Have you ever thought...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Patti, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Patti

Patti CT4Val, Heather, Sabrina

... that you needed a housekeeper and actually followed through with it?

I'm seriously considering it, perhaps, once every 2 weeks to start but wondered what the "going" rates are and what is cosher to ask for them to do.

Any advice/suggestions? TIA

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. 1girl1boy

1girl1boy Miss Glee!

Will be getting one in the next couple of weeks. Have been putting it off until after Christmas. I don't think there is much off limits (within reason, of course) for you to ask them to do. I will have mine dust, vacuum, sweep and mop, clean bathrooms, wash and change bed linens. She is charging me $60/cleaning and will come every 2 weeks. We built the expense into our budget for the year and I am pumped!

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I would LOVE to have just those things you listed Leslie... but I can't justify the cost.

4. carolee

carolee Humming along in the Neil mobile

We've had the same service on and off for the past ten years. They pretty much do the same things Leslie has done - though they don't wash our bed linens, just change them. They do a fantastic job on the bathrooms, kitchen and floors, which is so worth it to me. Our ladies charge $85 and they come every two weeks. There are four of them at a time and they are here for 30-45 minutes.

The night before they come I am always busy cleaning up for the cleaning ladies. Mostly getting rid of clutter and making sure the sheets are ready if I'm behind on laundry. The kids have to clean their rooms the day before they come, too. The house always looks so great after they are here and that lasts about a day or so before our family has cluttered it up again. :giggle

5. melrio

melrio I will hunt you!

This is why I can't justify the cost....my family does NOT put things away!

6. Patti

Patti CT4Val, Heather, Sabrina

Sounds great Carolee!! That is what I think I need! I told dh, if I get this promotion, I'm def. doing this FOR SURE! Dh is home all day because of his disability, but he really isn't much help in the cleaning dept, kwim? Working full time, I just don't have the time and energy and now that we have a bigger house.. oh boy...lol!

7. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

I have one. Worth every penny. And keeps me honest. Because knowing that she is coming every other Monday makes me get my crap together. LOL

8. stampin_rachel

stampin_rachel The Lost Spice Girl

I have a cleaning person come every week for 3 hours. She charges me $55 cash. She is reliable and does a decent job with dusting, vacuuming, cleaning the bathrooms and straightening the basement (kids play room). There are definitely things I would do differently, but being that I don't have to spend much time cleaning anymore - I am grateful.

9. mlewis

mlewis mlewis

When I started chemotherapy this past year, someone sent us money to have our house cleaned and we've continued the service. She's just a lady who does it on the side. She comes every other Friday, spends 3 hours at the house and does the following: strips, washes and remakes the beds, vacuums everywhere including cleaning baseboards, cleans bathrooms, sweeps, mops, kitchen sink, dusts. She also occasionally cleans out the fridge and other miscellaneous items. She only charges $45 for those 3 hours and does a fabulous job.

10. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

I need someone to clean my house! I can't dust because of my allergies so the dust tends to pile on. It's just me and my mom - and my dog who sheds a lot, but we need help.

11. christineirion

christineirion christineirion

I started having a housekeeper come weekly to clean starting in January 2010. It is without a doubt the best thing that has happened to me since having children. (I hate cleaning BTW.) Both parents work outside the house FT and we have toddler twin boys. The housekeeper has kept me sane. She does what Leslie described and I pay $65/week. She spends about 3 1/2 hours each time. Unfortunately, I do have to get up an hour or two early on the day she comes to pick up all our crap so she can clean! But that evening when I get home from work is my FAVORITE night of the week. I LOVE coming home to a clean house!

12. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

I have a housekeeper who comes every other week, sometimes weekly if things are too busy for me on the work front. I pay $120 per cleaning, which is the going rate here. (Ugh. Much more expensive than other parts of the country!) With kids and a german shepherd, I still have to vacuum daily but at least when she comes, the entire house is clean at once!

13. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

I used to have help, but just working part time, I couldn't justify it. The boys are complete slobs though and are worse now that they're older. I'm honestly afraid to have someone come in and see their rooms! LOL!

I've been paying for someone to clean my parents house the last few years, but now that my dad isn't paying for some of the services for my mom, he can totally afford it and he's going to take over paying her this year.

I would like someone to come clean every week, but I'd even take every other week. You think it would be cheaper down here in southern Calif, but even having an undocumented worker, they all want over $100. If I used a service, it would be a lot more than that. With Rick home on disability, I'll have to see if I can work it out. Especially if I go to work full time this year, there is no way I can keep up with everything.

14. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

I pay $100. Even if I got someone who did it as a side business, it would be $80+. So, I pay the $100 for the bonded and insured company person instead.