Crock Pot Recipes: Pad Patter 10.9.15

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jenevang, Oct 9, 2015.

1. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

So, our lives are getting so crazy in the afternoons I have to have dinner basically ready by about 2:30pm or I can't get started until after 6:30pm (playing Taxi the rest of the time). Not good for hungry kids.

The Crock Pot is my only salvation. BUT... I really am stuck only doing a few things. Chili, Chicken Noodle Soup and Beef tips or Roast.

I need more ideas! Please. Here are the criteria :giggle ... must be easy to prepare and well, that's about it.

Hit me with your favorite slow cooker meals.

2. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

I make these two ALL.OF.THE.TIME - well at least monthly!

Salsbury steaks - side dish of yellow rice and asparagus usually

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/239538/salisbury-steak-slow-cooker-style/

This is a family favorite - served over garlic Texas toast. You can use pork or beef, it works the same. I will tell you that here in the South - we prefer Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and sometimes we substitute the root beer for an actual beer. Makes it super yummy

http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/3-ingredient-pulled-pork/97ce3e03-1178-416c-8073-e1e37987e060

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  3. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

The reason why I haven't gotten a crockpot yet is my worry about time. I leave he house at 7:30 each morning. I come back at around 17:00. Most meals don't have to cook for 9,5 hours. So what happens if I put a dinner in and it's ready after 6 hours and I'm still at work? Or perhaps you can set the timer but what happens if I put a chicken dinner in and it will just stand there for the first 3 hours? Is this actually safe? Health and germs wise?
    Please convince me because I've seen an amazing blog full of freezer crockpot menus. I will link to it later, I'm on mobile now.

4. readingfool

readingfool Well-Known Member

5. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

They have crock pots that have timers. I would love to have one myself. That may be worth the re-investment!

6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

7. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I have been certified in food safety in the past, in two different states (Arizona and California) at some point. Here's my opinion/suggestions. Food is safe when outside of "safe temperatures" for about 4 hours before it's considered "bad". So if you leave the house around 7:30, having set up your crock pot around 6am (because you're not actually doing it RIGHT at 730, let's be real! :giggle) and you have it set on a timer to start around 9am, you're golden.

Here's a conversion chart:
    5115b014c1d4d2938644871a242bb793.jpg

Most recipes are okay to be cooked on low for 8 or so hours, so that's 1700. MY crock pot switches to warm after the programmed time, and stays on warm for like 4 hours before shutting off. Mine also has the option to insert a temperature probe into the meat, and you can program it to cook until the meat is correct temperature, then will switch to warm. so there's that.

Another suggestion.... if you put your recipes in FROZEN, and program the crock pot to start in about 3-4 hours, your food is still safe, because it was frozen, taking longer to get to the room temperature/"unsafe" levels - so it is not in that "unsafe zone" for long enough to go bad. There are TONS of recipes 'round the net for "chicken dump" or "freezer to crock pot/slow cooker" options. (I ALWAYS go to Pinterest first.... always - the reason is because there are more blog postings pinned with whole lists of recipes, rather than just one. If I'm planning to have many chicken-dump recipes in my freezer for the month, I'm doing more than one at a time. Having a bunch of options right there, laid out, some of them even with grocery lists already made.... SOLD!!!!)

So... In my opinion... crock pot cooking is a miracle. and I love it. And I do use it when I'm working in the office/away from home (which hasn't been much lately).

HACKER TIP: Use the slow cooker liners, and clean up is done for you.... providing you don't accidentally cut or poke the bag stirring/shredding/ventilating.... whatever. :giggle

That said.... I have a Slow Cooker pinterest board, and a freezer cooking pinterest board. Some recipes can/do overlap.

some of my favorites:
    Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili from SkinnyTaste
    chrockpot-chicken-chili.jpg

Honey Garlic Chicken from 6Cents
    (this post also contains 3-4 other recipes that I've tried and mostly liked)
    0f21c0ed9fa2e6312c2e0ecc5b86766c.jpg

Meatballs - Buns in My Oven (not where I originally found it, but it's where I found it now! haha)
    MY HUSBAND LOVES THESE. LOVES THEM.
    616311d3af714833a00b99e7ffa27078.jpg
    And last one I'll share right now....

BROWN SUGAR CHICKEN from Dollops of Diane
    (She also has a handful of other recipes listed [none with pictures :( ] that we've tried, but really this one is the main one we liked.)

6 boneless, skinless breast halves
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup lemon-lime soda
    2/3 cup white vinegar
    3 cloves smashed and chopped garlic
    2 T soy sauce
    1 tsp ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in freezer bag. Cook low 6-9 hours or high 4-5 hours. Serve over rice with veggie of choice.

and the last thing I'll say about these, besides the fact that I absolutely LOVE them (again), is that they are sooooo versatile with different dietary restrictions. We have food allergies in my house, so when I can make something REALLY fast by simply throwing things into the crock pot, I'm sold.

okay. off my soap box now.... LOL. (I love this topic.... LOVE it! :giggle)

lvancura likes this.
  8. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Slice an onion in three thick pieces, a couple of carrots and a couple stocks of celery on the bottom of a crockpot. I used a grain fed chicken, but I do not think that matters. Wash the chicken, salt and pepper the inside and throw a bay leaf in the cavity. Gently separate the skin around the breast and rub some garlic salt, pepper and a bit of rosemary between the skin and the flesh - rub it down into the legs to, but try not to break the skin. Set on top of the veggies and put crock pot on low for about three hours depending on the size of your chicken. I used the probe on mine and set the temp at 170. Low heat. - don't add liquid.

The juice from the chicken and the veggies makes a wonderful base for gravy and the chicken tastes awesome... The only thing I found was that my chicken did not brown, so I put it under the broiler for a few minutes while I thickened the gravy.

I'm sure you could easily use other spices and even barbecue style spices for different flavours.

It took me around ten minutes to get everything in the crock pot and another ten to produce gravy, Browned chicken, salad - and I often make "baked" potatoes in the microwave.

9. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Put your choice of veg at the bottom (or wad up some foil if you're anti-veg, just so the bird isn't directly on the bottom) and throw in a whole chicken. I call it fauxtisserie because it tastes like rotisserie except the skin isn't brown... but you can even brown the skin by throwing it in the oven for like 15 min at the end. Super easy.

10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

11. AmandaDawnRN

AmandaDawnRN Active Member

Just added lots of these to my crockpot pin board. I have tons of pins here: https://www.pinterest.com/amandadawnrn/food-crockpot/

A few of our tried and true faves:

Ham and Potato Soup
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/7740630582917163/

Beef Tips
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/7740630582917127/
    or
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/7740630579332476/

Black Beans (we freeze to use as side)
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/7740630582238801/

Mac and Cheese (we add some ham)
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/7740630580237792/

Pork Carnitas
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/309129961899494433/

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  12. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

13. klee73010

14. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am in the middle of soccer season and we've been eating out A LOT! I was just whining about this to another soccer mom and she looked blankly at me and said "don't you have a crock pot?" :giggle. I'll be honest. I think I've only ever cooked a meal maybe twice in my crock pot. Mostly I just use it to make chicken breasts ready to be shredded for other meals. Also, in my defense... I leave the house at 6:30 am don't get home until 5:30 sometimes, so I often figured that meant I couldn't leave food in the crock pot that long. I am totally going to give it a try with the freezer to crock pot type meals. Loving the ideas here!

16. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

I need to create a crock pot recipe book from all of these ideas! Thanks, guys... gonna go through them and impress my family, hehe.

17. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

These all sound great! When I get home, I will add some of ours.

18. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

I'm definitely going to have to pin these. My crockpot meals could use a boost. In fact, I just bought a new crockpot... it's a pressure cooker/crock pot in one. So if I forget to set it and do the slow cook, I can pressure cook and still have the same result. I used it every day for the first few weeks that I had it, and the fridge was bursting at the seems with leftovers. We just finished all of the leftovers last night and are ready for round two.

This is one of our faves...
    http://picky-palate.com/2012/03/19/creamy-crock-pot-spaghetti/

I have also made several variations of this...
    http://www.bhg.com/videos/m/61430074/how-to-make-pork-in-a-slow-cooker.htm

19. klee73010

Browning ground beef and turkey works this way too. I put a liner in my crock pot, then I put my veggie steamer tray thing in, and set the hamburger on top of it (we buy the chubs usually) just as they are. Cook on low for like 3 hours. Ta da! Then, I throw the browned chub in my stand mixer and turn that on low.... instant ground up hamburger, to be thrown in spaghetti, tacos, or anything else you use ground beef/turkey/sausage for.

I use the veggie steamer tray to raise the hamburger out of the fat and grease, but it's sort of up to you if the grease doesn't bother you, or if you buy really lean to have very little fat/grease.

The only down side is cleaning the veggie steamer tray. I hate that process. Also, if I accidentally poke a hole in my crock pot liner with the feet of the tray... but if you don't jostle it too much, it's usually okay.

20. klee73010

Ps, if you didn't know, stand mixers will totally shred your cooked chicken for you. ;)