Pressure Cookers

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bderby, Aug 25, 2014.

1. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

I don't have one and know no-one who has, so this is interesting!

2. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

oh my gosh, that sounds delish. going to have to try that for sure!

3. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

I don't know about frozen, I am thinking it would take much longer to come to high pressure and that it would be hard to make sure that it has cooked through all the way.

4. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

Another easy one: chicken cut in cubes/chunks, can of diced tomatoes, can of black beans, can of corn, salsa, salt and pepper. Throw it all in, cook on low. Put in bowls and top with sour cream, shredded cheese.

Add quantities as you need, size of slow cooker.

5. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

yummy yummy yum!

6. bderby

I have made something similar too. I usually add a packet of taco seasoning. We all love it, and use it for taco filling, over rice, goes a long way and is very multipurpose.

7. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

Slow cooker is a fav amongst the kids - curries and chilli con carne are the best. Haven't tackled a pressure cooker yet, a bit reticent to add another appliance to the crowd...

8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I will check out that recipe Becky... thanks! Mine is huge and is intimidating. Another with a mother who thought I needed one!

Now, Crock Pot! I love mine and make so much in there! On Christmas morning, I made layered egg/sausage/cheese/tater tot thing, lol! I've made Lasagna, a roast with the fixings, salsa chicken, and so much more!

9. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

My mom bought me a pressure cooker ages ago. 15 years maybe? But I think I've only used it twice. I should find the instruction book and try some recipes.

We started school on Monday and I've already done 3 dinners in the crockpot... Chili, curry chicken, and pot roast.

10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I love my pressure cooker! I have the fagor one, no jiggling pieces at all.

I'm been trying recipes from America's test kitchen pressure cooker book.

And I throw meat in frozen all the time. I usually try to sear the sides, even if it's frozen, to add some flavor. I add some cooking time depending what it is, and how frozen (pulled out at 8am vs. 2pm).

My favorite thing so far is corned beef and any roasts. They are so tender and fall apart in less than one hour. I start a roast, bring to pressure for 30 minutes. Then release, toss in the veggies (potatoes, carrots, etc) and being back to pressure. Cook for 15ish more minutes and done!

11. too2manytots

too2manytots New Member

We are a family of pressure cooker owners. We use them all the time. I like Bestcee use it to cook our meats, and chicken dinners. ALso we make all our frijoles, (black,red,pinto,green pea,lentils,etc...) You can even bake a cake in it. You can also make the most delicious caramel sauce using condense milk. Our favorite is eye round roast.

12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Ooh! I need the caramel sauce recipe. I love homemade caramel!!

13. too2manytots

too2manytots New Member

It's basically put the can of condense milk in the pressure cooker. My favorite brand is Magolia. I fill it with about one of my fingers touching the bottom of the pan until it reaches my second knuckle. Don't laugh this is how my grandmother taught me to cook it. Take off the label of the can. I cook it for about 30 minutes. You can google it and see all the different recipes. One thing is for sure you cannot open the can until its completely cooled. It can explode. My pressure cooker is a very old one.

14. JuliettePerkins

JuliettePerkins I eat, sleep, breathe Apple.

I'm glad the pea question was asked, I was worried then! :D

15. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

funny you posting this, because I need one, in Brazil is like a house staple..... everyone has a pressure cooker as our basic meal is rice & beans, black or brown beans depending on the region, and they take ages unless you use one....
    But in this country none uses :(
    so I have no cue which makes to buy....
    I havent read all the posts, but if anyone in the UK knows a good make, please let me know :)

16. bderby

This has been my favorite book so far. I have just had it from the library, but i think i am going to buy it.