★JEDI MIND TRICKS | How to scrap when you really don't want to!

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by ForeverJoy, Jul 20, 2015.

1. ForeverJoy

ForeverJoy Swimming in the big tank

[​IMG]

It's summer vacation. The days are longer and our "to-do" list is happily shorter than the school year. And you would think I would have so much more time to scrap at this time of year- but I'm going to let you in on a secret: I have actually scrapped less during the summer than during the "crazy busy" times of the year. And here's the ugly part: Lately, I just haven't been able to get the scrap-happy motor running.

It's a weird sort of feeling that goes something like this: I will go through Pinterest or a few of my favorite scrapbooking galleries, get crazy inspired and say to my self- yes! I want to scrap lift that- or use that technique or those color combos.. but them when I try and get my self actually scrapping- I'm like, " Meh. Maybe Ill just do (insert some other activity here) instead." Meh? MEH?? This is not my usual scrappy enthusiasm. And considering I am 3 weeks into July and haven't even wanted to get started on my June project life pages- and there are 4 kit club packs I have yet to even open- my malaise is now being compounded with guilt and that does not make for a happy scrapper.

So what's a girl to do? I took a hard look at what was going on in my creative life and came to the following scrappy Jedi mind tricks: READ MORE ON THE FORVERJOY BLOG HERE

:compcoffee
    [​IMG]

2. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

This cracked me up! Thanks for sharing!

3. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

major LOL!!!

4. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

Yes!! A must read!! Great suggestions!!!

5. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

Great suggestions!!

6. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

I LOVED the graphic for this!!

7. ForeverJoy

8. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Great suggestions. But I only digiscrap. Been trying looking through kits, but my mojo escapes me.

9. ForeverJoy

I think it's really the same process Carilyne- except for the manual manipulation. I may have to write a post dedicated to digi scrapping specifically- but I know for me- when I need to jump start things-I always start with a photo and a story. Then make the rest work for me. I think when you start with deciding on a story you want to tell, even choosing a photo is easier. I also find that a challenge helps me too. For instance, I always do Week in the Life by Ali Edwards. Have the challenge, the prompts, the deadlines gets me thinking about the stories I want to tell- and new ways to tell them. Have you checked out the Memory Motivators thread here at TLP? Lots of cool ideas!

10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

:giggle! Love that graphic. Summer is always slower for scrappign for me because I'm out making my memories. I've learned to not force it and remember that I'll just have that many more fun pages to make when it's cold and yucky outside! :)

11. carilyne

Thanks Renne. This month there are several stories to tell, slightly on the sad side. I can even see the beginnings of a picture, have the monthly challenge they will fit. I think the monumentalness (I made up that word) of these stories has stalled me. Lot of life changing stuff the past few months all coming to a point of story telling because they have been life changing. And finding the right kit? Heavens. Thanks for the ideas and I'm going to go through and try your steps again.

12. ForeverJoy

:yup I know from personal experience that can be a drive drain. After I lost my dad- i dont think I scrapped for months- it seemed so trivial. But then I signed up for an online class- and learning new tricks made me focus on the cerebral side of things.. and then i started with just journaling. Getting some stories down- and then- finally i got back into it. I didnt rush it tho- I have a few posts about gettnig into the groove again on my blog- here's one I wrote that advised to just Stop Scrapbooking - anyway- good luck!

13. carilyne

Thanks Renne. That's a good article. I have been sharing FB posts that speak to me (sometimes to only me) and that has helped -- often they say what I don't have words for. Pinterest as well. I did get a page done last night. It felt good.
    I had a similar time after my mom's death and then a problem with an aunt. I could hardly think. I took a class with Stacy Julian. It was such a simple premise. And it worked. I think that may be a good place to start. Thanks for the idea.