2am in the ER

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by JillW, Oct 15, 2016.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Glad it is working out ok! Are they worried about his sleep apnea? I love going on walks with DH. He works nights too, so I totally understand not getting the time together that you wish you had!

2. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

Yes a little worried about the sleep apnea ... he's had it forever, but it's gotten worse over the past few years. Watching the monitors on him while in the ER was pretty eye opening for me. While he was sleeping and not breathing correctly, his oxygen dropped to minus 80 quite often - a few times even in the low 70's - his heart rate also dropped - in the 50's and 60's - then he'd take a deep breath in and start breathing normal - oxygen would go up to 90 (which is still low) and heart rate would go to 100+. It was crazy!! Because we have different hours - thus sleep different hours - we each have our own bedroom (good thing we've been married long enough - 36 years - that the honeymoon is over! LOL!), so I don't really witness his sleep apnea too often. He has a follow up appointment on November 3 with his primary doctor - I'm sure his sleep apnea will be on the top of the list to discuss!

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

DH has to sleep with a CPAP for his apnea. The sleep study was the worst for him! Maybe if they can fix his apnea, he'll be less tired? I'm glad he has a follow up visit!

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh wow! What a roller coaster ride this thread was. What a scary episode to witness for your husband. I'm so glad I was able to keep reading here and see that he's home and okay. I definitely would expect his Dr. to recommend a CPAP for his apnea... your body needs oxygen!

5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

So glad to hear he is home Jill. Sounds like you two have a nice plan to try to slow down, walk together, find things to enjoy .... and follow-up with the Dr. (My DH's side of the family suffer from sleep apnea too ... so glad you are looking into this more.) {{hugs}}

6. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

My sister and several friends swear by the CPAP for improving their sleep 100% (once you get used to it!).

Your hubby might not want to do this but if necessary, he could ask his doctor for a note stating that he should limit OT. I think his work would have to make reasonable accommodation.

7. chickypow

chickypow All I need is my gun, and my blankie

Oh my goodness! I'm SO glad everything turned out ok! I have a suspicion DH has minor sleep apnea. I've noticed it seems he stops breathing sometimes and he is an AWFUL snorer. He won't admit it though or go see a dr.

I agree with @dawnmarch ....a Dr. note should make them lay off the OT for a bit at least. He needs a rest and to slow down a bit!