Legos... how do you keep them organized?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by renee82, Sep 7, 2012.

1. renee82

renee82 renee82

Or is this one of those types of questions that just doesn't have any answers???

HELP!!! My house has sooo many lego sets now and I have no idea how to keep them organized!

2. carolee

carolee Humming along in the Neil mobile

We have a ton of sets too and we keep them in their original boxes, with the pieces in ziplocs inside of them and their instructions intact. They are stored in one of our closets and in our downstairs 'play' room in and on top of a large Ikea Expedit shelf. If I had my way, I'd put all the individual pieces in bins by color and throw all the instruction booklets in a binder but my Type A hubby can't deal with that scenario. It would literally drive him mad if I did that.

3. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

We have them all 'isolated' in one room for the moment but they will escape..

My 20yo still loves his Lego and has his few constructed more as ornaments than play things. The 9yo just has plastic tubs full except for a few special ones. It works for him.

4. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

We have a plastic tub system of sorts, too. He tries to keep things sorted by type (plates, bricks, mini figures, etc.) but it's a loose system subject to abandonment. We also have a couple of these suckers for small bits. We installed shelves on half of Nicholas' closet where he keeps fully assembled sets, once the shelves are full he has to disassemble some stuff to make room for new.

All his instruction booklets used to be in a binder with page sleeves, but he wasn't great at maintaining that and I didn't want to do it, so now they're just all stacked in large plastic bins on a shelf.

So we're running fast and loose with the term "organization" here.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  5. nockosh

nockosh googy eggs for everyone!!!

we have all the legos mixed together in one tub and the instructions in those plastic leaflet book thingys. My kids tend to prefer making their own creations with the legos rather than following the instructions so this works best for them.

6. mommy2boyz

mommy2boyz This closet isn't big enough for my boots

lol. We have a little Lego table with pull out nets that hold a lot of them. It's nice because they are right there in front of them. We have the overflow in plastic bins in the playroom closet. But I don't think there is truly any way to 'organize' them! lol. Good luck!

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

This is our system. I tried to keep the sets all together in original boxes, but that meant I had to be the one to make sure no sets were mixed together and I couldn't keep up. Plus, it seemed to stiffle their creativity, so I happily gave up.

8. julia

julia julia

No system here, my son just received his first sets of legos for his last birthday when he turned 4. I just threw them all together in a storage box that goes with his toy organization system, but now he never plays with it because he can't find the stuff he needs for each set :/

9. Nikki Epperson

Nikki Epperson I'm really a spy.

We have no system. Colton (8 years old), carries his Lego men with him all the time, so they are always missing. :/
    Santa brought him one of the big tubs of Legos 2 yrs ago and we just throw everything in there. If he gets a set, he usually builds it once and then he builds on his own. :)

10. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

all in tubs - random hodge podge - they never keep the original pieces together anyway, so we have all the directions if they want/need them.

11. kim21673

kim21673 I'm slowly getting there!

Ours are all mixed together now. When they get a new set...it's built and then torn apart. The directions are put in a tub and then the lego pieces are put in their Lego storage drawers. We currently have Mega blocks, Duplo and the little Legos in our house....I'm going CRAZY!!!!

12. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

We have a couple Trofast shelving systems from Ikea that have worked great for us. The legos are sorted by color, with added bins for people, wheels, big pieces, misc parts.... It can still be a pain to find a piece when you need it, but at least it is easy for him to keep up with when he is cleaning up. His manuals are in a box sorted by theme into folders. And the finished sets are all over the place on any available flat surface.

13. Tracyfish

Tracyfish President of the not-so-clean plate club

No system here either. We build the set one time and then my son tears it down and makes his own creations so keeping it all together is pointless.

14. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

Ours are separated by size in tubs. DD is Type A and must have everything organized, so her individual sets are still in their boxes with the instruction set. I have plans to buy mini tubs for them this week and keep them together. One thing that keeps ours organized though is I INSIST that she creates at a table in the house, and she is not allowed to leave any unfinished projects out. They go in a tub if she doesn't finish in time. This has saved a lot of headaches for me as far as finding random legos around, and I don't have to worry about my 20 month old finding them and sticking them in her mouth.

15. DoodleBop

DoodleBop Just call me Sweetcakes.

In tubs, but I try to put each set in a big ziploc bag so he can keep up with them.

16. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

We are constantly revamping how we organize legos as our collection grows.
    Keeping the sets separated was a good plan, but did not work out. My two tend to create their own thing and revamp the set stuff - at least at this age. This may change again later on as I don't think our legos are going away anytime soon. We do keep the little instruction booklets for the sets, but have only actually referred to the book once in 4 years.

17. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Each time I step on one, I chuck it out the window.

Oh, wait. You meant REAL organizing. :giggle

18. karen perry

karen perry LOCK THE DOOR!

We have loads of the ones that you buy that are a them built up in a cabinet the poor boy won't play with them cause there do expensive and the stuff he does build is in a big massive box under the bed

19. eryn

eryn gross no longer

all of ours are mixed up together...which SOOOO does not work!! But the few times I tried to organise them I realised that none of the sets are complete anymore (even the new ones grr) and any organisation I attempt is very quickly undone anyway. :eyeroll