Who's a runner on here?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Brandi, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

Who's a runner on here?

I love to run :run and was just wondering who else on here loves to as well? I've done a bunch of 5K's, 10K's, a 15K, & 2 Half marathons in my lifetime of running (which has been around 8 years or so).

2. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

Me me! I've only been running for just shy of 3 years but I love it. I've even done 3 marathons, and a triathlon!

3. emilymerritt

emilymerritt skrpbkmom

I just picked up running last year...I took a long break over the fall/holidays and I'm not just getting back into it! I did 3 5k's last year and hope to run those 3 again!

4. Angie4b1g

I even coach running now. I do Couch to 5k clinics, and right now we are doing a beginning half marathon clinic. I have 17 people training together for a half marathon in the spring, most of them their FIRST one. It's so exciting and fun!! I get all teary eyed when my clients cross the finish line. Even better than crossing it myself.

5. NicoleLeBlanc

NicoleLeBlanc Don't make me call your mother! Oh, wait ...

I love to run...errr...jog! I jog about 3 miles 3x a week. Trying to get up to a 10K!

6. listgirl

listgirl listgirl

In my running past I have run a full marathon and two half marathons. Now I just stick with 5k to 10k range and call it good.

7. cherryberry

cherryberry Hottie Patottie!

Um I run but I don't love it. :giggle

8. emmasmom

emmasmom emmasmom

9. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

Sorta... I have been trying to become a runner for a while. :blush I am really committed to keep at it this year though.

10. emmasmom

emmasmom emmasmom

We need to do a playlist exchange :)

11. Angie4b1g

You would L.O.L at mine. I have the most random crap on there. One minute I'll be rocking along to Ozzy Osbourne and the next minute, cheesy 70s love songs. Why does Whitney Houston always come on when I'm in the last 200 yards of a 5k, is what I'd like to know. LOL

12. emmasmom

emmasmom emmasmom

Whitney Houston, although I love her voice, would probably kill my motivation I can just hear her "I believe the children are our future...teach them well and let them lead the way......" yup that would do it :giggle

I have some odd songs on my playlist as well. I have a lot of Jay Z, Kanye, Drake, Little Wayne and then some Dave Matthews, Phoenix, old Kings of Leon (I say old b/c they went pop and lost everything they had that made them awesome...imo), and some other crazy stuff. You know what gets me that last mile every time though...Heavy D (may be RIP).

13. Angie4b1g

14. stampin_rachel

stampin_rachel The Lost Spice Girl

I started 1.5 years ago. I have only done 5Ks so far. I just get tired after 30 minutes :) I would like to build up to a 10K, though. Angie - any good programs for that or advice?

15. Angie4b1g

There is a 10k bridge program online, let me find it. If not, I can tell you what to do.

16. Angie4b1g

I found the app, but I can't find the written plan anywhere. I know it's out there! lol

Basically just keep running 3 miles 3 times a week and slowly add distance to ONE of the runs.

So 3 / 3 / 3
    then 3 / 3 / 3.5
    then 3 / 3 / 4

Then every 3rd week you scale it back, so week 4 would be 3 / 3 / 3 again. Week 5 and 6 you can add again. Until you're up to 6.2.

If you're finding yourself too tired at the end of 3 to go 3.5, try running a little slower. I tell them "however slow you need to go to finish this distance" even if that means that you are barely running. It's all about building your endurance, and not about speed at all.

17. judet

judet Active Member

Ooh, listening carefully. I can do 5k reasonably easily (on a good day!) and up to 4 miles occasionally but I have a major mental block getting up to 10k. I'd really like to do a 10k race this year, there are a couple locally in the autumn.

So do you carry on doing 2 3-milers a week and just increase the long run, is that right?

I actually really enjoy running when I'm keeping at it regularly, I just find it quite hard to keep the momentum going. Cos I'm a slacker.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  18. Angie4b1g

Yep, that's right. Just make sure you scale it back every 3rd week to let your body rest.

3 / 3 / 3
    3 / 3 / 3.5
    3 / 3 / 4
    3 / 3 / 3
    3 / 3 / 4.5
    3 / 3 / 5
    3 / 3 / 4
    3 / 3 / 5.5
    3 / 3 / 6
    3 / 3 / 3 (to rest up for the race!)
    3 / 3 / race day

Something along those lines. If you start to feel like it's too hard, or something is injured, just back off a bit.

19. judet

judet Active Member

Thanks so much, Angie - I'd read about increasing the distance a little each week but I'm not confident enough to formulate my own plan and believe in it, I wouldn't have factored in the rest weeks so that's really useful advice. I've seen a lot of 10k plans which include lots of speedwork and stuff but I think I definitely need to work on stamina first :)

20. stampin_rachel

stampin_rachel The Lost Spice Girl

Thanks for the advice Angie. Once it gets a bit warmer outside I will be trying this for sure. (As I cannot actually see myself running on the treadmill for more than 40 min)