January 2018 Book Club - Stillhouse Lake

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Dec 21, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I know this is silly, but have you asked a librarian? One of my previous libraries, only they could do it on the computer side of my account. I couldn't do it from my side.

bellbird likes this.
  2. lealawson

lealawson Well-Known Member

I've never thought of that. I will definitely ask the next time I go in. Thanks for mentioning that!

bestcee likes this.
  3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

(not reading or looking at the rest of this thread til i'm finished but i started this before MOC ended and i had a giggle at the reference to her mum finding specific products to scrapbook her arrest and newspaper clippings!)Will be back when i finish it - i'm sure the mental images will stay with me for a long time (won't be able to think of underwater gardens the same way again) ...!

londoncuppa, Karen and jk703 like this.
  4. aballen

aballen Don't make me break out the milk

I'm a bit late to the party. I finally got this from my local library, and once I started reading I didn't want to put it down!! I'm usually pretty good at figuring out who's done it, but not so much with this book. I'll have to look for the second book now, :D

5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I finished this book and already started on book 2. What a rollercoaster ride.

londoncuppa, jk703 and Karen like this.
  6. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

picked up book 2 today! Hoping it reads as quickly as book 1. Though I have another short 100 page book I need to plow through first :)

7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

if my library has even one copy of the book, i'm amazed - i'm happy for you but i'd expect 25 here to be a typo LOL!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

ok so since i've had time to digest this (although i haven't got book2 yet) here's some of my thoughts (in white) - as a SAHM, the first bit, i felt i could relate to Gina, until the discovery in the garage obviously, but i guess because i'm anti-guns in every respect (i caved to nerf bows and arrows only a few years back (thanks katniss)), it might be the general attitude and anti-gun laws here (and every time a mass shooting is reported like this week on the news) but i couldn't imagine the whole transformation she went thru, despite understanding it from a protective mama bear p.o.v) It was documented well though, the whole thing was well written to the point that it was almost like i was watching a movie. Her routine of checking the various forums etc, i guess because we try to keep everything positive here and i don't venture too far from here, i was amazed at the hate and extent of the 'how could she not know?' sentiment, although i guess i would think that myself and understand there are lots of people hiding behind the virtual anonymity to type hurtful stuff. The amount of 'fans' of her husband and the end i really didn't get until after when thinking about all those Criminal Minds episodes and i'm still a bit shell shocked and hoping there was more fiction than fact to this book. It was gripping and kept me entertained but in a watching a train wreck kind of way and kind of just hoping it had a happy ending, y'know.

OK Q for those (all of you?!) that read book2 (knowing there's a book 3 on the horizon) and you can answer me in white - Does book 2 have a happy ending (I think i could only read it if her or the kids don't die at the end - this isn't really my normal genre The end

9. lealawson

lealawson Well-Known Member

Totally not a typo. Lol. I live in Minneapolis - we have a lot of libraries throughout the city. :) This is actually a small amount - I'm one of 72 people in line for another book - there are 39 copies of it.

londoncuppa and bellbird like this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

WOW! That's amazing!

11. Karen

@bellbird I read book 2 and think you will happy with ending. spoiler: the kids don't die, so you won't have to stress about that through the whole book. :)

bellbird likes this.
  12. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I finally read it shortly after MOC was finished. I gave it 4 stars but didn't feel the need to read Book 2. Maybe I should!

eta: I decided to check our county libraries and apparently it's not being ordered. So I went to the state system but while many have ordered it, it's not available in most. I decided to read the synopsis but then came across the keyword part and these were not in alphabetical order. First keyword though is 'divorced women'. hmmmm... Who knew that would be a search subject.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  13. tinkerbell1112

Finished Book 2 this weekend while recovering from my SECOND round of flu this year. ugh. Had B, then A...thinking of going for a Triple Crown and getting C before winter is over. hahah

Anyway. I loved 2. I think I read it faster than 1. It moved much quicker in my opinion (and 1 moved quickly!!) - but I think I'm always shocked to think that there really is that much hate out there at times. I live in a bubble I know, but man - that is some ugly stuff!!

Karen likes this.
  14. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I could have written this word for word - well, not the Flu part. And I'd rather not have A, B or C, and I don't want you to get the third bout either! What do you think Book 3 would be about? If you answer, in white so we won't spoil!

Karen likes this.
  15. Karen

Wow! What a double whammy on the flu! That really stinks @tinkerbell1112 I sure hope you're are done for YEARS! Glad you liked book 2 though. I flew through that one faster than the first too!

16. tinkerbell1112

Thanks... Considering it's been over 18 years since I had it I suppose I was due

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Karen likes this.
  17. tinkerbell1112

Book 3???? Honestly what can it be about. I think the story is done

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jk703 and Karen like this.
  18. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I finally read this. I let it expire once without touching it and had to put it on hold a second time at the library. It's due in a week so I had to read it fast but that was very easy to do! I didn't want to put it down. I'll have to read the sequel sometime and then guess what the third might be about.

Karen likes this.
  19. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

Last year I completely failed at my reading challenges.

But before Christmas they had a kindle unlimited deal for 3 months for .99cents. I did that but still hadn't used it until this month! Ekk!

Anyway! I just started this book yesterday & finished this today because it's one of the free kindle unlimited ones & has free audio! I've been listening as I scrap and couldn't stop. I had it playing on my drives too.

All this to say, I'm starting book 2 now & also committed to Kindle unlimited, so I'm 100% going to get more books "read" in 2019!

I really wish it wasn't such a BIG cliffhanger, but since I'm doing it this way it's quick! I know it'll be a longer wait for book 3, but not as long as you guys are waiting, lol.

20. Karen

I usually won't read any book of an unfinished series, but I read this one and didn't KNOW it was unfinished. I definitely read book 2 right away after the first one because I can't stand open ended books. lol. I actually had forgotten there was a book three coming though. I will probably have to re-read the first two to remember what happened by the time the 3rd one comes out, but I do remember I liked the first two!

EHStudios likes this.