A Guide to Extractions - Summer School Week 1

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by MrsPeel, Jul 3, 2016.

1. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Hello! hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the start of the week! I'm excited to be kicking of our 6 weeks of amazing tutorials, discussion and challenges, sales shopping & prizes!!!! !!!! Learn more about it HERE-

This week's subject are Blending Modes, Using Masks and Brushes to make your pages even more awesome. We have two great video tutorials from our dear Anne of Alamo which you can find HERE for the Blending and HERE for the Brushes.

As one of Anne's tutorial videos has an extraction, I thought I bring here what we learned for out Slow Scrap Chat on the subject, in case you didn't happen to see it and would like to learn more.
    To help you out we also have the whole of the two categories all at 25% OFF this week. In these categories you will find all masks, brushes, overlays, borders, painted elements and more. You can find all Brushes HERE and also the Overlays and Borders category HERE this week-

I love extractions and use them often, but we all know it can be tricky at times with flowing hair or very busy backgrounds, non color contrasts and many other issues one can find. To me, the most important thing is to find a photo where the background is a very different color to your subject, it will always make your life easier.
    Then there are tricks for when the extraction isn't perfect: adding a line to the figure, making it into a sticker, helps a great deal!
    Also, an extraction does not always need to be super clean cut...there are many pages I have done with fun tones, lots of comic book type papers and brushes which will allow you to have a less than perfect extraction: instead of cutting along the lines of the person/figure/thing, you just cut with borders of the background, and then add a line to make it into a super fun sticker!!!!!

First of all here you have some tutorials to help you out in case you would like to have a look:

and a tutorial (though a bit old) from our very own amazing @jk703
    http://thetypativescrapper.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/extractions-sweet-and-simple-basics.html

http://www.digitalscrapbookinghq.com/use-masks-photoshop-elements/

Here is a video for Craft Artist Professional for those of you who use it!

I hope these proves as useful to all of you as it did for us last week!

Let us know if we can help you with anything else!

mirjam and jenn mccabe like this.
  2. Jana_2worldsart

Jana_2worldsart Well-Known Member

3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Great tutorials! Thanks, Cynthia :)

MrsPeel likes this.
  4. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

thanks for the tuts

MrsPeel likes this.
  5. yellowpeep

yellowpeep Spaaaarrrrrkkkleeeee

FanSUPERtastic!!! Great tutorial. Thanks!

MrsPeel likes this.
  6. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

@MrsPeel ,Thanks for the links. Also thanks for advice during last weeks chat. I did find that some of the problem with CA "squaring" the edges of ,went away when I changed to vector based bitmap, instead of Alpha edged, which is what mine was set at. So for that alone the tut was worth it :yup Now of to play :compcoffee

MrsPeel likes this.
  7. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Thanks girls!!!!

oh I'm so glad Vivi!!!! I couldn't find anything on Craft Artist 1 (which is what we are all using if am not mistaken? @Kate W also? there is stuff in some of the tutorials that CA2 does (like the transparency can be changed to radial instead of linear) that CA1 doesn't do :( I may change slowly ro the 2 as they sent me an offer and I bought it again for £5 so it ll be worth to have in the new computer :)

8. Kate W

Kate W And justice for all ...

I'm using ca2, I never had the first one! Thanks for the tutorial, I'll check it out soon, I promise! July is already whizzing away from me, I've only just got round to unzipping m BYOC files :) :) Not had a chance to play yet!!

9. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

@MrsPeel @Kate W , Joanna ,sorry can't spell your forum name so can't tag you... and anyone else here that uses CA. a,New update that is,supposed to have fixed,all the,annoying glitches for CA2 is out. I too am going to reinstall.

10. Kate W

Kate W And justice for all ...

I haven't really noticed the glitches, they must be on features I don't use much. It is handy not having to load materials when creating a digikit tho!

11. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

12. mirjam

mirjam mirjam

Great tutorials Cynthia!!!