One Little Word?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by ang517, Dec 12, 2012.

1. mlewis

mlewis mlewis

Well, I haven't exactly done a OWL although I have done a specific scripture verse Instead. For instance, last year it was Jeremiah 29:11 "for I know the plans I have for you declares The Lord. Plans to propsper you; to give you hope and a future." We all memorized it. I scrapped a page that never got finished or put in a gallery, but by golly it WILL before the end of 2012. ;) I had a custom canvas painted for the kids that also included that same verse. Side note? Isn't it pretty? I got to customize it (sent her a picture of the kids) and said I was using a very large canvas print of the kids in our new living room, and she sent me this proof to approve. It is an 11x14 customized painted/modge podged canvas for $40!
    [​IMG]
    IMG_0548 by 4lewisfamily, on Flickr

Tis year I want it to be something like "just do it". I am not being morbid or taking my physical situation into consideration, but for months now I've been thinking what in the heck am I waiting for? If I want to be a better parent, then pull out all the stupid books I've bought over the years and actually read them. Say yes more often to letting them help out especially in the kitchen even though it just might drive me and my OCD tendencies insane (that's what Xanax is for, right?). If I want to learn to sew, then take the plunge and buy some fabrics. If I want to get in shape, then make it happen. (Not sure I'm ready to commit to this one yet LOL). If I have a vision of cool painted furniture to give my new living room character, then put on the big girl panties, go find me some old furniture, and then make it look pretty.

So if anyone has the perfect word for "just do it" then pass it my way!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  2. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

"leap"?

I started doing the same thing a couple years ago. Learned to quilt, and to knit, and starting taking piano lessons. Starting running. Took some leaps. Even got a tattoo that says "Leap and the net will appear" to encourage me to keep pushing myself.

3. snaggletooth

snaggletooth Minnetonka? Momma? Either way.

I havent ever done one but for 2013 it shall be "Instagram" LOL

4. lynning

lynning Makes wishes come true

2011 - I chose Family... we were building ours through adoption. It was supposed to finalize on December 12, 2011 - but ended up postponed until March 2012. I didn't have a new word for 2012... we were still on our adoption journey. 4 Years and 2 1/2 months later - it was finalized and we're one big happy family. :)

This year I'm considering RELEASE, RENEWAL, or FORGIVE. Yeah, I'm struggling with letting go of some emotional junk.

5. strawberryredhead

strawberryredhead Tacos, tostadas, tamales, OH MY!

In 2011 I chose "Routine", and thought I didn't really get around to embracing it until the end of the year, I did.
    In 2012 I chose "Purpose" with the thought of doing things with specific intention and purpose. I can't say that I gave it much thought after choosing it. :whistle

I'm not sure what my word for 2013 will be yet. I like to watch Ali's blog and see what others are considering - she usually compiles them all into a post.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  6. Angie4b1g

As I scrolled down, your words kinda went together and I thought I saw "Poutine". That's a word I could get behind.

7. strawberryredhead

strawberryredhead Tacos, tostadas, tamales, OH MY!

Perfect for your blog? lol

8. mirjam

mirjam mirjam

Haven't done it before but I was thinking of starting in 2013 and I had the word "intentional" in mind. So good to see that Sara has already tried it and that it worked for her. I'd love some tips on how to make this OWL really work. Do you write it down somewhere, do you journal at the end of each day to refelect on how you're doing?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  9. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I've done it for 2-3 years, and its kind of become the new "resolutions" issue for me. I don't even remember what my word was last year. But I will probably try again in 2013, because I'm just that way. No idea what my word will be though!

10. Angie4b1g

I'd probably do it too Americany and get lynched by Canadians.

11. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

I usually pick a word every year, and try to think of it once in a while throughout the year - kind of as a check and balance, but fun to do! Will be doing it again this year...and hint hint hint...there may be a word of the year challenge or there may not be - that's all I am saying! ;)

12. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

mine for 2011 was Move. it was extremely appropriate and actually just carried over to 2012. for 2013....... not sure.

13. ang517

ang517 New Member

I totally get it - thank you! It makes a lot of sense to use an action word.

14. Ronisdragon

Ronisdragon Why can't someday be now?

I have never heard of One Little Word before but I'm intrigued. Other than Ali Edwards site where can I learn more about it? How have you all used your word in the past? How did you keep your focus on your word?

15. Litabells

Litabells Sings off key but still sings.

Last year was my first OLW, and I chose create. With the obvious intention on creating art and stuff, but also memories, opportunities, happiness. I didn't really think I'd followed through but looking back now, I can honestly say I've made a lot fo stuff happen this year, adn it's been a damn good one. So I guess on some level it did actually stick with me

2013: rise

16. sparagus

sparagus "I accidentally slept with a call girl"

I've never heard of this before, but I think it's a great idea. For 2013, my word will be "Enjoy"--a reminder to not let myself so easily get caught up in all of the busy stuff, but to stop and enjoy: life, my kids, our family time, reading, wine, all in life that is good. It's easy to get caught up in all the things that don't matter.

17. penguinluvr

penguinluvr Member

This is my first year trying OLW. My word is Become. I hope I follow through on this project. I am a great starter of things but not a great finisher. LOL.

18. ang517

ang517 New Member

The day I posted this I was really into the idea. I thought about it all day but then I lost interest. All of a sudden tonite I just decided my word for 2013 is LISTEN. As in: I need to listen more before I speak; especially to my 13YO DD & DH. I need to listen to my body. I need to listen to more music. I don't have any grand plans for the year as far projects about my word but I think I'll try to remind myself to listen w/post its, iPhone reminders, etc. I figure its worth trying! :)

19. Brandy

Brandy I love, well, everything

I've decided on Live. 2012 was a TON of stress. So has the last couple years. I want to focus back on us as a family and while the stress is somewhat still there, focus on living and not focusing on the stress.

20. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

I actually spent a good hour the other night going through my blog to find my past words.

2008: Focus
    2009: Couldn't find one
    2010: Live boldly (2 words. Sue me.)
    2011: Magic

Last year's word worked really well for me (we went to Disney in June, but I did sort of try to look at the world as a magical place). I decided this year's word would be:

Document

I want to keep up with my Project Life and my blog and try to develop my style of documentation. I hadn't planned to pick a word this year because I didn't really want or need one and then this word spoke to me.