Are you getting a refund from Amazon?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by lmccandless, Oct 14, 2012.

1. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

We have 3 kindle users in my house and we read MANY books, so I was pretty happy when I got this email from Amazon:

--------------
    Dear Kindle Customer,

We have good news. You are entitled to a credit for some of your past e-book purchases as a result of legal settlements between several major e-book publishers and the Attorneys General of most U.S. states and territories, including yours. You do not need to do anything to receive this credit. We will contact you when the credit is applied to your Amazon.com account if the Court approves the settlements in February 2013.

Hachette, Harper Collins, and Simon & Schuster have settled an antitrust lawsuit about e-book prices. Under the proposed settlements, the publishers will provide funds for a credit that will be applied directly to your Amazon.com account. If the Court approves the settlements, the account credit will appear automatically and can be used to purchase Kindle books or print books. While we will not know the amount of your credit until the Court approves the settlements, the Attorneys General estimate that it will range from $0.30 to $1.32 for every eligible Kindle book that you purchased between April 2010 and May 2012. Alternatively, you may request a check in the amount of your credit by following the instructions included in the formal notice of the settlements, set forth below. You can learn more about the settlements here:
    www.amazon.com/help/agencyebooksettlements

In addition to the account credit, the settlements impose limitations on the publishers’ ability to set e-book prices. We think these settlements are a big win for customers and look forward to lowering prices on more Kindle books in the future.

Thank you for being a Kindle customer.
    ---------------------

Anyone else in line for credits? More importantly, have you figured out to estimate how much you'll be getting back? I tried to wade through the settlement docs and :dizzy

I am VERY glad to hear that the ridic prices on kindle books might be a thing of the past. It always chaps my @ss to pay more for a digital book than a paper one!

2. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

I have only bought at few... Usually stick with library books because it chaps my @ss even more to pay for them when I can get for free! Lol. Good they are working on this tho.

3. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

I did, and I was surprised to get it! :giggle I only bought like 3 books on the Kindle daily deals, because for the most part I just get them from the library. So I won't be splurging with the money I get, because it'll be very little. :giggle

4. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

Hmm nope but I haven't bought many books. I mostly do magazines, as they're better for my attention span, and I do them for Nook.

5. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Yep, I got that email yesterday too! I buy a fair amount of books, but I have no clue how many of them are/were from those publishers

6. carolee

carolee Humming along in the Neil mobile

I've purchased a lot of books, but I didn't get the e-mail. Maybe the ones I've bought just haven't been from those publishers.

7. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

Sigh ... I doubt it will impact us here in Oz. We pay more than most for books and music already.

8. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

I have bought a ton of books and I got the email too! I'm excited for the refund, but mostly just excited that they are going to have to lower those prices!

9. eryn

eryn gross no longer

I didn't receive the email, but I am very pleased to hear that prices will be coming down. I can't stand paying more for an ebook that I can never share or sell.

10. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

my hubby never understood why I kept buying paper books through amazon, until I showed him that they were more expensive to buy them for the kindle. He was shocked apparently all the books he buys are always WAY cheaper. So I guess, it's more to the female oriented books that they do this.

11. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I was always surprised when the ebooks cost as much as printed (or sometimes more). Thanks for the heads up. I found mine in my junk mail. I wonder how much it will be?!?!

12. kim21673

kim21673 I'm slowly getting there!

That's awesome!!!

I have yet to buy any books for my iPad...I would rather be scrapping when I don't have the kids around! LOL But I am making a book wishlist...someday!!

13. naughtsncrosses

naughtsncrosses Active Member

Yeah, even though we Aussies have to pay US dollars to buy Kindle books from Amazon (and can't get all the books available because the States refuse to sell us some works - I can't even pretend to understand why that works the way it does), we don't qualify. And if anyone here is from Minnesota, you lucked out, too.

Oh, I should have said - I have signed up for this newsletter and get free books now...
    http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=e183ec4de60aafd4dd38b6545&id=efeb35c733&e=08b7629164

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  14. mrsski07

mrsski07 Hot for Harlequin

I got the email. I've bought quite a few books so I'm interested to see what my credit will look like. I'm really happy that they're doing something about the prices too. I never understood why they were so high to begin with...

15. renee82

renee82 renee82

That's so cool for you girls! :)

16. mirjam

mirjam mirjam

Really cool that you are getting the money back!

17. Dana

Dana Dana

oh cool ... i think my amazon account goes to an email that i only check once/month or so LOL, so i should go check. i buy an embarrassing amount of ebooks ...

18. Brynn Marie

Brynn Marie Brynn Marie

Yes! I almost deleting the e-mail thinking it was spam lol. I bought a ton when I first got my Kindle so I am curious what my refund will be. In the last 6 months I have mostly stuck with the free section and my monthly free book I get to borrow from the Prime Library (BTW I love prime but I hate that it's limited to just 1 a month!)

19. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

yep, got the email. have no idea how much the refund will be, but i'm glad they're finally doing something to address the crazy prices!