Outlander

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by jenevang, Aug 2, 2013.

1. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

So, after multiple recommendations I read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Well, technically, I listened to it on Audible.com.

I got through it and just had to pick up the 2nd in the series. 900 pages. 38 hours on audible. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I want to know what happens but want it to happen faster!

Any thoughts on this series... am I gonna be stuck reading or listening to them all? hehe

2. TeaWithLemon

TeaWithLemon Well-Known Member

I gave up half way through the second book - soooo slow. But I know it has a near cult following - so maybe you should hang in there!

3. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Ditto...I gave up half way through the 2nd book...I desperately want to read it...but its soooooooooooo LONG and SLOW

4. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

i gave up in the second book, too. it got too slow and tedious to get to where i hoped it would. ok, i didn't exactly give up, i started skimming and flipping ahead then gave up. i've tried to make it through the second book a couple of times but with the same result. maybe i'll just skip it and go to the third? it's a bit disappointing because i loved the first one.

5. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

I totally haven't heard anything about this series, but I've definitely been hiding under an rock when it comes to books lately.

I'm reading a different book called Outlander right now, and was really excited when I saw this post..lol. I'm not very far in, but it caught my attention when I was browsing the library shelves.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Outlander-A-Novel-P-S/dp/0061491349

6. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

I loved the series and made it through about 6 of the books. They are long, but I liked being immersed in their lives, and it always felt like such an accomplishment when I finished one. I do remember the 2nd book starting off slow. Did you make it to the part when she goes back in time again? That was when things seem to pick back up. Of course I love Jamie, so without him, the book just isn't enjoyable to read.

7. jenevang

Good to know, Lisa. I'm 1/2 through the 2nd book and determined to read it. She is just remembering I presume. It sort of just jumped from present to past. And I agree re: Jamie. Whew! It just seems a lot of history, LOL. And the french words are killing me. I'll get through it! Then we'll see if I invest in #3. (although to be honest I read the description and think I will)

8. Daniellesmama

Daniellesmama My name is Inigo Montoya...

I have read them all and loved them. Can't wait for the next one!

9. naughtsncrosses

naughtsncrosses Active Member

10. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

11. jenevang

That actor is yummy :). I think this would make a great show! Looks like it will be on Starz so I won't be able to see it, LOL, but everything makes it to netflix eventually, right?

12. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

This is one of my favorite book series of all times. Hang in there with it. They are worth it!

13. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

I am a big fan of series - I've read and listened to the whole thing! I think it's pretty epic and didn't find it boring. But I like stuff like this - all the details and history and sciene stuff.

When I'm listening to audiobooks and I'm getting bored - I just change the speed so it goes quicker!

14. naughtsncrosses

naughtsncrosses Active Member

Does it make it sound like the chipmunks? I think it'd be hilarious if it did - can you imagine the chipmunks doing a Claire and Jaimie scene?? ROFL. :)

15. mlewis

mlewis mlewis

I'm with Laura - one of my all time fav series. There are some slow moments, but they are worth the time. I love being engrossed in a set of characters over a period of time. I've read the series 3 times. :)

16. jenevang

I'm almost done w/ Book 2. EEK. It definitely picked up. And I can already tell I'm going to invest in Book 3. Sigh. If only there were more hours in the day. I *heart* Jamie :).

17. jenevang

OK. Finished Book 2. HELLO! Like there is any way possible that I will not be starting Book 3! Like TODAY. *hehe* I'm officially sucked into the lives of Claire and Jamie. Sigh.

18. LeslieM

LeslieM Member

My favorite series ever! It's one of my standby classics, kind of like "Pride and Prejudice"

19. cherpea

cherpea Well-Known Member

I totally loved this series... loved being immersed in the whole thing... and yes Jamie held a certain appeal... would recommend reading the whole series if you really enjoy being immersed in the characters lives...

20. cherpea

cherpea Well-Known Member

oh and i have re read the whole series at least once! and found bits I had obviously read before but MISSED!