A poll about jobs and degrees

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by mrsski07, May 8, 2012.

1. mrsski07

mrsski07 Hot for Harlequin

Because I'm thinking of going back to school & changing my career field...

1. Do you have a degree (or a certificate from a trade school)? If so, in what?
    2. Do you currently work in the field of your degree/certificate? Or, if you're a stay at home mom...did you work in that field before?
    3. If you could go back in time, would you change your degree? To what? Or maybe would you have gotten a degree if you don't have one already?

And my answers...
    1. Yes, in marketing & public relations.
    2. No, I work in a non-profit right now. And before this I did daycare in my home and human resources.
    3. Yes! After I graduated I realized that all the entry level positions were direct sales and telemarketing...which is so not me. So now I'm looking into going back to school for a degree in the medical field...likely a RN. But I'm scared!

2. milo82

milo82 milo82

I'm glad I got a steady job for over 12 years, but would love to study some more... But it's very hard on us, since we bought our first house in sept '10 and there are so many people without jobs at the moment and very hard to find a new one. Maybe one day when our girl goes to school and the market and crisis are somewhat better I'll think of it again.

1. I've got several degrees, all in teaching though...
    2. I've been working in a daycare for avout 12 years and still love it, cause everyday is different!
    3. I would not change my degree, but I would've loved to go to the photography/art school!

Shannon, don't be scared!!! I always think if you set your mind to it, you can do it!!

3. Samanta0505

Samanta0505 New Member

1.) Yes, I did a training as management assistant in wholesale and foreign trade.
    2.) I've never worked in this field, it was too hard to find a job and than I did other jobs.
    3.) YES, I would like to do a training in an other degree.
    Now, I'm at school now again, since a few months and I will be ready in 2015. I'm thinking about study photography or graphikdesign or something in this section. But my dream would be to be self-employed with my own little photography business...

4. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

1. I have a bachelors and masters both in Accountancy
    2. I worked in public accounting before we started our family. I loved the work, but my job was not really compatible with family (at least not for me) During busy season there were often 60 hour work weeks.
    3. I wouldn't change what I did in the past, but I think I might go back to school sometime. I think it would be fun to do something that utilizes my creative side more - maybe interior staging or something like that.

5. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

Wow Shannon! That's awesome about wanting to go back to school! Just wanted to say good luck to you! ;)

6. melrio

melrio I will hunt you!

1. Bachelors of Applied Science in Technology (Technology Management)

2. I work for a local school district in the Technology Department. I was very fortunate to get this job as when my sons were younger & in school, I was able to see all their activities and not miss their high school years.

3. I started out my degree program in Accounting but then computers started to go into homes and became a part of our everyday lives. The company I worked for needed a person to help maintain servers and computers and I was the best qualified at the time.

Good luck with your decision. If I could go back, I would probably get my teaching certificate in secondary level education. I would love to teach students how to use the computer and one of the projects I would have them do is an AAM portfolio done with all sorts of programs and work with photos. (Yes, it would most likely have a scrapbook theme.) :)

7. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

1. I have a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering.
    2. I worked as a telecommunications test engineer for 11 years, but have been out of it for over 10 years now.
    3. I wouldn't change my degree, but it's not something I think I could have gone back to school for, as it was very intense. The first few years of my job also involved heavy travel (I was only home about one weekend a month), so it's not something that was family-friendly.

My sister-in-law is currently going for her nursing degree. If I remember right, her long-term track is to be a surgical assistant for an anesthesiologist. She seems to really enjoy the classes, but it is a struggle. Her husband travels a lot for his current job, so they've had to hire a nanny to help with the kids while she's in school. I think she's going to make a fabulous nurse though. :)

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  8. tuttle

tuttle New Member

Yes - a BA in Secondary Education, minor in Chemistry, emphasis in Physics = chem & physics HS or middle school general sciences teacher
    2. Do you currently work in the field of your degree/certificate? Or, if you're a stay at home mom...did you work in that field before?
    I am not currently working in a public school. I worked for 4 years - until my 2nd DC child was born. I think I was pretty burnt out by then anyway, although I LOVED it! Since we're homeschooling, I feel as though my degree comes in handy - especially when we are talking about science topics. Some other HS'ing moms call me to help out w/ the "hard" science stuff.
    3. If you could go back in time, would you change your degree? To what? Or maybe would you have gotten a degree if you don't have one already?
    Yes . . . not sure . . . elementary education . . . though, I'd almost rather not have the student loans . . . BUT to say I should not have gotten a degree is too far, as the whole college experience helped shape me & grow me. My degree means more to me than telling me what career I can 'legally' be in. On a slight side note: I REALLY want a part time job at the library, but I think I need to take some library classes . . . or be uber successful selling my crafty creations . . . or photography . . . or a midwife . . .

Yeah - I believe that you're scared! I would be too, taking on the role of a student again in a institutionalized/classroom setting. But you can do it!!

9. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

1. I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theatre.
    2. I worked in theatre for about 5 years professionally (stage management, carpentry and props mostly).
    3. No I wouldn't change it..I miss it terribly still today (I've been out for about 13 years). I gained a lot from that degree and the jobs I had after I left college...however it's not an easy life and coupled with my bipolar the long hours and lack of sleep eventually did me in and I had to make a hard decision and call it quits. After I had DD I began to work on my Masters of Library Science, but we moved, I began homeschooling and we went down to one paycheck so I wasn't able to finish because of cost. I would love love love to get my MLS at some point but it's just not in the cards right now.

10. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

1. Do you have a degree (or a certificate from a trade school)? If so, in what? I have a bachelors and masters degree in Accountancy.

2. Do you currently work in the field of your degree/certificate? Or, if you're a stay at home mom...did you work in that field before? Yes. I worked in public accounting until shortly after I got married. I was a stay at home mom for four years and then went back to work. I've worked for 16 years for a small family owned business and love it. They've been very flexible with me and kids activities when they were smaller. I've been divorced for nine years and having the flexibility to do PTA meetings and scout stuff was a godsend.
    3. If you could go back in time, would you change your degree? To what? Or maybe would you have gotten a degree if you don't have one already? No, I would stick with the one I have. Accounting is one of those professions that fare well in any economy. You have to know if you are making money or if you are losing money and why. The place that I work is never boring, always new things happening. Perhaps if that was not the case, I would reconsider.

I can say one of my best friends has three degree/certifications, a degree in Advertising, a paralegal and an MBA. She is currently starting nursing school at 46 because she feels drawn to it. I can't imagine studying and taking tests at my age. I can barely remember some stuff anymore! But I'm so proud that she's making this change and think she'll make a wonderful nurse!

11. christineirion

christineirion christineirion

I have a bachelor's in Sociology and Women's Studies (double major), minor in Business Administration. My master's is in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies.

I've worked in higher education for 17 years, and I was hired in my first position because of my specific BA. So, I am working in the field of my degrees. I wouldn't change anything.

I encourage you to learn more about nursing or your new direction before you start school by doing informational interviews, talking to employers, etc. This might help you determine if you will like the job and how quickly you will be hired when you complete. Whatever you decide you can do it!

12. listgirl

listgirl listgirl

I have bachelors in Psychology and Accounting. I was ready to graduate with my BS in Psych after 3 years at Ohio State, but decided I needed something to find a job, so I stayed another 2 years and also got a BS in Accounting. Got a job in corporate accounting right out of college. Then I worked full time and went to school at night to get my Masters in Business Administration because it was free and the company paid for it.

I've been working in accounting/finance for almost 19 years, at the same company but in different locations.

This is one thing I never ever regretted. I love the field I'm in and I love that every company needs some accounting/finance people. Jobs are plenty. I've had steady raises and increasing responsibilities over the years. I'm thankful that I knew what I wanted to do at an early age and it worked out for me.

I wanted to add that I did try out other majors in college and they totally didn't take. I tried Elementary Education and hated it after my first quarter of field experience. Good thing the program at Ohio State made you do a field experience really early on. I knew spending every day with kids was not my thing. Then I tried computer programming and it was not for me. If anyone is struggling with finding their career/thing in life, maybe take a Myers-Briggs personality test, or read the book "Do What You Are" by Paul Tieger and Barbara Barron-Tieger.

13. carolee

carolee Humming along in the Neil mobile

I have Bachelors of Science in Mathematics with a minor in Computer Science.

I worked for several years at a large computer consulting firm out of college and then a few years at a small internet education company before staying home with my kids.

I do think I ended up in the profession that was right for me at the time. Though now in this stage of my life, I would be more interested in something like library science. I wouldn't have wanted to do that when I was in college though.

14. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

1. I got my teaching degree in Elementary Education
    2. I taught for one year {while pregnant} before staying home with my family.
    3. No, I never would change my degree. I knew from a very young age that I was going to be a teacher. I loved every minute of it. I miss it very much, but won't be going back to it anytime soon. I'm actually at a crossroads right now deciding whether or not to keep up my certification. I live in a teeny town, and I'm finding it very difficult to find courses online to keep up my certification. Since I don't see me ever using my degree again I am debating whether to let it lapse or not. Tough decision ahead....

15. sweetpea2020

sweetpea2020 Member

1. Do you have a degree (or a certificate from a trade school)? If so, in what? I have a degree in Business plan to go back to school when my son is older to do something else.

2. Do you currently work in the field of your degree/certificate? Or, if you're a stay at home mom...did you work in that field before? I'm a stay at home Mommy now but I did Run a Business for 6 years before I got pregnant(pregnancy was to high risk to work in a high stress field.

3. If you could go back in time, would you change your degree? To what? Or maybe would you have gotten a degree if you don't have one already? Yes, I would so change it, I probably would have done something for a daycare field or public school field.

16. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I have a B.A. in English and Creative Writing. As of yesterday, I got a writing job after 3 years of unemployment. Previous to this, I've worked in admin and editing-type positions, but not actual writing. If I could do it over again, I would get a degree with a more defined job market like Marketing and Human Resources.

Having an English degree just means you 'read and write real good,' and no one cares abt that. :td

17. mrsski07

mrsski07 Hot for Harlequin

It's so interesting to hear what everyone has done and is doing!

Christine - thanks for that advice. I have reached out to a friend of mine who is a nurse and went through school as a single mom and I plan to do much more research.

Christine - thanks for the book rec! I've taken a Myers-Briggs so I'll have to look into the job ties there a bit too.

18. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

1. Do you have a degree (or a certificate from a trade school)? If so, in what? I almost have a degree in business - like 6 credits away. I have a certificate in Medical Transcription as well.
    2. Do you currently work in the field of your degree/certificate? Or, if you're a stay at home mom...did you work in that field before? I am currently a Medical Transcriptionist which works great because I am a WAHM.
    3. If you could go back in time, would you change your degree? To what? Or maybe would you have gotten a degree if you don't have one already? If I could go back in time, I would definitely have pursued a degree in photography and design, mainly because photography has always been a love of mine, and graphic design is something I've been interested in for a long time as well, but didn't even understand what it was when I started school, lol. I do not regret the medical transcription though, I enjoy it and am blessed to have a job where I can stay at home and work on my own very flexible schedule. :)

19. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

1. I have a B.A. in history & political science.
    2. When I was starting out in journalism, I planned to be a reporter and I thought these would be better majors than journalism or communications. I had two internships under my belt before I started college - I didn't see the point of taking classes!
    3. Now that I'm in the design area of my field, I wish I would have taken some graphic design classes or computer stuff. Or maybe I would have done something else altogether that made a lot more money! I didn't know back then that newspapers would be going extinct. Why did my parents always encouraged me to do what I loved! LOL!

I figure I can always go back to school if I really need to change jobs again at some point. Good luck, Shannon!

20. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

1. I have a BA in Comparative Sociology with a concentration in Social Services
    2. No. Sigh.
    3. Hmmm..I'm not sure. I LOVE my field of study. It's just not the most practical one when it comes to employment. Especially for a military spouse who moves every few years. I often wonder about this. Especially when I find myself still paying (loan payments) for a degree I don't use, lol! But it's part of my personality and personal history and I was attracted to it for a reason. So I don't know that I would change that. But...I also wish sometimes that my skill set was one that is more practical.