Pad Patter 1/26: Exercise

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jenevang, Jan 26, 2014.

1. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Sigh. OK, we are almost a month into 2014 and many of us made an exercise or health related resolution. How are you doing with that?

And, what are you doing to get (or keep) that body feeling good.

For me, my DH has sort of created a home gym in our garage! :dizzy
    He's been talking about it forever and after Christmas this year he bought a cheap-ish treadmill and a weight bench. I already had mats/handweights/and a big ball thingie.

[​IMG]

So, I suppose my excuses are few now. Except that it's freakin' cold outside, hehe. He even put a portable heater out there, though, so that's not even an excuse!

So far, I've been out there about 5 days out of 7. Pretty proud of myself, but I have a LONG way to go.

How do you exercise?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

I didn't make a resolution per say, but the doc said my chloresterol was high, so I'm trying to watch that. And I do have a gym membership, so I started up at the gym again, I'm doing the Jillian Michaels 30 minute BodyShred at Goodlife. It's a killer class, but I feel good about myself after :)

3. VickyD

VickyD Coffee - I need an IV for that!!

I'm hoping to start going swimming twice a week soon. I have to be careful with weight baring exercise and also have to pace myself so not to have a flare up of my illness.

I'm going to go with my dad who is now retired so we can motivate each other

When the weather picks up I'm going to try some gentle walking too

4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I ate ONE recee peanut butter cup on Halloween, and I was like a heroin addict, I began eating sugar like a crazed woman, 2 years of no wheat or sugar gone! I put on 18 pounds in 3 months, and cried.
    So...................
    back to the lifestyle of no flour/sugar (except for natural sugars in fruit).
    Body Pump 3 times a week for an hour at 5AM
    4 miles a day walking (drop boys off at school and pick up)
    and I will start cycling on Tue/Thurs in Feb at 5am
    Lost 4 pounds of the 18, and will lose the rest!

5. jenevang

Holy Smokes, Anne. I'm no longer proud of my 1 mile walk 5 x this week. This is quite an inspiring schedule. I'm leaving this forum and heading outside :giggle

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

What is this exercise you speak of?

Sigh. I am actually doing much better over the last two weeks or so. I've been doing work out tapes at home since I always have the kiddos with me. My hubby is a member of a 24 hour gym and it's hard enough for us to find time for him to go (although he's MUCH more dedicated about it than I am). I've been working out 3-4 times a week and that makes me pretty happy!

7. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

I've been eating better and trying to move more. Since before Christmas, I've lost 7 pounds, and have a lot more ago. I'm starting to do Zumba again on Monday, and trying to do it at least two or three times a week with my neighbor.

I've fallen a bit off the wagon this past week, but come Monday I'm back on, hopefully with no slipping.

I've also cut Coca-Cola almost completely out of my diet (except for when I go to the movies, then I get a medium Coke).

Once it gets warmer, we'll be walking again too.

8. purlz76

purlz76 Ags

I had every intention to start a nightly 9pm run routine around my neighbourhood. And I did start, on my birthday Jan 19.

But I sprained my back the very next day which made sitting & standing straight for more than 15mins a very painful "exercise".

Now that I am almost "back to normal", I am gonna restart the run tonight (Jan 27, Monday).

9. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

now that I am in maintenance mode for 3 years now, ( that date on 1/16 :) ) I exercise Mon - Thursday all in the home... I do "real" pushups (legs extended ones) sittups, lifts, crunches and curls... I do each of those at 2 minutes each as many as I can in each of those segments. (when I first started this over 5 years ago I think I could do 1-5 pushups in 2 minutes... now I can do at least 110!) then after that if the weather is clear and not below zero windchill, I run 2 miles in my culdesac... all this is started at 5 am and I am done with all of that by around 5:45am... if it is bad weather out, I run with the wii fit. I have gotten my time under 16 minutes for the 2 mile run, however lately it is around 16:20 which still isn't bad.

we do it this way sans a gym or equipment in the house so that if we go away I can still do my exercise as there is nothing to carry :) I have a mat I put down on the living room rug and my dear hubby times me and I chart it. I have the charts all the way back to when I first started to lose weight which was 7/1/2009.... it took me 18 months to lose the 103 pounds getting to my goal on 1/16/2011 and while I fluctuate up and down about 3-5 pounds depending on situations I am glad to keep it off.

This is the first time in my life I have been able to keep it off... I just do portion control. I am also thrilled that I have not had to buy clothes in the last 3 years other than a few items just because and anything that wore out via laundering... my jeans no longer wear out on the inseams and I smile now :)

10. Roboliver

Roboliver I feel right at home at the Glitter Gulch!

I've been taking advantage of the cold & NOT exercising but I REALLY need warmth so I can get walking again.

11. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

We have a family membership at the Y and I love it. I switch between several different classes - spin, body sculpting, bootcamp. My one constant is Pilates every Tuesday. And there are treadmills and a weight room and pool. For me the key is going first thing in the morning after I drop the kids (or I won't go at all), and doing a variety of things so that I don't get bored.

12. dailydwelling

dailydwelling Confidently cooking and creating

I was doing great until I got the flu last weekend. So...today I started to get myself back on track. I walk three miles on the treadmill every morning (while watching Grey's on Netflix). When the weather gets warmer I want to start running outside a few times a week again, but right now I'm good with the treadmill. I would LOVE to lose about ten pounds because nothing is fitting right. But it seems that I've been trying to lose ten pounds for about a year now...and it hasn't happened yet.

13. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

I really want to start - like REALLY, so I ordered 30 Day Shred thru Amazon and it should be here tomorrow. Wish me luck!

14. AmberR

AmberR Take that naysayers! Pink is my color.

I was going to start running regularly again (summer move and new job threw me for a loop) but then on my birthday (jan. 8th) I crashed my bike and sprained my right ankle and my left knee. I was banned from running for 4-6 weeks. Tomorrow is week 3...I hate being unable to do any kind of exercise. at my best, i was running regularly and doing various jillian michael's dvd's at home. but I do NOT want to make my ankle worse, or cause it to never heal at all (something I did without realizing it to my wrist) so I am very sedentary right now. and packing on the pounds, because I have a serious addiction to sugar, esp. chocolate. :(

15. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

This is key for me too. It has been my routine for almost 2 years now and I have no desire to stop. I actually plan other things around my workout (like dr. appts) so I don't miss it. I do crossfit 5 days a week.

16. jenevang

I think it's sort of like drinking water... the more you MAKE yourself do it, the more you WANT to do it. Right? Somebody tell me I'll get out of the "make myself do it" phase at some point. Please :)

17. stampin_rachel

stampin_rachel The Lost Spice Girl

There is so much inspiration in this thread!
    I exercise 6-7 days per week. I mix it up with running, yoga, and weights. I do not belong to a gym and do everything at or near my house. I hate treadmills, so this arctic blast is really cutting into my mileage. As long as I do something every day, I feel good. Now I just need to pay more attention to what I am eating/drinking.

18. Keely~B

Keely~B Klicker That Just Klicks

I work out at home, four to six days a week. I mostly do HIIT, but I mix it up quite a bit. I'm like Rachel, as long as I'm doing something I'm good. When it's not too hot I get outside for 4-5 mile power walks. For me, as long as I'm exercising regularly it's not so hard to keep going, I just can't go more than two days off in a row, that's when it's easy for me to lose motivation.

19. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

Wow Jen, that is a nice setup. There is no hope in the world for our garage ever becoming a gym. It's already bursting at the seams. :giggle

I didn't really make a New Year's resolution, but I did make a conscious decision to change my eating habits.
    I've been making little changes for the past few months. I stopped drinking coffee a while ago. I stopped drinking sodas. I also cut back on sweet tea. In January, I really started digging in and went to drinking only water (and smoothies). I started eating smaller portions and choosing healthy snacks. I also began walking every day. Since starting to walk, I am down 4 pounds, but best of all I don't feel sluggish.

20. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

Yeah, I didn't kid myself with making exercise a resolution! I did get a fitbit a few months ago and that showed me how lazy I am. So I do try to reach a minimum amount of steps everyday. I'm waiting for the weather to get nicer so that I can start going for walks with Penny again and get to a higher number.