March Book Club: The Lake House

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by crystalbella77, Feb 29, 2016.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I've started. I'm about 40% through, based on the numbers my phone has. I think it took me awhile to get comfortable with the dates, narrators of each chapter, all the characters, and timing. I am liking it more as I read it. :)

On a side note, I'm so happy that I'm reading a book. It's been forever!

berniek and crystalbella77 like this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

well, i'm audiobooking while cleaning and driving and stuff and i'm 7hrs in (start of chapter 14) with over 14hrs to go -uggh (i'm having the same problem with the change in time periods and characters like All the Light - i think this is why i like YA - they're usually too young to have decades of backstory to jump back and forth between and just tell the story start to finish, no mental gymnastics and mathematics necessary on my part). It's not making me want to read more by this author either. I keep just thinking 'get on with it' - Yes she's giving her characters depth and giving a bunch of scenery description and yes she's disclosing stuff slowly but so far there's only one character's scenes i'm more than vaguely listening to; not sure i should say who at this point of the month

Lindzee and crystalbella77 like this.
  3. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

You are not making me want to persevere in finding this book. Here in Malta it is only the large format book that is available (expensive and heavy around 25 dollars ) and the kindle version is 15 dollars. been trying to get it second hand, but am just about ready to give up. And reading the above is not helping, LOL.

4. yzerbear19

yzerbear19 CT - Krista Sahlin

I love Kate Morton and have read most of her books. I think my favorite is The Forgotten Garden. It was the first one I read by her and it was amazing. I couldn't stop reading it. I also really liked The Secret Keeper.

5. jk703

Justine.... it does get way better and easier, I have found. I just had trouble in the beginning keeping people/time/location straight when I couldn't connect any dots, lol! :giggle

Vivi, It really is a good book, and I'm liking it more as I go along. I don't know about that hefty $15 though. Do you guys have the ability to borrow from libraries, amazon or nook? @Nemla

bellbird likes this.
  6. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

This is me too! I really didn't like it at first as it seemed too disjointed and too vague at times, but now that I'm further into it and know more of the characters/stories, I'm having a hard time putting it down.

jk703 likes this.
  7. jsutterfield4

jsutterfield4 Member

I got my copy at Half Price Books and the only one they had was hardcover at $14 :(

8. jk703

Exactly! I haven't read a book in a long time, and my old habits are coming back. Must read until done... and not much else gets done! :giggle

9. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I have received notice that a copy is on hold for me at the library so I need to remember to go pick it up!

weaselwatchr likes this.
  10. jk703

Finished it! Ending way better than the beginning. Will wait for others! :whistle

crystalbella77 likes this.
  11. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Wasn't it just yesterday morning that you said you were at 40% through? :giggle

jk703 likes this.
  12. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

All the Light kept my interest for whatever reason. This book did not. It was like a Modern Day Historical Victorian Novel to me. Too much scenery description, too much unimportant information. An exercise in reading endurance really. The story was ok - but just ok, not fabulous.

Karen likes this.
  13. jk703

I couldn't help it. I wanted to know the ending. I had a clue, but one thing threw me off.

I might try one more of hers that people said were good.

I think I might have liked to read one of Alice's books. :giggle

14. jk703

She does give a lot of scenery/unimportant info! Totally agree with that. I did like the story, after I got used to her writing style.

tkradtke likes this.
  15. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

If you are wanting to try something else by her, definitely start with The Forgotten Garden!!! It is sooooooooo good!!!! My mom even loved it and was super intrigued and she's crazy hard to please haha!

yzerbear19 and jk703 like this.
  16. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

I agree. I still don't have my copy at the library and if I don't have it by the half way point of the month I don't know that I'll start it!

17. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

I've never read this author before. I'm on page 75 and it still doesn't feel like anything is happening. When will it start?

It might be my dyslexia, but I'm having a really hard time keeping names straight. The modern people have old fashioned sounding names. Too many similar (to me anyway) sounding names. I'm not sure who is who!

bellbird likes this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I've had this problem - took me a while to figure A.C Etivane (not sure of spelling cos audioing) the author was Alice grown up - i hope that's not a spoiler...? it was just confusing me too - i needed like a family tree drawn out to follow with all the sisters and the parents and nannies and such in the beginning.
    Anyone know if there is a family tree in the book-book version?

19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i think the actual mystery doesnt really become evident for a while - it felt like about 4 - 5 hours for me.... i now have about 10hrs left on audio and i dont know how they can drag out the solution for that long - i know that the case has been unsolved for many years but still

ETA: i went and read the blurb on goodreads and the actual mystery i referred to above is listed in it. If i'd remembered this, i'd have been annoyed they didn't get to the event sooner rather than just confused about where all this was going

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i think my mum would like this book and author - she still re-reads Agatha Christie's and this just seems that style to me