Lynda.com and the Library!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

@NancyP
    Our 2 youngest children started Spanish in elementary, which was so nice that they started that program up!

You should beable to call your local libary and ask. If not do you have the option to use your neighbor towns libarys? We are here and they might have that option at theirs!?

2. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Will, I do order books through my library that they get from other libraries, but I am confused about getting onto a computer site through your local library. Never heard of this before and I wouldn't even know how to start.

3. bbachand

bbachand Well-Known Member

@bestcee THANK YOU for sharing this post. I decided to check out my local library website, and after hunting around, I found that we can also access those videos - what fun! :dance

bestcee and busywoman139 like this.
  4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i went to my library's site 20mins ago and got distracted by books- i cant find anything but books/audio/dvd - i would say you're very lucky re: lynda and language site (new one to me)

bestcee likes this.
  5. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

We have access to Lynda, Gale, Code Academy, Duolingo, Khan Academy, & Udacity through our library. It's the best! Yeah for libraries!!

bestcee and Teri like this.
  6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@NancyP each library website would be set up differently but at my library site the link to Lynda.com is listed on a drop down menu on the home page under a learning tab.

7. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I of course went to check my library.... and nothing. boohooooo

8. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I've never heard of Lynda! I'll have to Google it because it sounds exciting!!

9. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

That is awesome! I sent a request to my library several months ago about connecting with Lynda - what an awesome resource that would be! They have something similar now but not nearly the quality that Lynda would be.

10. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

AND I'M IN!!!! I went to the library website of a suburban community not far from me and bingo, they have it! In the span of 5 minutes I was able to do an online registration for a temporary library card and log in to Lynda! Man do I LOVE the power of the internet!!!! :circles:banana

bestcee likes this.
  11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

How cool! I wonder if my library has that too? I'll have to check it out!

12. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

@NancyP
    on ours I could not find Lynda but I totally got lost in all else you could borrow by digital format! I would recommend you go into your library and ask for help.

bestcee likes this.
  13. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

My library also has access to Lynda! I didn't really know what it was before.

busywoman139 likes this.
  14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I picked up a bookmark at the library with the website on it. I use their website to reserve books, and renew them before they are overdue! Usually you can google your library name, or system, and the website will come up.
    In salt lake, we had access to both salt lake county library and salt lake city library, so different websites. But in Orem, it was just the orem/provo library.
    I bet if you go in, or just call them the librarians would love to helpß

Sokee likes this.
  15. merank

merank Working my way through scrumdiddlyumptious bars

Thanks @bestcee for posting this! I actually have cards for 3 libraries (for ebooks) and I had never really checked out the other resources/references/databases available to me. Between the 3, there are so many options - including lynda.com, rosetta stone, genealogy research, etc. I am so excited to start exploring and see what I can do/learn!

16. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Gals, I can't thank you enough!! And all this time I thought it was just for books!!! I am so excited about this!!! Just look at all the happiness you started with this thread, Courtney!!! WOOT! WOOT!!!!

17. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Wow! :woot I wasn't very interested in this at first because I won a free one year subscription to lynda.com in 2012. It was nice, but I prefer CreativeLIVE. But it's still useful and after reading in this thread a few times I decided to go to my library website and see if they have any similar offerings.

It was kind of tricky to find but by peeking under every tab, I finally found some great offerings hidden under a Research tab, in a menu item "Databases." There are about 3 dozen resources listed on the page!

There's a foreign language program called Mango that I've heard of but never looked at. Anyone know anything about it?

And there's lynda.com! Even more awesome is that when I logged in (with my library card and PIN numbers) it asked if I'd ever had a lynda account before and synched with it, remembering my progress on videos I'd watched way back in 2012 or 2013! I'm with @busywoman139 marveling at the awesome internet! :D

For years I've been *gratefully* using my library systems reserve and renewal system on their website. There are 8 branches in my library system and I can request a book from any one of them and it will be delivered to any location I choose (or by default my chosen "home" library). Once or twice I've spent time just reading some interesting features they have too. But I'm clearly not taking full advantage of my library system. I love libraries though. I've even scrapped about them a couple of times! :wub

18. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

Thank you @bestcee I check my library and they don't have Lynda. Then I checked a neighboring town and I can get a non resident card for $40. Then I checked the town I work in and the non resident card is free!! woohoo! I'll be getting that card. Let me know if you take any of the classes.

bestcee likes this.
  19. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

OMG. I didn't realize that there was that resource (Lynda) and that our library has it. I'm excited. We also have a language one called Mango (city library) and Pronunciator (county). Our library also does free Microsoft certification training. And we have something called Universal Class. So many cool things. We also have Hoopla which offers tv and movies, music, books and a bunch of online courses. I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't realize there was so much out there.

20. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

everyone should check out their library website. there are all sorts of items there that are free!

bestcee and kimingvtx like this.