Angela :)

Angela Toucan likes this.
  4. jam-on-toast

jam-on-toast Well-Known Member

This is great! I often need to make a part of the mask more visible...

5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Added! Thank you so much!

6. Ladybug57

Ladybug57 New Member

I am using affinity photo 2 for the iPad and there is not an option for mask below… will it not work on iPad?

7. Angela Toucan

I'm not sure as I don't have ipad. I'll check with the Affinity community and see if someone there can help.

In the meantime, in-case you need this for an MOC page. This tutorial shows masking with abr files. Some designers have their masks in both abr and png format.
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threa...stalling-and-stamping-with-abr-brushes.90350/

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
  8. Ladybug57

Ladybug57 New Member

Thank you so much... looking forward to learning a lot from you and your tutorials :)

Karen and Angela Toucan like this.
  9. Angela Toucan

@Ladybug57
    The response I've had from an Affinity Expert is:
    "I can confirm that Affinity on iPad doesn't have a direct menu option for 'Mask to Below' - however this can be achieved by manually moving the required layer.
    For step 7 in your instructions, you would instead tap and drag the Mask layer over the thumbnail of the Image layer below."

Make sure you drag it directly over the thumbnail icon (not to the right of the icon)

10. Ladybug57

Ladybug57 New Member

I thought I had tried that several times and it just added the black mask onto my photo. I will try again tonight when I get home. Thank you so much Angela.... I really do appreciate you :agree

11. Ladybug57

Ladybug57 New Member

I did it!!! Here is what I came up with, all created with Affinity Photo on my iPad…. Can’t wait to do more :)

Attached Files:

12. Angela Toucan

well done. Beautiful page.