Pad Patter: 3/15 - Your Prized Possession

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Angie4b1g, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

What is it? Your grandmother's wedding ring? Your uncle's war medal? A pair of Louboutins you bought yourself as a reward for something?

Right now it's this cup of coffee. Overall, I guess it would be my grandmother's wedding band. Although... I have no idea where it is. So I better not move until I find it (no plans to move).

2. stampin_rachel

stampin_rachel The Lost Spice Girl

I have been thinking about this one, and I can't think of anything....at first I thought my laptop, but that is a replaceable commodity. Maybe my completed scrapbooks?

3. melrio

melrio I will hunt you!

Ya know.....I'm totally stuck on this one! I would probably say my car since it gets me where I need to go.

4. lauracw

lauracw Gets a funky high on yellow sun

I don't really have a lot of special things, but when my kitchen caught on fire a few years ago, I was so scared that I would lose my daughter's keepsake box with all the special things we've saved since she was a baby. That's probably my most treasured thing (and its not even mine, lol!). Luckily, the fire just messed up the kitchen. I really need a fireproof box or something for that stuff!

5. kim21673

kim21673 I'm slowly getting there!

For the longest time.....my Grandma's wooden spoon met the world to me. Yep, just a wooden spoon that we used when we made cookies together.

My Grandma has been gone for almost 21 years and I only, ever used that spoon to make oatmeal cookies. Well, last year....the boys got in the drawer and took the spoon out without me knowing and took it down in the basement. Somehow it got broke so they hid it in the trash without telling me. A few days later I was going to make cookies and went to get the spoon and noticed it was gone. I asked the boys and they confessed....of course the trash had been taken out and a garbage day had passed. I put have glued the spoon back together or used duct tape...just like Grandma would have done. I was so heart broken...I think I cried for a few days straight over the spoon.

Now, I try to not get attached to things like that b/c you never know when they will be gone. So....I focus on the boys and creating memories!!

6. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

my Kindle ..... I thought about it and I think my most prized possession would be the thing that I would grab first if the house was on fire (after the kids obviously!) and it would be my Kindle ..... followed by my EHD and all my photos and scrappy stuffs ... everything else I can replace with insurance but I can't go a day without my Kindle.

7. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

My dog chews up all my wooden spoons. Luckily none of them are sentimental.

8. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

Hmmm, this is a very good question, Angie. I've had a few ideas pop into my head but then when I really think about it, I feel as though they're fairly replaceable.

I have my grandmother's wedding ring, too. I suppose that's one of the few irreplaceable things that I have, along with the grandfather clock that my grandpa built for her. They're sentimental, I would hate to lose them, but I don't really give either of them much thought!

9. Brynn Marie

Brynn Marie Brynn Marie

I would say my Mom's class and wedding rings would be number one. Then my original porcelain Princess Diana wedding doll (it was also my Mom's) and my autographed Heath Ledger photo.

10. strawberryredhead

strawberryredhead Tacos, tostadas, tamales, OH MY!

My sister and I used to send cards to each other all the time. I always kept the ones I received from her and when she died in 2005 and I had to go through her stuff I discovered that she kept the ones she received from me, too. I have them all together in a box and they are very special to me.

11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I think about this all the time... if there was a fire and I could only grab one thing, what would I grab (obviously after the family is safe)... hands down I'd grab my external hard drive. Even if my scrapbooks burned I could reprint them from my HD. It used to by my contacts... that I used to not be able to see without and i didn't have glasses with the correct prescription, but now I've had lasik... so the Hard drive it is. A close second would be my iPhone.

12. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

Great question. I have my grandmother's wedding rings and her 50th anniversary ring that I wear on special occasions. I wear her watch every day. I scrap next to her grandmother clock (smaller version). My kids know the computer better get in the car in case of a fire. We wouldn't have time to get the bookshelves full of scrapbooks but I would grab their baby ones first if I could.

I have the recipe box for my children's great grandmother to hand down as well as her cookie jar. Not sure it's as meaningful to them at least now.

13. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I have a few things that really mean a lot, mostly related to my grandma (I'm seeing a pattern here). Her jewelry, some household items, some little things she made. I also have a box of things from the last 20 year's with John - cards, notes, memorabilia-type stuff.

14. Mi Monteiro

Mi Monteiro I shot that egg dead

I have only one pair of earrings that was my great-grandmother and grandmother, but it is not a model I would use, and the blanket from my father who I used to sleep, love ...but believe that I am keeping books and scraps for my daughters ...

15. nun69

nun69 Active Member

yes...EXACTLY this!!! it was passed down to my mom (the oldest daughter) and then she passed it on to me when I retired from the Navy :) ...funny thing is my mom wasn't big on wearing it because she was afraid she would loose it..I on the other hand...NEVER take it off :) I figure my grandma wore it everyday for 50+ years, I can too :) I also have a cookie jar that my brother and I gave her in 1986 and it sits high on my shelf since I never really back any cookies to put in it!

I do also cherish a wooden mallard duck my grandfather carved for me and a beautiful framed mirror he made by hand for my 16th bday....I also have several "poems" my mom has written to me over the years that are also cherished items!

forgot to add that I have my husband's journal he kept on the ship (a green logbook/1992) when we were first separated (before we got married but were living together) and some things he wrote in there when he found out I was pregnant are priceless...

I also have a bullet that was shot for my dad's 21 gun salute when he died way too you at my age now (43)....

and a charcoal drawing done in Paris at Montmarte Square by a local artist of Ben & Sam in 2003...I still haven't framed it yet and it is still in the original tube that I bought and placed it in in Paris...so for 10 years I have only taken it out and looked at it about 10 times and I am determined this year to have it framed!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  16. nativescrapper

nativescrapper nativescrapper

My photos of my family is my first thing that comes to mind. Here are some that I keep close to my heart cause they mean alot to me.

My Grandmothers (passed away) Navajo Rugs that she gave me.
    My Father (passed away) Rifle
    My Grandfather (passed away)playing cards.
    My Grandmother scarfs
    My Mother gave me a ring when i was a little girl.
    My Father gave me a crystal angel when I was a little girl.
    My Husband love notes that he written me :) <3
    My Son and Daughters handprint they gave me for Mothers Day me when they were little.

17. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

A picture of my daddy holding me when I was abt 2 years ago. It's one of the last photos I have of/with him. He passed away 17 years ago, so there's no getting any now.

I usually carry it in my purse with me.

18. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

a wooden checker board that was my grandfathers. it's missing one piece, because i put it in his casket with him when he was burried. i was 16 at the time, and for as long as i can remember, we would sit and play checkers with that same set. so now it's worthless to anyone but me since it's not a full set. but i love it.