2016 Photography CONSTRUCTIVE criticism

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Dec 31, 2015.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I always start a new year with the goal of taking MORE photos and BETTER photos. Who's with me???? So, let's help one another in this thread. If you have a photo that you love but want some advice to take it to the next level on a technical or editing skills basis, please don't hesitate to post. I'm sure there are a lot of others with the same thoughts who will appreciate all the advice.

DISCLAIMER: Please realize that we are first and foremost a scrapbooking site with the purpose of improving our skills for ourselves and our scrapbooks. The purpose here is to ask for and offer constructive criticism. By posting a photo or commenting on anothers' photo, you acknowledge the above statements. You may NOT give or receive negative comments on a personal level. We are all here to help each other =)

2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

3. Lhmcgrady

Lhmcgrady M-I-C ... See ya real soon!

I'm starting from scratch this year. For Christmas I got my first DSLR camera!!!! It seems almost everyone in our extended family owns one, so I have used their photos in the past for scrapping, but anything taken by me has been with my cell phone :( I can't express how excited I am to FINALLY have my own. I look forward to reading this thread along with all of the other photography posts here for some advice.

4. FarrahJobling

Perfect Lisa! Soon you'll be shooting with the best of them =)

Lhmcgrady likes this.
  5. chloe_digiscrap

chloe_digiscrap Well-Known Member

I'm always in when photography's involved! ;)

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I love that you're doing this Farrah! :heartslub

7. wendyjc

wendyjc Hoping to have Kate by the ocean

IMG_5073.JPG I love this picture so much but it is very blown out. I would love some editing help to bring back some of the hightlights and such. I use photoshop CC and Lightroom CC (just not as good with LR).

8. FarrahJobling

What a beautiful shot! @wendyjc Do you open photos in ACR? You can recover some of the highlights and whites (you can also do this in the layers) Another trick I like to use is to make a new layer and take a soft brush at 10-20% opacity and click on a color of her skin that is less blown out and brush over the blown areas...you can do this with a couple of colors to ensure that you still keep the contour of her face.

9. chloe_digiscrap

chloe_digiscrap Well-Known Member

That is indeed a great pic. Do you shoot raw? If so, I'm pretty sure it's salvageable using Farrah's tips!! And even if you don't you could always embrace the brightness and use it to your advantage while scrapping it, for examble with blending or other "artsy" techniques!

FarrahJobling likes this.
  10. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Yeah, the highlights and whites sliders in LR (or ACR. same thing) would be my first thing for sure.

FarrahJobling likes this.