Making Gifts | Pad Patter 11.10.15.

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jenevang, Nov 10, 2015.

1. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

OK, we are talking about Christmas gifts... thanks, Anne for bringing it up and giving me anxiety :giggle

Here's the Terror-inducing thought for today...

Do you MAKE gifts? Have you started? Finished?
    Do you have good intentions? Are you a total fail at this? Or a Martha Stewart clone?

I am seriously considering making Fabric Fauxdoris ("sewdoris") this year and inserts using digi supplies. I just love them and think I can do it, since I know how to thread my machine and all...

What about you? I want to hear about your crafty giftiness.

2. Nikki Epperson

Nikki Epperson I'm really a spy.

I don't make gifts. I'd like to, but my creativeness just doesn't flow like that. I could make books for my family, but I don't. Maybe I should at least for my mom!

3. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

^^^ You must share what this/these is/are.

I'm doing a hybrid calendar for my grandson's quasi-stepmomma, and probably for my mom as well. I've pinned a bunch of ideas for other things, but don't know if I'll have the time/energy to complete them. I used to get a lovely spiteful feeling to make something for my sis-in-law, but she's no longer in the picture, so I'm cutting back on spite this year. LOL.

4. lcpereyra

lcpereyra You won't believe my blue streak!

I make gifts every year. I haven't started, or even planned, yet this year. I'm the queen of with last minute craziness. ;)

I always have good intentions but the past few years has been more of a challenge time wise so I've cut back on what I make. I do miss it.

5. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

The only gifts I make are scrapping related... I do calendars for my mom, MIL and grandmother. Since we go on a road trip with my parents each summer, I make them a trip album as well (desperately need to get started on that).

6. DixieDoesPSP

DixieDoesPSP Well-Known Member

Make gifts? Ha ha ha ha.........ha ha ha ha....OMG..... Me make gifts...Oh they would all get sent back. Ha ha ha....I did make hand scrubs though last mothers day for my mom and mom n law and they turned out well. But Christmas? Not me. LOL

7. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I make an ornament every year (haven't yet started), I will be printing my scrapbook pages this year, updating the kids' busy boxes, I'd like to make allergy friendly cookies for all the neighbors this year, and probably some magnets for stocking stuffers for hosting Christmas for all my family.

8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I used to make things all the time, but I'd have lists two miles long of the things I wanted to make and I never started in time so I wouldn't finish half the projects. Now I know myself well enough to know that I shouldn't even try. Now, the only thing I made is a little 4x6 monthly calendar for all the grandparents. And I barely get that done on time usually. sigh. :giggle

9. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

thanks to dear friends, I have a few shutterfly coupons, so I am in the midst of making books for my LIttles bio Grandma..
    and another for my mumbly with all the kids!
    I was hoping to do one for my son and his wife their wedding, but everytime I go to edit the photos, I cry...so it may have to be an anniversary gift. lol
    I am gonna do matching pj pants for the whole family, because it may be the only time we are all together...and I WILL have a family portrait, if it has to be in jammies!! hahah

10. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I used to, and even my daughter got into it one year making a little handmade gift for everyone 2 years ago. I just don't have the time for it at the moment.
    But now I'm curious .... as to what the Fabric Fauxdoris ("sewdoris") are too?

11. jenevang

Bought my fabric last night! Thank you Veteren's Day sale at Jo Ann's. I'm at work, but when I'm home I'll take a photo of my stash.

A "sewdori" is basically a homemade midori (travelers notebook), made with fabric. I'm too chicken to work with leather yet :).

Here's an idea of what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

Full disclosure. I bought the one with the coffee cup in an Etsy shop (support the small business and all), but realized once I got it that I could make these (with a better quality) for at least as much $$ if not less. So... off to Jo Ann's I went.

I'll let you know if I'm correct :).

12. jenevang

Getting started with these... EEP.

[​IMG]

13. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

ooh, Jen, great project. Can't wait to see them finished.

I give a lot of baked gifts - various breads, fudge, etc. and also scrapbook albums for family.

I like Anne's idea of matching PJ pants - I think I could pull that one off.

14. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Jen, that looks amazing:thumbsups I don't sew, but I do make fudge or toffee each year and put into little jars. I also like to decoupage mdf stuff. I always make my Christmas cards too. I recycle the previous years. Funny that none of my gifts have anything to do with scrapbooking...which is really strange when you come to think of it! Actually, you have really made me think, WHY do I not make scrap booking gifts or at least gifts that are photo centered? :hummm off to ponder.

15. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Hum mm, time being of the essence, I doubt my family will have home made gifts. Lots of good ideas here though. Family will get a wonderful home made dinner.

16. jenevang

I think gifts from the kitchen are awesome! It's just not really my strong point, hehe. I get spiced pecans as a gift from a good friend and look forward to it every year.

17. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

those are pretty cool Jen! i don't know why i was imagining some kind of hat in my head when you mentioned Fabric Fauxdoris... fedora came to mind, but I should have thought midori knowing you! I think those are adorable. Do they have a little pocket on the inside flap or anything or are they just covers? I love them! Can't wait to see your final photos.

Karen I've done lots of scrapbooking and calendar photo gifts throughout the years. Always a fave. Just don't think I can pull one off this year. Good luck to you if you can get one done!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  18. Chel

Chel Active Member

I always have plans to make things but then.............well........LOL!
    Maybe next year. Until then I will just admire the wonderful craft ideas/photos in here.

19. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

The one with the coffee cup is just too cute, Jen! I used to make lots of crafts, but not so much these days. I did make little desk calendars for everyone last year, which I'm pretty sure I'll be doing again. I used Liz's 5X7 cards and gave everyone one of those inexpensive little acrylic frames to stand on their desk.

20. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I love those, Jen. What a cute idea. I'd love to try them, but probably not for this Christmas.

I usually do something small for the people in my dept at work every year. Last year I did little wooden ornaments out of paint sticks and soap bottles. I may do something similar this year
    [​IMG]

And these I did for Christmas gifts for teachers, also might do something similar this year:
    [​IMG]

I am definitely making these arm knit scarves in different colors for my nieces and a couple of other people this year. And I am making a fleece blanket for my son and daughter-in-law with their favorite college football teams on either side. Now to find the time for it all
    [​IMG]