Addiction

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by enjoyyourpix, Dec 7, 2016.

1. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

Hi, my name is Kimberly, and I have a problem. I buy hard drives. A lot of them. I just bought another 2T EHD at Costco the other day. A month or so ago I bought a 5T one. Right now, on my desk I have 5 drives. Not to mention the 3T internal drive on my computer.

What about you? What's your hard drive status, or what are you addicted to?
    • I have an old Time Machine drive. And the 5T is a new one.
    • I have an EHD that backed up my older photos. I want to copy those to a new drive in case that drive breaks.
    • I have 2 scrapbook content drives. One is getting full and is giving me a weird vibe and the other is a couple years old so I think it's time to bring a new one into the mix (hence the new drive) and retire the older one ...
    • In the cabinet, there are other older ones that that have been retired but I can't, of course, throw them away.
    Ugh!!!

scrapsandsass and bestcee like this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

:giggle
    I have 3 EHDs on my desk but only one is really mine.
    1. less than a year old 5 Tb WD My Book that holds everything I ever save (currently contains 3 Tb of data)
    2. my old 3 Tb WD My Book that was replaced by the 5Tb drive and now holds anything my family wants to save when they use my computer
    3. a small 1 Tb WD My Passport that holds some of my husband's work so it can be backed up with my Backblaze account

Someday I want to have a system that duplicates my data here at home, so I'll have more EHD space then. Right now I just back up to Backblaze and Smugmug and only have a single copy of my data at home.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  3. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

my addiction is just buying more and more supplies. I really need to stop! I could never possibly use everything I ever own, and I own something for every picture I'd ever want to scrap... but dangit if it all isn't so pretty!

I have a 500GB EHD that contains all photos and scrap supplies.
    We have a 2TB EHD that is the backup of all photos and scrap supplies, but also the place where all our home things are stored. the computer itself has a 1TB internal drive, which I try not to use, hardly at all - because eventually I plan to have a laptop again, and moving an EHD is way easier.
    I also try to remember to get scrap layouts uploaded to Flickr (free storage), Amazon (free storage for Prime), Scrapping Simply (because I print through them), and Shutterfly (because some day I plan to be READY for the free book offer codes).
    the majority of my photos are on the two EHDs, and also Google photos - I'm slowly working to get them all to Google and to Amazon. Theoretically, my scrap supplies can be placed in Amazon storage, too. If that is the case I would use that to be able to switch between my computer and my laptop without issue (when I get one) :D

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I only have one external and backup to Backblaze. I am always pulled in by sales on EHDs though! LOL I want them and then think, you don't NEED it!

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  5. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

I have 5 EHD's on my desk now as I am a photographer and really do need to spend some time deleting photos from earlier years. All my digi supplies are on ehd. Really I'd just love 2-20TB drives but guess will have to wait for this.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I have 3 on my desk right now. The first one (500 GB) has all my photos and scrap layouts up to 2014, I think, and it's full. I have a 1 TB drive that has everything since the first one filled up. Then I have a 3 TB that has copies of everything on it plus my scrapping supplies. My phone backs up photos to Google and I hope to get some of my photos uploaded to Amazon over Christmas break. I need to back up my scrapping supplies in at least one other place for my own piece of mind. After going through a drive failure or two, having stuff in one place makes me super nervous.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  7. MrsGaramer

MrsGaramer Using my imagination

I'm currently living on the edge and have no external hard drive back up but I have most things saved on old school flash drives and I've been moving my pictures (SLOWLY as I have a ton) to Amazon Photo.

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My name is Courtney, and I have the same problem.

1. I have a 3Tb hard drive that I call the file cabinet. Files go here to die, as well as be a redundancy of what is at the house.
    2. I have a 2 Tb drive that I keep my supplies and photos on. It's used constantly, so I don't trust it to last too long. It's how I keep my laptop hard drive pretty clean.
    3. I have a 1.5 tb hard drive and a 500 GB hard drive sitting on my desk. The 2Tb has all the digi stuff I bought from Fall of 2013 until Christmas 2015. I need to purge it, and clean it up. Instead, I push it around, promise it I'll get back to it another time, and hide it. The other I think might be empty? We changed out the HD on the PS4 when we bought it, and stuck the one it came with in the case. I don't know if I've used it? Oh! It might have my mom's photo library on it.
    4. We won't talk about the memory cards or online storage. Or the fact that everything is backed up to Backblaze. And I regularly check on it.

I really want to buy a 5TB to replace the 3TB, since it's older and getting pretty full. So, yes. I have a digital storage problem.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Snap! i have 5 too! and they all have a dymo label on them so i know which is which and/or washi tape and they are all plugged in atm - had to buy the 4 in 1 usb port thingy so i could use them all plus plug in my mouse

i'm not brand loyal really - i have 2 Toshiba's and 2 Samsungs and a Free Agent (i think that's Western Digital - but it needs its own power supply uggh)

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I don't think of this as an addiction (she says to make herself feel better) I call my hard drive collection my insurance that I won't lose anything. :) I have about 5 passport EHDs (I only use my newest one regularly), an extra internal HD for backing up to at home and one EHD 3TB at work that I use as my offsite backup.

I keep all my pictures and scrap supplies on my main 2TB passport EHD and back up to 2 other hard drives on Fridays.

I use my old EHDs (that I've replaced when they got full or before they got too old to crash on me) for storing things like old .psd files or for moving big batches of files around.

EHDs are tools... not addictions. :nod

bestcee and enjoyyourpix like this.
  11. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I have about 7 EHD's. One failed and I hope to retrieve at least some of the photos off it b/c I hadn't done a backup of it. But the cost is too much to spend right now. I'll worry about that in the new year. I have two digi EHD's so have a backup if one fails. I tried backblaze last year and had trouble with it. Don't know if I'm going to go with something else next year, haven't figured it out yet. My goal next year is to organize them all b/c some things are in more than one place while other things don't have a backup. When I get my new computer soon, I will have a 5 T internal drive for photos with a copy going to an EHD. Then when they get edited I will send them to smugmug for online storage. I need to be diligent and organized about this. I've lost too many photos over the last 10 yrs from computer crashes and fails, so need to smarten up about this :)

12. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I only have 2 and that is probably not enough. However, I am addicted to content... as she goes off to look at the store which is having a sale today....

13. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

I *could* do one time machine drive and one digi-supply ehd. BUT I get nervous when the drive is a couple years old so I bring in a new one ... it's an illness ...

I have a couple Western Digital but most are Seagate because I tend to buy the drives at Costco and that's what they tend to carry. I label them with my p-touch. Mmmm ... washi tape??? that could be fun!! maybe I could use the silhouette too??? I have a problem ...

14. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I have one.................. BUT know that I really need to buy another soon! Yes, sooner rather than later would be best!

15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

It's OK. We all have addictions when it comes to digi scrapping! LOL

Karen likes this.
  16. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

I have 3 on my desk at the current time as well. Plus I back up everything on 2 different sites online - can you say OCD?

bestcee and enjoyyourpix like this.
  17. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I have 1 2TB drive & Backblaze. For photos, 3 sites. I couldn't handle more than 1. It makes me nervous enough having the one.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  18. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Oh you are my tribe for sure! The week before I left for vacation I backed up all my photos and Digi supplies on a Costco 2T portable but never got round to taking it to my friend for off site storage. Sigh... At home I have

* 4T as my auto back up via Time Machine (hd plus the two below)
    * 2T holding photos and digi supplies
    * 1T all my retired stuff incl prior PL etc by year and the digital odds and ends

I also have my old but fairly newish 3T that stopped working with Time Machine. In 2017 I may see if it can be storage for ...stuff! Lol I really don't need that 1T active which would give me another free port on my iMac.

Karen and enjoyyourpix like this.
  19. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

i have four but three are decommissioned. i have a 8T on my desk. back everything up to crash plan and burn dvd's of my photos.

Karen likes this.
  20. Tronesia

Tronesia Tronesia

Ugh..at least I am not alone! I should let my husband read this thread..lol. I have 4 EHDs - 2 are backups// 2 - I use daily and one set is for my photos only and the other is all else (digital scrapbook kits/ layouts / important files / Photoshop stuff.... etc ..).

Karen and enjoyyourpix like this.