Knitting and Crocheting

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jk703, Feb 15, 2016.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hi Everyone! I'm at work... on a holiday here in the US, President's Day, and I don't really want to work... so I was looking into Knitting and Crocheting.

They are not the same, I do know that. I would like to try to learn one, and keep trying tget better at it. Years ago, I tried crocheting when I was younger. But... being a teenager, I didn't stick to it. Nowadays, it depends on the person that you talk to, which they like best, but I have a few questions.

Once you learn, is it hard to learn the other?
    Is one easier to learn? I don't remember how easy or hard crocheting was way back when.
    What can you create with each? I don't have a game plan, just curious.
    Have you made anything?
    Is one less expensive to start?

@Karen I remember your pretty project, but don't remember which it is. Could you post that link again?

Thanks all!

enjoyyourpix and Brandi like this.
  2. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Crocheting is easier. Knitting is generally more... versatile? You can do cool patterns and things with knitting that you just can't with crochet. But you can make the same kinds of things (scarves, sweaters, blankets, etc.) with either. If you think you might like making stuffed animals rather than clothing, I suggest crochet. You *can* do with knitting, but it's fast and easy with crochet and you can find about 10 million cool patterns (search "amigirumi"). Otherwise, make an account on Ravelry (it's free) and look at pics of what people are making and see what you like. If you like the look of crochet vs knitting or vice versa. How much it is really depends more on the yarn you're buying than whether you will knit or crochet it, I would think. Better yarn costs more.

Here's some of my crochet:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

@lorryfach You have hidden talents! Love what you made :) I can knit, but only in a straight line - so am quite good at making scarves ha!

Karen, jk703, MrsPeel and 1 other person like this.
  4. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Lorry - Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Jenn,

I used to teach both at a local Adult Ed program, so I've seen how people take to each. I agree with everything Lorry said. Think of it as learning a new language. Crocheting uses one hook and has basically the same "stitch", with variations on the theme depending upon the yarn wraps and pull-throughs. You need to hold the hook, hold the yarn, and learn how to make loops and yarn overs. It's easy enough for people to learn a lot the first class.

Knitting uses a minimum of two needles, and although it is the same "stitch", the variations are more varied. I always told my students that the first class would be the hardest thing they've done. You need to learn how to: hold the needles, hold the yarn the proper way without pinching the yarn, how to cast-on, learn how to do the knit stitch. Then the pearl stitch, increase, decrease, yarn overs, cast off. After that it gets much easier and once you learn it, it's there forever. I hardly have to think about what I'm doing these days.

Although I do both, I prefer knitting so much more. It relaxes me to knit, and I love the way the projects turn out. A lot of it is just personal preference. My mom is a crocheter extraordinaire, and makes amazingly beautiful things, although she can knit. She just chooses not to!

So, if you want to learn something fast with faster results, do crocheting. If you have more patience and have more time, then do knitting. But just remember that you can knit fun things with just the basics, like scarves! Just let me know if you need some good resources.

5. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I used to crochet - my grandma taught me when I was pretty young. Unfortunately, as I've gotten older the twisting motion absolutely kills my wrists, so its been years since I've crocheted!

jk703 likes this.
  6. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

I can do both. I learned knitting (english method) when I was a child. Knitting in my opinion is easier only because there are two stitches to learn. BUT, I feel that it's easier b/c I learned knitting before I learned to crochet. There is continental style knitting and english style knitting. I learned english style first but then as I learned to crochet, the Continental became VERY easy and a MUCH faster way of knitting. Crocheting was very frustrating for me as it can be difficult to see where the hook goes into the loop to make the stitch... and there's many stitches you can learn. What I love about crocheting is that you don't have to worry about your hook falling out where as with knitting, if the stitch comes off the needle you could lose a whole bunch of stitches if you're not careful.

If I were you... I would try both and see what you like more. Then go with that one. There are a lot of resources on YouTube where they show you from their perspective so it's much easier to see what to do. I took a class for crocheting a few years ago and kept practicing and then finally one day, it just clicked. But that was after watching many YouTube videos as well.

Cost wise, well... I'm not sure I'd say one is more expensive than the other. You can purchase some really nice "equipment" or you can buy some cheaper ones. I use the metal crochet hooks b/c I've had the plastic ones break on me and that's frustrating! Yarn can be affordable too! But there's also some really nice expensive kinds as well.

Here are some apps/online resources that are helpful...

Knitting Help dot com - She shows you both methods of knitting and there's also an app you can download on your phone or iPad.

Melanie Ham on YouTube. She's great with learning how to crochet. I didn't find her till about a year ago. She has some free projects and other great vids to watch!

Good luck and can't wait to see what you decide!

jk703 and MrsPeel like this.
  7. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Lorry, you keep amazing us , girl!!!! Jen, I'm not much help as I had my grandmas wanting to teach me but I was not interested then, then life got complicated and I never learn, but I think the girls here have been pretty good on all the advice..... I remember at some point ending up hating crochet because my paternal grandma made so many things, our house looked like a patchwork of pieces of crochet of trillions of colors...something that, funnilly enough, I should have loved as I was a hippie.... LOL but didnt then...now I am crazy for someone to make me a cardigan like one I was in a store that doesn't exist anymore...but know none that can crochet or knit!!!!

@Brandi how is the English method different to ...what the USA one? I am curious, didn't know the Brits have their own way!!!

jk703 likes this.
  8. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Oooo tell me about this cardigan!

9. QuiltyMom

We "wrap" the yarn around the needle in a separate motion with our right hand. The Britt way style you hold the yarn in your left hand and wrap the needle around the yarn.

Check this out:

And this is what I'm currently knitting:
    http://store.nonipatterns.com/products/Ella-Learns-Tango-Pattern.html

Brandi, KarenW and jk703 like this.
  10. jk703

Oh boy....

I'm going to look at some of the you tube videos and see which I might lean toward. I also like Lorry's idea to see what you can make with the different ways, to see if that makes me lean one way or another.

Lorry! Look at that bunny - so very cute! You have so many talents!
    Jan.... I'd totally wear that sweater with black leggings and boots! Same color?

Thank you so much everyone... I'm going to dig deeper and figure out which I like better, and will come back here for info. So appreciated!

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  11. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I do both and knitting is torment to me! lol
    I love to crochet for hours upon hours. I set my kindle up on my knee and crochet and read books!
    [​IMG]
    I make baby blankets, booties, hats and my new fav boot cuffs that go on top of or in the top of your tall boots! way fun and so versatile. I also am addicted to infinity scarves. I don't have patience to have loooooooooong projects, If I can finish in a few days or hours WIN for me!

enjoyyourpix, KarenW and jk703 like this.
  12. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

My Mum taught me to knit when I was little so I find that easier but I taught myself via Youtube to crochet. I like to knit for larger projects, scarfs, blankets (using really big needles and wool otherwise I get bored) and crochet for small projects like stuffed toys - Yoshi was a present for a teacher -

[​IMG].
    and totoro was for my son
    [​IMG]
    If you are after ideas and patterns go join Ravelry, lots of freebie patterns for both knitting and crochet and tons of other ideas.

13. jk703

Oh Ann... those are beautiful! I love the grey with the pink and white. Those booties! So pretty!

14. jk703

Karen, those are the cutest! I love the animals! So cute! I'm going to peek there to see if there is a preference of which I want to start. I don't think I'll make little animals though. Hmmm... they are cute, and cuddleable, :giggle

KarenW likes this.
  15. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Jan, How many balls of yarn is that going to take you? It's gorgeous!

16. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

I love both! I find knitting very relaxing because it's so rhythmic. I've made lots of afghans and baby blankets.

17. QuiltyMom

I can't remember - I just checked and it was 9 skeins of 250 yard worsted weight (2165 yards needed). I'm working on the sleeves now, but I ran into a problem and have to do the frog stitch (rip-it rip-it) for most of them to fix it. I knit both of them at the same time so if I make a mistake on one, I make it on the other! ha!

The last row of the collar took me almost 2 hours to knit (increase every stitch and cast off concurrently). The 36" needle was crammed with stitches even before I started the last row! I

Dalis likes this.
  18. QuiltyMom

[QUOTE="jk703, post: 705507, member: 5828
    Jan.... I'd totally wear that sweater with black leggings and boots! Same color?[/QUOTE]

I chose a mid-hued blue instead. I now wish I would've chosen purple. I love purple, but I thought the blue would go with more.

And can I say that we've got a bunch of super talented people here at TLP! Wow, ladies! I'm loving seeing what ya'll have made!

19. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

This right here makes me want to learn how to do this...so pretty!

20. sberkan

sberkan Says "yes" to new adventures...

Seriously, I want to learn how to knit just to make what you're making Jan...it's gorgeous! I've tried both as a young'un but never stuck with either. I think I'd love to take up knitting again but I also cross-stitch and have 4 young boys so another hobby that doesn't get done is probably the last thing I need right now (oh, and quilting). Someday, when they get older...I'll never be bored :)